• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Deuce with matching trailer - wrenching post

banditt1979

Mullaney I hear ya. I've been wrenching on cars for well over 27 years, as a hobby, and have never torqued a lug nut in my life. But with cars I think the typical lug nut torque is like 80 lbs and I have a good "feel" for that setting. Not so much for the 400-450lbs the big guys need. The impact wrench I bought says it can do 1000lbs so maybe I'll try to get a feel for good torque on the deuce. Sometimes I read too much and too much information...well you know. I really just want to make sure I have all the tools I need before I start popping off wheels for the wheel cylinder rebuild.

Correction. Looks like 32 years when I got my start on a 66 Mustang. Damn time flies

HDN

Ever since I've had the wheels overtightened on my daily drivers by idiot mechanics, I've always torqued my lug nuts to spec. I do more of my own wheel and driveline work now too. Those guys just like to tighten the crap out of stuff and just move on to the next thing. My old minivan had to have a lug nut torched off and a stud replaced by the idiot who overtightened it. I should've made them replace the rim after that too 😒

banditt1979

Ever since I've had the wheels overtightened on my daily drivers by idiot mechanics, I've always torqued my lug nuts to spec. I do more of my own wheel and driveline work now too. Those guys just like to tighten the crap out of stuff and just move on to the next thing. My old minivan had to have a lug nut torched off and a stud replaced by the idiot who overtightened it. I should've made them replace the rim after that too 😒
I had a similar situation with my wife's Trailblazer. When we had new tires put on it and I went to rotate the wheels the lug nuts were stoopid tight. I could personally barely get them off and I have an assortment of breaker bars (long steel tubes). Needless to say when we get new tires here in a few weeks I may have to walk out into the shop. Problem is they'll hire anyone these days

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had a similar situation with my wife's Trailblazer. When we had new tires put on it and I went to rotate the wheels the lug nuts were stoopid tight. I could personally barely get them off and I have an assortment of breaker bars (long steel tubes). Needless to say when we get new tires here in a few weeks I may have to walk out into the shop. Problem is they'll hire anyone these days
Agreed. Especially with automobiles, light trucks, and vans. I worked for a tire company on Saturdays for several years. The guy who owned the place made a point of making sure that I understood not to "beat the lugnuts to death" when I first started. There were even some customers that specified their lugnuts be tightened with a 4-Way. He was all about customer service - and any phone call about over-tightened lugnuts made him pretty grumpy.

@banditt1979 you are right for sure! Anybody who will work has a job. Brains or not :-(

@HDN you are right on the money too! Like has been said before, we can't fix stupid. :-(

ToddJK

Not everybody has a 3/4 inch torque wrench and they aren't cheap either. Using a half inch and a torque multiplier will work.

---

And then comes the other part of the discussion... When I worked on trucks to pay my bills, I never torqued a wheel onto a military truck. Just the sights and sounds of the impact wrench hammering the lugs down tight was more than enough. For whatever it's worth, I never had one get loose or come off (ever).

Then as part of the torque discussion - I have to say one of the things that I learned was my Blue Point half inch impact wasn't nearly as good (powerful) as the Ingersol Rand 238. When the BP would run the nut into contact with the wheel, about 12 "hits" would be tight. With the IR (Ingersol) about 6 "hits" was a gracious plenty...

Guess the thing I am trying to say is, with enough OJT experience there is no need for a wheel to be torqued with a measuring device. But how often does the MV enthusiast need to remove and reinstall a wheel with a tire onto their truck?

I would suggest that the first few times using a half inch torque wrench and a multiplyer is cheap insurance...
You're right, doing it enough you just learn by the feel and sounds. I've never owned any air tools and still don't, lol. I want some but hand tools I've always had so I made them work.

For a deuce, I used a 3/4" breaker bar with a 6' pipe. I made the lug nuts pretty tight. It's better to make sure they are tight than not right enough. I made the mistake of forgetting that the driver side was left hand one day and I was reaping on this lug nut to get it off. I was using every ounce of my being and the truck was even moving a little too. About 5 mins in I managed to sheer the lug nut off. Felt stupid afterwards when I realized it was left hand thread 🤦. Needless to say, I knew from that moment on, those lug nuts can handle some torque unlike those on regular vehicles.

banditt1979

All the info I have received on this site and this thread has been great. Thank you to all!

Today and yesterday I have been trying to break the bead on 2 of my spares, no luck. Yesterday it was using my 3 ton floor jack with ratchet straps, was able to get the back side of one wheel broke loose, tried the split ring side and broke the strap. Called it. Today I tried to lower my silverado with a piece of wood under the drum onto the tire. Worked well with its own tires when I had to replace the TPMS sensors but didn't do poop with the deuce wheels. Guess I should have the beads broke at the local tire store? Any suggestions?

HDN

I'd be tempted to take those to a shop to get them done. They'll have the big tools to get them apart and back together in no time. Around where I live the shops prefer those wheels to the two-piece bolt-together wheels because they don't take as much time or effort to swap tires.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All the info I have received on this site and this thread has been great. Thank you to all!

Today and yesterday I have been trying to break the bead on 2 of my spares, no luck. Yesterday it was using my 3 ton floor jack with ratchet straps, was able to get the back side of one wheel broke loose, tried the split ring side and broke the strap. Called it. Today I tried to lower my silverado with a piece of wood under the drum onto the tire. Worked well with its own tires when I had to replace the TPMS sensors but didn't do poop with the deuce wheels. Guess I should have the beads broke at the local tire store? Any suggestions?
What you have to do is "break the bead" off both sides of the rim. Tire shops (for cars) do that easily with a tire machine. One breaker on the bottom and another on the top with everything held in place through the center hole on the rim. Those machines are too small for big truck tires though... :-(

On Deuce and other big truck rims, remove the valve stem to drain the tire. Flop the tire down on the ground. Get a gallon jug with a soapy mixture and punch a hole in the cap, then squirt the "slickem" all the way around the rim and the edge of the tire. Next, a new tool called a duckbill hammer - swung perfectly - hits the edge of the tire near the rim. The wedge of the hammer separates the bead from the rim. Move yourself around 10 or 15 degrees and hit it again. Generally five or six perfectly aimed his pops the tire off the rim. Turn the rim over and repeat the process.

There is a lock ring tool and a tire spoon that you will need as well. Watching a good (experienced) tire man work is pretty amazing.

AND / OR the other choice is watch an experienced guy do the first one, then you do the others. Or watch a YouTube video or several maybe.

Duckbill Hammer -  Manual.jpg This is the manual version described above.

Another alternative is the more automated device below.
Duckbill Hammer - Hydraulic Bead Breaker @ Northern Tool.jpg

No more often than you need to pop off a tire, there is no shame in hiring this particular job out. Unless you want to add this to your big truck syllabus...

Below is a link that discusses the average guy doing what you are getting ready to do and discusses the SAFETY CAGE so your head doesn't get ripped off. Yeah, dangerous work. Watch a few videos for sure...

Last edited:

banditt1979

What you have to do is "break the bead" off both sides of the rim. Tire shops (for cars) do that easily with a tire machine. One breaker on the bottom and another on the top with everything held in place through the center hole on the rim. Those machines are too small for big truck tires though... :-(

One Deuce and other big truck rims, remove the valve stem to drain the tire. Flop the tire down on the ground. Get a gallon jug with a soapy mixture and punch a hole in the cap, then squirt the "slickem" all the way around the rim and the edge of the tire. Next, a new tool called a duckbill hammer - swung perfectly - hits the edge of the tire near the rim. The wedge of the hammer separates the bead from the rim. Move yourself around 10 or 15 degrees and hit it again. Generally five or six perfectly aimed his pops the tire off the rim. Turn the rim over and repeat the process.

There is a lock ring tool and a tire spoon that you will need as well. Watching a good (experienced) tire man work is pretty amazing.

AND / OR the other choice is watch an experienced guy do the first one, then you do the others. Or watch a YouTube video or several maybe.

View attachment 863212 This is the manual version described above.

View attachment 863213

No more often than you need to pop off a tire, there is no shame in hiring this particular job out. Unless you want to add this to your big truck syllabus...

Below is a link that discusses the average guy doing what you are getting ready to do and discusses the SAFETY CAGE so your head doesn't get ripped off. Yeah, dangerous work. Watch a few videos for sure...

Good thread. One wheel I broke the rear bead with a 3 ton floor jack and straps. Then broke the straps on the front side. The weight of my silverado couldn't break the bead on the two wheels I tried. So maybe Tire Discounters can help lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good thread. One wheel I broke the rear bead with a 3 ton floor jack and straps. Then broke the straps on the front side. The weight of my silverado couldn't break the bead on the two wheels I tried. So maybe Tire Discounters can help lol
It really is amazing to watch somebody with skills and a hammer do the job. It isn't how hard you hit that tire - its more about where - and letting the soap do its job to slide that duckbill up into the crack that it creates.

ToddJK

If you can't get the tires or wish to hire the job out, normal shops usually don't touch those tires. I've even had semi mechanics tell me they won't touch those tires. The ones that usually do are the guys who work on farm equipment as the tires have to be done manually. I'd look up any farm and equipment repair shops around and give them a call and see what they tell ya. I found a guy who not only did the tires, but knew everything about the multi-fuel motors and how the deuce worked up and down due to old farm tractors using white motors and old trucks using similar parts. It wasn't cheap but his work was phenomenal and the job was done well within a few days.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

One Deuce and other big truck rims, remove the valve stem to drain the tire. Flop the tire down on the ground. Get a gallon jug with a soapy mixture and punch a hole in the cap, then squirt the "slickem" all the way around the rim and the edge of the tire. Next, a new tool called a duckbill hammer - swung perfectly - hits the edge of the tire near the rim. The wedge of the hammer separates the bead from the rim. Move yourself around 10 or 15 degrees and hit it again. Generally five or six perfectly aimed his pops the tire off the rim. Turn the rim over and repeat the process.

View attachment 863212 This is the manual version described above.

View attachment 863213

Our club (MVCSC) has one of the hydraulic bead breakers. Works great!

banditt1979

I just want the beads broken, nothing else. Hopefully a shop around here can do it. I have 2 wheels loaded into my daily and am going to try a couple places on the way home tomorrow. I have a locking air nozzle, long hoses and a long chain I can wrap around the wheel to pump it up. I can do it out in the middle of the yard so if it blows no one will get hurt.

DaneGer21

@banditt1979 Sorry to go back a page or two, but when you rebuilt your master cylinder, did you hone it out? Or just a “basic” parts swap rebuild? Any tips or advice? I gotta pull mine out tonight as it’s leaking behind the boot. I already have a rebuild kit at the house.

banditt1979

@banditt1979 Sorry to go back a page or two, but when you rebuilt your master cylinder, did you hone it out? Or just a “basic” parts swap rebuild? Any tips or advice? I gotta pull mine out tonight as it’s leaking behind the boot. I already have a rebuild kit at the house.
I watched a video from tactical repairs which helped. I intended on honing it but when I got it apart the cylinder looked pretty good, still had some cross hatch to it so I just reassembled it with a rebuild kit from Eriks Military. It looked good enough that I kept everything that I replaced. Pretty straight forward, not many parts to it. Just take everything out, keep it in order and reinstall same way. I thought I took more pictures of it but I guess not. The air pack was a bit more complicated but again I watched tactical repairs and followed his advice.

banditt1979

It really is amazing to watch somebody with skills and a hammer do the job. It isn't how hard you hit that tire - its more about where - and letting the soap do its job to slide that duckbill up into the crack that it creates.
I may try to find one of those duck bill hammers and give it another try. Using a sledge it just laughed at me and aggravated my hands. Or take a front wheel off the deuce and try it since it is a few tons heavier than my silverado :shrugs:

DaneGer21

I watched a video from tactical repairs which helped. I intended on honing it but when I got it apart the cylinder looked pretty good, still had some cross hatch to it so I just reassembled it with a rebuild kit from Eriks Military. It looked good enough that I kept everything that I replaced. Pretty straight forward, not many parts to it. Just take everything out, keep it in order and reinstall same way. I thought I took more pictures of it but I guess not. The air pack was a bit more complicated but again I watched tactical repairs and followed his advice.
Thanks! I got the MC out, now to rebuild at work tomorrow haha. Thanks again!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I may try to find one of those duck bill hammers and give it another try. Using a sledge it just laughed at me and aggravated my hands. Or take a front wheel off the deuce and try it since it is a few tons heavier than my silverado :shrugs:
It would be worth watching somebody do it. I searched "cincinatti truck tire" and there seems to be a lot of Firestone truck tire dealers in the state. Might be that you have something close by you. A few minutes watching and voicing an interest - somebody might be willing to give you a few tips.

banditt1979

Thanks! I got the MC out, now to rebuild at work tomorrow haha. Thanks again!
It shouldn't be hard at all, worst part for me was holding the guts in the cylinder and forcing the retaining ring into the groove. If you have a vise it will be cake. Or you could use a large c clamp. Wish I thought of that at the time :cookoo:

banditt1979

It would be worth watching somebody do it. I searched "cincinatti truck tire" and there seems to be a lot of Firestone truck tire dealers in the state. Might be that you have something close by you. A few minutes watching and voicing an interest - somebody might be willing to give you a few tips.
I've watched a few videos, but my hands still feel the ringing and pain from trying that sledge hammer :LOL:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks