• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Potential Owners - Generator Model Numbers ARE Important!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too Long, Didn't Read: MEP-813A is NOT the same thing as an MEP-803A.

I think with the storms that just rolled through the country, many people are anxiously looking at jumping on machines at auction... and I've seen it before, but not everyone either has all the info, or knows what to be looking for. I saw an MEP-813A machine roll across the block today at $6400 (so thats $7,360 before local tax and freight/time).

DO NOT buy a MEP-812A, MEP-813A, MEP-814A/B, etc. You see the major difference with these model numbers? The second number position is a 1 (as compared to the MEP-803A). This denotes a machine which produces electricity at 400hz. This is completely unusable for your home or business. This unit looks just like an MEP-803A. Same tactical enclosure, same engine... same pretty much 85% machine.... but its the 15% that will ruin your day.

These units are really only good for parts, unless you have a need for 400hz power (and thats a very limited scope, at these lower kw ratings) for someone who has studied the TM and knows what they are getting into.

Sadly, its not convertible to 60hz either without replacing a number of very expensive items, including the generator head itself. Details are important.

Last edited:

Ray70

Secondly... IF you jump the gun and end up buying a 400HZ machine by accident, Do NOT try to pawn it off on someone else pretending you "don't know much about it" or say you can "dial in the Frequency" or otherwise try to pass your mistake of on another unsuspecting person.
Own up to your mistake and sell it for what it really is.

Guyfang

Staff member
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you could use it for resistive loads. Lights, heaters and that sort of thing. And you would be surprised at how much 400 hertz stuff is used in our world. But yes, for the normal every day person, this is a waste.

More properly said, MEP-812A is a model number, not a part number.

That's the reason folks should look at the TM cover first, before buying anything that is ex military. Model numbers tell you lots of things. You just need to know what to look for. Take for instance the MEP-006A. Look at the TM cover and you see there are 3 different models. One is the MEP-006A. That is a 60 hertz model, that has NO governing system. Its a Utility set. Then there is the MEP-105A. Same set as the 006A, just has an governing system. There were two different systems, but the old system was superseded by the new system. But the set STILL held the same model number. Last was the MEP-115A. A 400 hertz, 416 volt gen set. It was 85% the same as the other two. But as LITD wrote, its that 15% that gets you.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for folks who buy a 400 hertz machine. They will study for ever before buying a car or truck. Compare, compare, look, read the tech info and discuss it with the milk man. But then go out and buy a gen set for thousands of dollars without a second thought. Just my two cents on the deal.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw that, CRAZY. Some low hour 803a generator plant units (2) for $9,000+
There is someone up in NH offering a power plant 10kw 400hz setup for sale, definitely wading in the grey space with the writeup (and won't answer emails regarding technical capability of said sets...). He wants almost 4k for each machine, like 9-10k for the whole setup.

Bluevic443

I had those three MEP-803A power plants on my watch list. Holy Smoke that was a steep closing price. People need to settle down and take a breath!!!
You buy boats in the winter for the same reason.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way someone could use this would be of they have a very large inverter (offgrid solar guys) even then you would need a rectifier. But yes. Look before you leap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yep....a nice big phase converter. I bought a couple AB 25 hp units some time back and had thoughts about doing just that.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exuberance when bidding can cause one to miss the 400 cycle issue....but hey, dump a couple my way for hydraulic pumps or irrigators.

elkslayer316

Hi Guys, Not to get off the subject but i did get an mep 803a. Where do you get parts besides Green Mountain Generators, they seem to be about 10 times more expensive than they should be.....I need 2 rockers and pushrods.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to dig around and find them. Those engines are used in more than the MEP generators. Search for Lister LPW4 parts.

I gave you a couple of examples of searching for parts on ebay in response to your PM.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too Long, Didn't Read: MEP-813A is NOT the same thing as an MEP-803A.

I think with the storms that just rolled through the country, many people are anxiously looking at jumping on machines at auction... and I've seen it before, but not everyone either has all the info, or knows what to be looking for. I saw an MEP-813A machine roll across the block today at $6400 (so thats $7,360 before local tax and freight/time).

DO NOT buy a MEP-812A, MEP-813A, MEP-814A/B, etc. You see the major difference with these model numbers? The second number position is a 1 (as compared to the MEP-803A). This denotes a machine which produces electricity at 400hz. This is completely unusable for your home or business. This unit looks just like an MEP-803A. Same tactical enclosure, same engine... same pretty much 85% machine.... but its the 15% that will ruin your day.

These units are really only good for parts, unless you have a need for 400hz power (and thats a very limited scope, at these lower kw ratings) for someone who has studied the TM and knows what they are getting into.

Sadly, its not convertible to 60hz either without replacing a number of very expensive items, including the generator head itself. Details are important.
I Just bought what is suppose to be an 803a from Gov.Planet and need to pick it up 750 miles awway, I must have missed one picture and that was of the ID plate. It says that its a 400hz machine which is strange, also when you look at the pictures of the Generator it is a 60hz and the gauges are 60hz. I hoping i did not buy a boat anchor with 6 hrs. I have been very careful about not falling into buying a 400hz unit but a little concerned about what i really have. any thoughts would be helpful.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the auction is over, you can post about it. What was the auction item number, or do you have a direct link?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks