• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Deuce with matching trailer - wrenching post

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A hard hat
No joke... A set of GOOD safety Glasses.

I never will forget as a youngster when I dropped the jackshaft from between the transmission and the transfer case onto my face. Young and Dumb, I was wiggling a long screwdriver between the universal joint and the flange that it bolted to. Finally got it wiggled loose - and the thing more or less fell on my face. Between the screwdriver and the safety glasses, broke the fall and nothing on ME was broken. It hurt like mad, but I couldn't show any pain... We worked each over relentlessly. That was my time in the bucket.

I still own those safety glasses today.

Worth every penny I spent on that pair of Snap-On glasses...

banditt1979

Ok so no common sense found in Columbus. Lady was extremely rude and said we dont title military vehicles, off road use only. But I think I found the problem.
On the inspection she listed the model as M35A2. Title doesnt list the model. Guessing thats what is triggering the rejection. So I think I'll try again at a different location and just tell them to use the information on the title for the inspection. Only other issue could be the vin not being 17 digits.

banditt1979

Also someone told me I need to use the full number on the plate on the dash, I'm guessing to list on the inspection, to get the full 17 digits needed for a vin. Does anyone have information on this? Original title only has the 9 digit half.

DaneGer21

Also someone told me I need to use the full number on the plate on the dash, I'm guessing to list on the inspection, to get the full 17 digits needed for a vin. Does anyone have information on this? Original title only has the 9 digit half.
My local branch did NOT even question the short VIN. Although mine already had an Ohio title and didn’t need an inspection.

banditt1979

In other news, I successfully reassembled the fuel pump unit and reinstalled with a 15 amp fuse (it was all I had besides a lot of questionable slow blow fuses). Turned on the truck and I could feel it running in the tank. Mission accomplished? Hope so, I'll check under the hood tomorrow for any leaks and fire it up to see how it starts. My order of filters, gaskets and belts arrived today from Napa, there may be a trip to Rural King tomorrow or Friday for some oil. They've always had excellent prices, maybe I get a batch before the prices go up. It's 4.09 per gallon of cheap gas now, and 4.99 for diesel. I should start looking into filtering my used oil stock and mixing with gas.

DaneGer21

It's 4.09 per gallon of cheap gas now, and 4.99 for diesel. I should start looking into filtering my used oil stock and mixing with gas.
i know some on here are against it, but I don’t mind burning waste.

Here is my current recipe…
60% waste oil
30% diesel
10% gas

Mix and then filter to 1 micron. Dump in tank and enjoy!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
banditt1979 Make them do their job there at the department of motor vehicles... You have the real VIN stamped there on the frame. Don't add numbers to it and just stand there quietly - making them have to figure it out. Most have "Process and Procedures" guidelines and/or books. They just have to make the effort to look for instructions.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
banditt1979 Make them do their job there at the department of motor vehicles... You have the real VIN stamped there on the frame. Don't add numbers to it and just stand there quietly - making them have to figure it out. Most have "Process and Procedures" guidelines and/or books. They just have to make the effort to look for instructions.
On one of mine, I took the USA number, the four digit model number and the five digit actual serial number to make a 17 character VIN. DMV clerks put it in and I got my title and registration (as a 'property carrying' vehicle).

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where I live, the MTO ("DMV") is run by private contractors on behalf of the provincial (state) government. It totally depends on how the local office is being run whether the transaction is unremarkable or hair-pullingly frustrating.
Interesting to see that this appears to be the case in most of your places as well. "Know your enemy", "do not suspect malice where simple stupidity is a sufficient explanation" and the issue of "standing your ground" vs. "cunning workaround" all come up. I know which two offices to avoid at all cost when I have a historic vehicle registration issue.
I have had my share of hiccups with old vehicles; the funnier one was when I registered my Deuce, parked right outside of the office, visible through the window, and was asked for the colour.

My answer "green brown and black" (woodland camo) did not compute. The clerk had only one field for colour. She asked whether she could put "green". I said "it is green, brown and black. Pick one." She settled for "green". Whatever. Who cares?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where I live, the MTO ("DMV") is run by private contractors on behalf of the provincial (state) government. It totally depends on how the local office is being run whether the transaction is unremarkable or hair-pullingly frustrating.
Interesting to see that this appears to be the case in most of your places as well. "Know your enemy", "do not suspect malice where simple stupidity is a sufficient explanation" and the issue of "standing your ground" vs. "cunning workaround" all come up. I know which two offices to avoid at all cost when I have a historic vehicle registration issue.
I have had my share of hiccups with old vehicles; the funnier one was when I registered my Deuce, parked right outside of the office, visible through the window, and was asked for the colour.

My answer "green brown and black" (woodland camo) did not compute. The clerk had only one field for colour. She asked whether she could put "green". I said "it is green, brown and black. Pick one." She settled for "green". Whatever. Who cares?
May as well laugh about it.
That keeps us all sane and keeps us from wanting to choke somebody that really needs it...

dmetalmiki

One thing I will need to do is invest in some specialty tools. I have a mountain of standard automotive tools due to collecting and restoring many cars over the years. Any suggestions on what to add to work on the deuce?
A LARGE ......Hammer!))>.......n' a good heavy jack and stands.
Great looking truck by the way.
As said previously , CHECK that brake fluid.
If it mixes with water ( It is thixotropic ), and goes cloudy it is dot dot 3 or 4.

If it does not mix with water it is dot 5.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get it why the turret hole is annoying, with the need to make it weather tight. However, it is a feature that really sets your truck apart from any look-alikes. It is definitely cool! I would not weld it up or permanently close it. I'd probably go on the hunt for a cab stiffener plate and a ring mount..... :)
Gotta bring her back to her former menacing glory!

banditt1979

I think the turret hole is bad asx. But the rain doesn't. There is a lot of black silicone around it which makes me think someone had an idea. I think I'd like to keep it. As you said it sets it apart and I like to allow the bad asxery to continue to live on. In the meantime a tarp and a piece of plywood will keep the cab dry. My daughter and I tested out the fuel pump. Truck fired up right away. Rural King batteries 99 bucks each have held their charge since early February.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks