• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Deuce with matching trailer - wrenching post

ToddJK

I really didn't want to buy chinese tools but holy cow. A decent brand name impact is spensive! Just as a gallon of milk was $5.09 this morning. Ridiculous
I hear ya. Air tools, power tools, and hand tools all cost lots of $$ for quality US made, but some of the Chinese stuff isn't so bad. One that surprises me most was my Harbor Freight angle grinder that my dad got for me on my 18th birthday. I'm 35 now and still using it and I've used it a lot! I also search Facebook marketplace a lot for locals selling tools and stuff. I got a heavy duty work bench for $50, a 6" craftsman vice for $75, and a small toolbox full of random sockets from 1/4"-1/2 drive which was like $10 or something like that. Garage sales too my friend, always check them out. I hate to see people get divorced and what not, but in many of those cases, they sell so much stuff for cheap. Same when there was a mechanic in the family who passed and the other family members don't want the tools.

ToddJK

I still need a torque multiplier myself. Which ones was y'all looking at on Amazon?
HDN- you know what brand you have?
I figure if I get something that others say works, which I trust folks on here before I'd trust many of the Amazon reviews, lol.

banditt1979

I still need a torque multiplier myself. Which ones was y'all looking at on Amazon?
I figure if I get something that others say works, which I trust folks on here before I'd trust many of the Amazon reviews, lol.
This is the one I was considering. But my budd socket is 3/4" drive so I won't be getting this one aua

1648342612552.png

Last edited:

banditt1979

Looking at this again, I can see how it works with the rear wheels but what does the leg sit up against on the front wheels or the inner rear wheels? The budd socket I bought is like 3 inches long.

HDN

I don't think it actually has a brand. It has a generic description for a name - I'll have to check in my shop tomorrow. It's very similar to the one that @banditt1979 showed there. The Chinese ones on Amazon seem to be the same basic tool but may come with different sockets. The torque multipliers are a 1-inch drive and you'll really benefit from getting a 1-inch drive socket set from Harbor Freight, especially if you get two-piece bolt-together rims for the truck which require a 1-1/8" deep socket.

HDN

I had the same brand saved haha, the one I found is a little less “powerful” if I understand correctly…
I recommend getting at least a 1:64 gear ratio multiplier. If you use a torque wrench with it - a 1/4" drive will do! - add 20% to the torque setting to account for slop in the gear train. For reference, Snap-On torque multipliers have 15% slop.

banditt1979

I did manage to get the new temp sending unit installed and noticed that the wire clip holding the wire in place on the intake manifold was just hanging and one of the four nuts was missing so I dug into my collection and found a nut and lockwasher to re-secure the wires in place. That would be the third "clip" or whatever you want to call it, that I've reattached something to the truck. One was an air line going into the cab near the steering shaft that comes out of the firewall, another was an air line in the same area, driver side, running vertical down past the frame. You can't have loose lines flopping around in there especially in an emergency situation. I'll need to go through the rest of the truck to make sure nothing else is loose. Right now is is 31 degrees here in lovely Cincinnati. Looking like chilly for a few more days. I'm getting tired of spring teasing!

ToddJK

This is the one I was considering. But my budd socket is 3/4" drive so I won't be getting this one aua

View attachment 862681
That's probably what I'll end up getting. I've done lug nuts on the deuces a few times and I was using a 3/4" breaker bar with a 6' cheater bar to break them loose. That wasn't so much the issue as I can't torque the lug nuts that way. I just made them all as tight as I could with just the breaker bar and then gave each nut a full turn with the cheater bar, playing the guessing game which can be dangerous, so I prefer to do it right, but when you have a flat on the side of the road, gotta do what you can.

banditt1979

Today was a good day. Picked up 6 never used NDT tires along with a nos never used still in the sealed bag long air pack for a good price, got my master cyl and rebuilt air pack installed, swept out the bed of the truck and loaded my tires up. Good exercise!
So far I've really enjoyed working on this beast. Nothing I've done to it has been difficult and I haven't destroyed anything. Hope that trend continues as I move forward with new brake lines and rebuilding the wheel cylinders.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque multiplier is on my list too.

I love my avid power 1/2” cordless impact wrench.

At some point I’ll be hooking up air in my shop, then I’m going up to 1” impact and other groovy tools. My tools seem to be mating and making lots more tools.

banditt1979

I recommend getting at least a 1:64 gear ratio multiplier. If you use a torque wrench with it - a 1/4" drive will do! - add 20% to the torque setting to account for slop in the gear train. For reference, Snap-On torque multipliers have 15% slop.
Do you use the torque multiplier to torque the nuts back on? Most of what I have read so far says dont do it and to use a torque adapter.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you use the torque multiplier to torque the nuts back on? Most of what I have read so far says dont do it and to use a torque adapter.
Not everybody has a 3/4 inch torque wrench and they aren't cheap either. Using a half inch and a torque multiplier will work.

---

And then comes the other part of the discussion... When I worked on trucks to pay my bills, I never torqued a wheel onto a military truck. Just the sights and sounds of the impact wrench hammering the lugs down tight was more than enough. For whatever it's worth, I never had one get loose or come off (ever).

Then as part of the torque discussion - I have to say one of the things that I learned was my Blue Point half inch impact wasn't nearly as good (powerful) as the Ingersol Rand 238. When the BP would run the nut into contact with the wheel, about 12 "hits" would be tight. With the IR (Ingersol) about 6 "hits" was a gracious plenty...

Guess the thing I am trying to say is, with enough OJT experience there is no need for a wheel to be torqued with a measuring device. But how often does the MV enthusiast need to remove and reinstall a wheel with a tire onto their truck?

I would suggest that the first few times using a half inch torque wrench and a multiplyer is cheap insurance...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks