• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New toy I just got

AllenEM

Need some TLC the PO did some rewiring put some 12 v parts on it.

I need to put a back window in it ( it came with one), put the dash back together. put batteries in it and see if it will start. it has been sitting for a year and a half.:neutral:

Attachments

AllenEM

well I got me some batteries today put them in and tried to figure out what the PO did to the wirings? He said he converted it to 12 volt but it still has two alt. and it looked like the the wirings is still all hooked up to them as far as I can tell. He has bypassed the starter relay and has both batteries hooked up to to firewall bus bar. I need to hook up the glow plugs and figureout why it did not turn over the start only engaged the flywheel. I will try to post some pictures from under the hood soon.

OL AG '89

Allen,
Great looking truck!!!
Get the TM and read about the circuits
Find out what is still 24v and what was changed to 12vlt, using a voltmeter.
I suggest you convert all abck to 24v... MUCH easier to troubleshoot with the TM's

GOOD LUCK

rnd-motorsports

The Only thing that would have been 24 volt is the starter! you said the starter engaged the flywheel but the engine did not turn over if the batterys are fully charged then I would take starter off and have it checked or see if its still 24 volt if it is either replace with 12 volt or change back to 24 volt battery hook up and if you do that you will need to rehook the starter relay. alot of guys on here thinks that 24 volt is the only way to go. I think its up to you 12 volt makes for less things to go wrong and you can get parts at any parts store just my thoughts. good luck keep us informed!!!

QuickSilver

Nothing wrong with a 12v conversion as long as whoever did it knew what he was doing and did it completely and correctly.

rnd-motorsports

Cant really call it a 12 volt conversion the truck is really a 24 volt conversion from 12 volt system to start with and all anybody needs is to understand the old trucks just a simple system most just over think it and makes it complicated. Even the 24 volt set up they put on them are simple just what the military needed to make the trucks meet there needs crude set up but it worked! like I said some just dont understand simple systems these trucks are back when they were simple now days well dif story anyways some should just leave the hood closed and take it to somebody that knows them if they dont know have seen some real bad coble jobs that make you wonder sometimes! aua

AllenEM

I plan to put it back as the military had it. I was looking thought some of my parts and I have a 24v starter so I will go back to that and do the starter relay upgrade and I have some 24vglow plugs also so all I need is two relays ( starter and glow plugs). And then we will is what happens.
Thanks for all your input.

rnd-motorsports

The only thing on the truck that is 24 volt is the starter nothing else the glow plugs are 12 volt not 24 volt ! everything is 12 volt the risistor on the firewall behind air cleaner drops the voltage to 12 volt for the glow plugs the relay under the dash the doghead everybody makes ref. to is there so the 12 volt ignition switch can switch the 24 volt starter simple simple everybody just thinks it hard! ! GOOD LUCK keep us updated!

OL AG '89

Haven't heard the Hummer runs 24vlt GP's.....
What part number are they?
A/C ????
I just did the GP replacement with the A/C 60G's, but need to do the 12volt conversion to the circuit for them.
Maybe just replace with the 24 vlt from Hummer

AllenEM

Well I worked on the truck between fires this weekend. clean up some of the wiring and tried to start it and again it would not turn over so took the glow plugs out and tried to turn it over with the crankshaft front bolt with a breaker bar still no movement. not good :evil:

have not had time to look in to it any more.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
If you get that thing to run and you get those 24V GPs to work, please let me know. I have a ass ton of 24V plugs and I don't wanna spend $90 on AC 60Gs.

Mike :beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what I always wondered about the Blazers - both the military and the civvy ones : what is going on with the busted rear windows on them? Almost every one I have seen in person either had a missing rear window, or it wouldn't roll up/down. I have a hard time believing that out of all the problems a car could have, the back window is the lynchpin on Blazers....

AllenEM

If you get that thing to run and you get those 24V GPs to work, please let me know. I have a ass ton of 24V plugs and I don't wanna spend $90 on AC 60Gs.

Mike :beer:
My last Blazer I had I run the 24v glow plugs and they worked great I just bypassed the res. pack run 24v straight to the relay. It all worked great. I had a ton of them too that is why I ran them.

AllenEM

well after lots of thought and weighting all of my options on what to do with this locked up engine and what I want to use the truck for I believe I'm going to go with a SBC 350 gas so I will be starting a ENGINE SWAP THREAD soon. I did a search for one and did not fine one.