• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

Pawnshop

Next time around, I'm coming back as a Marine again and I ain't leaving till I hit 30.
Interesting you say that, of all the stories from former military personnel I have heard over the years, the most common thing is "I WISH I had stayed in!"

Yes, RC's Son is good people and a good Marine, ALL of RC's children are ones "to ride the river with", as is their Father!

baseballump

RC Gland to see your boy doing well.
A question Why does the Military have those type truck with the cab out front. Over the road truckers did away with cab overs years ago??
Also, looking at the pics of the guy hitting everything, my wife must have been his driving instructor.

B3.3T

Cabover designs allow for much efficient use of space. The Pinzgauer 710M, for example, is only inches longer than a MUTT and no wider, yet it hauls 10 people, or 2000lbs. of gear. 8ft. bed in a 12ft. vehicle.

Over the road US trucks, conventionals are quieter and easier to service. That's why cabovers lost favor in the 1980's.

Durango_USMC

Great to hear your son is doing great out there! After this thread... I did go and see a V-100 for the first time... Battered, rusty, and in disrepair... but from what I'm told they're still gov. property so I guess I'll have to poke around the firing ranges and see if I can make an offer on some scrap :/

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why does the Military have those type truck with the cab out front.
In addition to B3's comments, it also reduces the overall height of the vehicle, makes transporting it easier and with more options.

In the first pic, the trailer...is that an M870?
Yes, M870A2, I believe. They had a bunch of them in his motor pool, they have "locked" necks.

Next time around, I'm coming back as a Marine again and I ain't leaving till I hit 30. Wonder what kind of heli lift platforms they'll have then? :beer:
I too want to do it all again, and I bet they will STILL have CH-53s! They replaced my baby (the CH-53D) with a later version, the CH-53E, and looks like that will be replaced with yet another -53.

interesting mural on the back of the LIP's water truck.
At least it appears "Striker" didn't hit that one! He apparently hit both those gates on one trip. :roll:

Cheers

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They replaced my A's with former Navy RH-53D's. When the Navy picked up their E models, the Marine Reserve Squadrons got them. Sweet birds from what I heard. Only time I played with the D's was at Iwo Yuma during WTI. Scary how much power they had after our under powered A's. Let's see the K's will be coming on line with the next 10-15 years. My bet is we'll have Y or Z models by the time we get back to the s**k. Just hope they go back to two engines. That 3rd engine is scary. And to keep it up to snuff, make it big enough in the cabin to roll one or two V-100's inside.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Danger Ranger, your quote is authored by Chris Kyle. Is the book still in print? Just wondering, his last name and mine are the same. Curious to see if we're related.
And he is 100% correct. Remove driver, vehicle stops, sometimes fairly quickly, sometimes not. If said driver is cruzing in a V-100, bigger bullet needed; say 20 MM?:twisted:
Jeff Kyle

Danger Ranger

Danger Ranger, your quote is authored by Chris Kyle. Is the book still in print? Just wondering, his last name and mine are the same. Curious to see if we're related.
And he is 100% correct. Remove driver, vehicle stops, sometimes fairly quickly, sometimes not. If said driver is cruzing in a V-100, bigger bullet needed; say 20 MM?:twisted:
Jeff Kyle
Congrats, you are the first to comment on the quote. My buddy just bought the book at BAM last week. So yes, you can still get it. It is a good book, I have read some of it on and off as my buddy reads it. He can't put it down hardly.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you should mention Chris, he passed through here not long ago, nice guy. We have some mutual friends.

In all honesty, despite the early Cad-Gage claims, I don't think I would want to be in a V if someone were using a .50 against it. Unless it hits at just enough of an oblique angle, it's going through! :shock:
Not much in the way of light armour will stop a .50.

Cheers

baseballump

Rory You are so right about that. Even light arms made dents in that armour. But, like we were told " A Little Armour is Better than NO Armour" Always remeber Cad-Gage was trying to sale more of the V s to the Military.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I had the honour of meeting Vann, a Vietnam vet who has many more hours operating V-100's than I can ever hope to achieve. He came down for a visit to see the V, and as "forward recon" for a larger group, including Baseballump, who are coming to visit in July.

Vann is a great character, told me many tales of his time operating V's in Vietnam, and showed me photo albums that made me positively swoon. There is so much nose art, local modifications, etc., recorded in those books, they are an absolute treasure trove. I have been promised copies, and will seek permission to share some. I had a wonderful time talking to him.

My knowledge of V's and their operation has been so expanded in just a few hours that it will take a while to digest it all.

This is the first time an actual V veteran has examined my vehicle since it was restored, so I was anxious to see how it would stand up, but I got a thumbs up and feel more relaxed now.
Of course, my vehicle is fitted out per the manual, and represents service condition post-Vietnam, so there were some differences in how they were equipped. It was really interesting to learn what the differences were (mostly the gear that they dumped from inside).

Louie, thank you for the introduction, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you, and seeing Vann again, in July.

Cheers

Pic 1- Vann "accidentally" covers the USMC markings on my V for the photo
Pic 2- We spent a couple of hours sitting like this while we talked (I wisely mostly listened)

PS- Vann had some amusement over the dehumidifier in the V (the white thing on the transmission cover) and me babying it, but it is surprising how much condensation would form inside, mucking up my work. That little device slurps up a lot of the moisture.
I actually think my girlfriend's goal in taking pic 2 was to get the dog, the rest of us were incidental!

Attachments

Last edited:

baseballump

Rory Vann was first because he lives right up the road from you. You have just started with the stories Mike could write book The rest of us can't wait to get down there. Vann has some great stories. I can tell you this any of the pictues can be sent out I just wish I had take some myself. like I told you early on by the time we got the V s a lot of the stuff had been change plus we changed thing to make them easier to use for us..

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Louie. There is stuff in those photos that I had never seen before, like the modified mirrors, and lots of really clear shots of the nose art.

Some of the interiors, like the tan one and the pink :)shock:), were very interesting. And yes, there is a story about that, and a general, of which more anon.

Vann chose not to drive the V this trip, though I offered, but said he would like to when y'all are all here.

Cheers

baseballump

Rory One time we were told to repaint our V s OD green But when we were done all letters and nose art had to be done in black No light colors because that would make the V a target. Doesn't that sound like the military. So we painted around the picture on the front and took what came our way. If wasn't much other than don't do that again. we didn't repaint any of the others V when I was there.

Rickv100

From my limited research on the usage of the V-100's in Vietnam, it depended on the unit. Some commanders allowed nose art some didn't

Which MP units where you with? I think either the 716th or the 720th did not allow nose art.

Rick

baseballump

Rick Vann and I were with the 630th MP co Cam Ranh Bay. When you got into a unit like ours you learn the weapons we used, convoy control , and how to work on your own vehicles. We most took care of our own jeeps and V s. And things changed as commanders change or as First Sgt. change. Most of the V s in our running area had something on the front. The 720 and 716 ere down around Long Binh and Saigon

jhyatt7

This vehicle is truly remarkable. I have had the pleasure of crawling around inside it, and Im amazed at the detail and painstaking effort M813rc has put into this vehicle. This thing is frickin sexy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks