• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Deuce with matching trailer - wrenching post

banditt1979

Today I decided to try and fix the fuel pump. A few days ago I installed a 10a fuse to replace the blown one. Today I checked and it had blown so I pulled the pump assembly. Looks like someone has been in the tank before. The lower part of the pump appeared to be clocked 90 degrees off so the hose was just barely on the pump. I removed the pump and reinstalled the rest of the assembly due to rain being forecast. I grabbed a 12v 1.25a phone power supply I had laying around, cut the plug off the end and started playing with the pump. After a few tries going back and forth with the polarity the pump actually started spinning!
20220306_182509.jpg

I reclocked the lower part of the pump and will reinstall it tomorrow. Probably will hook it up first just to make sure it works before final installation. Guess I'll keep the Carter pump I bought as a spare!

banditt1979

So I have a problem. I have a hole in my roof...
20220305_134723.jpg
Turret hole that is. Definitely has the cool factor going for it. But not so much when it rains. I'm trying to decide whether to make a cover to bolt onto it, or just patch it. I have a hood behind the garage that I can cut up to weld in a patch or create some kind of removable cover. Any and all suggestions are welcome. There are no other pieces to the turret other than a "bonnet" that supposedly covers it but I wasn't able to fit it over the lip of the opening.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I have a problem. I have a hole in my roof...
View attachment 860941
Turret hole that is. Definitely has the cool factor going for it. But not so much when it rains. I'm trying to decide whether to make a cover to bolt onto it, or just patch it. I have a hood behind the garage that I can cut up to weld in a patch or create some kind of removable cover. Any and all suggestions are welcome. There are no other pieces to the turret other than a "bonnet" that supposedly covers it but I wasn't able to fit it over the lip of the opening.
If you need a bonnet and can't find one, I would suggest that a Boat Cover manufacturer could easily create something that could be tied on. Gotta assume (know what happens when you assume!?) that there is a lip that sticks up above the deck of the roof that you could tie to... For a little while, I had a piece of 1/4" plastic just laying on top of one of my vehicles to keep the water out. Good for sitting still. Not so much for driving.

Last edited:

banditt1979

If you need a bonnet and can't find one, I would suggest that a Boat Cover manufacturer could easily create something that could be tied on. Gotta assume (know what happens when you assume!?) that there is a lip that sticks up above the deck of the roof that you could tie to... For a little while, I had a piece of 1/4" plastic just laying on top of one of my vehicles to keep the water out. Good for sitting still. Not so much for driving.
Yes there is about 3/4" that sticks up above the surface of the roof. It has a small edge or lip and also has leftover silicone on the top edge. I'll have to inspect it a bit more to determine if I can fit some sort of cover on it. I've seen some covers doing a search for the hmmvs and for 1078 vehicles (i think) but nothing for the deuce. Maybe these were custom field fitted?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes there is about 3/4" that sticks up above the surface of the roof. It has a small edge or lip and also has leftover silicone on the top edge. I'll have to inspect it a bit more to determine if I can fit some sort of cover on it. I've seen some covers doing a search for the hmmvs and for 1078 vehicles (i think) but nothing for the deuce. Maybe these were custom field fitted?
Cant' swear to it, but I believe most trucks have some "m number" piece that is the turret base.
Even in more modern days, each truck seems to have a different turret.

Possibly measure yours and post it here. From outside edge to edge.
Some of us have stuff that we could measure and maybe something would match what you have or need.

banditt1979

Cant' swear to it, but I believe most trucks have some "m number" piece that is the turret base.
Even in more modern days, each truck seems to have a different turret.

Possibly measure yours and post it here. From outside edge to edge.
Some of us have stuff that we could measure and maybe something would match what you have or need.
I did measure the inside cab ring to be 30 1/2" but i will measure the outside OD as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Deuce had a canvas cover for the hole. Look on EBay.

May I make a request. Could you post some close up pictures of the cut-out in your hard top (both from in the cab and on top of the roof)?

View attachment 860946
Heck of a deal - even with suprisingly high shipping. You won't get a custom made cover for a hundred bucks to your door.
IF IT FITS your truck.

HDN

Well I just got a call from the BMV and they left a message saying my title was rejected because it's a military vehicle! Anyone in Ohio ever have this problem?
What a load of crap considering the Ohio Motorpool is a thing. I can't think of anyone else here in OH that knows the ins and outs :( You could reach out to the Ohio Motorpool to see if any of them can help you out.

DaneGer21

Well I just got a call from the BMV and they left a message saying my title was rejected because it's a military vehicle! Anyone in Ohio ever have this problem?
Interesting. I just registered, and plated mine a few weeks ago! I’m up by Cleveland. Although my title is labeled generic as a Jeep TK(truck). They never asked a single question other than if I was restoring it since it’s a “1969”. Never asked about size, type or vehicle weight .

I put standard plates on it not historical.

banditt1979

What a load of crap considering the Ohio Motorpool is a thing. I can't think of anyone else here in OH that knows the ins and outs :( You could reach out to the Ohio Motorpool to see if any of them can help you out.
I contacted Ohio Motorpool and someone there told me to contact steel soldiers lol

I think someone in Columbus is confused. I have a title to a vehicle. Its from another state. It just needs to be transferred to Ohio. Sounds like I'll be making a phone call to Columbus tomorrow.

HDN

I contacted Ohio Motorpool and someone there told me to contact steel soldiers lol

I think someone in Columbus is confused. I have a title to a vehicle. Its from another state. It just needs to be transferred to Ohio. Sounds like I'll be making a phone call to Columbus tomorrow.
When I registered my truck, I took it to a rural DMV (which is more likely to register old farm trucks without hassle) and didn't say anything about it being military or former military. The DMV clerk I was working with was a little puzzled about the heavy weight I registered it at for historical plates, about which I explained that I'm part of a historical truck group and my buddies never had issues with registering their trucks historical. A few minutes later I walked out with historical plates.

Out of curiosity, what does the title call your truck? Mine says AM/GE P/U (AM General Pickup). When I changed my truck's registration address the clerk asked me what manufacturer AM/GE was. Guess they don't see AM/GEs much!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I registered my truck, I took it to a rural DMV (which is more likely to register old farm trucks without hassle) and didn't say anything about it being military or former military. The DMV clerk I was working with was a little puzzled about the heavy weight I registered it at for historical plates, about which I explained that I'm part of a historical truck group and my buddies never had issues with registering their trucks historical. A few minutes later I walked out with historical plates.

Out of curiosity, what does the title call your truck? Mine says AM/GE P/U (AM General Pickup). When I changed my truck's registration address the clerk asked me what manufacturer AM/GE was. Guess they don't see AM/GEs much!
I got a DMV clerk really confused when I told here this story - "REO made the first design, Studebaker made them till they went bankrupt, then Kaiser Jeep picked up production, that's when this one was made, and the company then became General Products Division of American Motors, then AM General and now (2008) belongs to Chrysler. it's a great big truck with a bed and metal sides, like an oversized pickup". It's titled and registered as a Kaiser pick-up, because Kaiser was in her database of manufacturers! She seized on two words - Kaiser and Pick-up!!

banditt1979

I'll have to look when I get my title back tomorrow. I think it says AM General. The lady at the bmv mentioned the make. Which doesnt make sense who cares who made it theres a valid title. I hope to find some common sense in Columbus tomorrow lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks