• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Potential Owners - Generator Model Numbers ARE Important!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Just bought what is suppose to be an 803a from Gov.Planet and need to pick it up 750 miles awway, I must have missed one picture and that was of the ID plate. It says that its a 400hz machine which is strange, also when you look at the pictures of the Generator it is a 60hz and the gauges are 60hz. I hoping i did not buy a boat anchor with 6 hrs. I have been very careful about not falling into buying a 400hz unit but a little concerned about what i really have. any thoughts would be helpful.
Picture 8 shows a 400hz data plate. Picture 25 shows a 60hz generator head.

Presuming the pics are of the same machine, the wrong data plate was stuck on it. That's my best guess as to what it is.

Unfortunately you won't really know what you have until you go get it.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 8 shows a 400hz data plate. Picture 25 shows a 60hz generator head.

Presuming the pics are of the same machine, the wrong data plate was stuck on it. That's my best guess as to what it is.

Unfortunately you won't really know what you have until you go get it.
My thoughts were a Data plate as well because of the Generator Head and Gauges reading 60hz and it being confirmed when called Gov.planet that it is in deed a 60hz unit, but I guess auctions are always a gamble

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That data plate is wrong from the factory... you got lucky on this one. The genhead is shown as 60hz, all gauges the same, and the front of the machine has a convenience outlet (the 400hz machines do not).

Data plate mixups are rare, but are documented.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I understand that the 400hz models can be used for resistive type loads such as heaters and incandescent lights, providing of course there are no inductive type loads in the circuits such as electric motors. Is this a true statement?

Scoobyshep

I understand that the 400hz models can be used for resistive type loads such as heaters and incandescent lights, providing of course there are no inductive type loads in the circuits such as electric motors. Is this a true statement?
Generally yes that is correct. Anything with a motor cant be used. Some things that use line frequency for a clock signal will also not work correctly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jmenende

Saw a guy on ebay the other day selling one of the new mep 1040 for 5 grand. Vague description and the plate foto could hardly be read (on purpose i suspect). I knew it was a 400hz unit and pm the guy to be honest and list those specs. Crickets.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a guy on ebay the other day selling one of the new mep 1040 for 5 grand. Vague description and the plate foto could hardly be read (on purpose i suspect). I knew it was a 400hz unit and pm the guy to be honest and list those specs. Crickets.
I just checked and he has two listings. Both look the same.

jmenende

I just checked and he has two listings. Both look the same.
Looks like the same unit at different prices. Both units are described as having 116 hours and uses the same pics. This time i can clearly zoom in the plate and shows 400hz. Im pretty sure he only really has 1 unit. If he parts it out, he can make more money over time since parts are scarce for these units right now.

Triple Jim

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you could use it for resistive loads. Lights, heaters and that sort of thing. And you would be surprised at how much 400 hertz stuff is used in our world.
Also any electrical/electronic equipment that has a power supply that first converts AC to DC (like most do) should be OK on 400 Hz. I'm not guaranteeing this of course. :)

Guyfang

Staff member
That data plate is wrong from the factory... you got lucky on this one. The genhead is shown as 60hz, all gauges the same, and the front of the machine has a convenience outlet (the 400hz machines do not).

Data plate mixups are rare, but are documented.
This can NEVER happen. No piece of military equipment can even last longer then two nano seconds with a wrong data plate. Every single piece of military equipment gets inventoried at LEAST once a year, sometimes more, The very first inventory that gen set went through, would have revealed the "problem" and it would have been fixed faster then a New York minute. Especially a 400 hertz gen set. They are a rare bear.

The Only time I ever saw a Data plate "Mix up" was when someone lost a data plate, and made a new one. And you can ALWAYS tell if a data plate is new, or its a substitute. No. Maybe the pictures got mixed up by the folks takeing the pictures for the sale. But

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This can NEVER happen. No piece of military equipment can even last longer then two nano seconds with a wrong data plate. Every single piece of military equipment gets inventoried at LEAST once a year, sometimes more, The very first inventory that gen set went through, would have revealed the "problem" and it would have been fixed faster then a New York minute. Especially a 400 hertz gen set. They are a rare bear.

The Only time I ever saw a Data plate "Mix up" was when someone lost a data plate, and made a new one. And you can ALWAYS tell if a data plate is new, or its a substitute. No. Maybe the pictures got mixed up by the folks takeing the pictures for the sale. But
I'm guessing it's a reset machine and the data plate f/u happened at reset and the machine wasn't issued.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The data plate with the NSN was correct, it was the data plate for the fuel/altitude ratings. Here is the listing for this chap: https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Generator-Sets-Fermont-MEP-803A-10kW-Gen-Set-Georgia/4219005

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dead give away is the 120 volt outlet. The 400 hertz model has no 120 volt outlet.
Just got back from the 1600 miles trip to pick up the unit. Indeed the bottom data plate is wrong from the factory. The one above is the correct 60hz plate. The unit is not a reset unit. built 2/2012 never put into service. All of the factory paperwork including service manual are sealed in package. aux fuel line and grounding kit are on the unit. Got home last night and looked for a few minutes this morning only issue i see is the radiator cap gasket stuck to the filler neck and will need replaced. Batteries still were taped off of the machine so hopefully these batteries will take a charge. Thank you for all the replies

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will probably find the batteries are crap, even though never used. Look forward to updates when you do get it fired, or if you need any assistance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks