• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks.

I actually don't have any good V150 patterns. The few I have seen were in the Panamanian pattern (sorry, not using that one!), or some random splodge-flage.
I would love to see it if you have it. [thumbzup]

And I always disliked the M1117 pattern, it is just not proportioned correctly.

Cheers

Elwenil

The M706 pattern does exist, I clearly remember seeing it, but it's apparently not in my collection. If I remember right, and there is no real indication other than a gut feeling that I am remembering right, I think I saw the pattern posted on a modeling forum. If anything, modelers are some of the most anal people about details and my Googling about MVs frequently leads me to a modeling site, lol. From what I can see from my Jane's manuals, the M706 and M1117 patterns are virtually identical and are very similar to what you have now. Either way what you have looks pretty authentic and I would just roll with it and that's saying something since I tend to be pretty anal myself about correct patterns. :mrgreen:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think you could have been months ago if you weren't always replying to us wanting to see pictures and videos.
Indeed so, but that part is fun too! Actually, it gave me something V related to do when I didn't have time to go work on it.

That distance delayed the project hugely. With something near home, you can toddle over and work on it for 30 minutes or an hour daily before or after work, then spend some serious time on your days off. But when it is a four hour round trip and you are on call with a maximum 45 minute response time....:roll:
I went months at time not being able to get anything done on the V itself. But that time was spent tracking down bits and pieces and getting all the little bits that make a vehicle complete. If I had finished this a year ago, there would have been empty spots where things should have been.
So, it all works out...

I am just glad it is almost done. My son is frothing at the mouth to get it!

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those 2qt. Canteens are 69 dated. I would not have used them otherwise.
Cool, then I can use them in mine!

The M706 pattern does exist, I clearly remember seeing it, but it's apparently not in my collection. Either way what you have looks pretty authentic and I would just roll with it and that's saying something since I tend to be pretty anal myself about correct patterns. :mrgreen:
Well, I will consider that a positive vindication of my choice! If you do find pictures in your ramblings through the net, I'd like to see them.

Meanwhile I will be happy with what I have, with two colours and a-hue-that-reflects-insufficient-light-to-technically-be-a-colour-but-since-we-don't-really-think-that-way-we-call-it-black-and-pretend-it-is. (Jim, does that work for ya?? :razz:)

Oh, and it came real close to being painted MERDC Summer-Verdant. I like that pattern also, and have seen several in-service V's painted that way.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Elwenil

In terms of art, black is indeed the absence of light. In terms of automotive paint, it's a pigment, therefore a color. :mrgreen:

I'll see what I can dig up and post later this evening.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That V reduces me to ..:drool:

I wanted the same standard 383 colours (using the term generically, Jim) because it looks soooo good, but a later style pattern. That should make your V and mine recognizably different.

Cheers

B3.3T

I disagree entirely, Rory. This has been a ten year project of a little detailing here and there until finally where you want it. Mine was overhauled at Lexington in 1975 hence the white interior. It was destined for Germany until the program was cut, hence the smoke dischargers. I like the NATO three-color, so I chose it. The hardest item I had to find was the shell bin, and its one JimK had repoed. Excellent work, too. After several years, I have cheated on the driver's seat with cushion from tractor supply (this was a major complaint in Vietnam), and as you already know, an Edellbrock carb and manifold. Lastly, a Mopar electronic ignition kit. Those three mods alone, 10x the ease and fun of just driving it around and having fun. Be patient and KEEP IT FUN. You will get there.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hardest item I had to find was the shell bin, and its one JimK had repoed. Excellent work, too.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm glad that in a roundabout way I could contribute a tiny bit to your V, as the bins Jim made were copied from the original that is in my V. :beer:

And sorry, I'm going to drool anyway... :)

Mr Rory all I can say is just WOW :)
[thumbzup]

Cheers

Last edited:

Elwenil

I disagree entirely, Rory. This has been a ten year project of a little detailing here and there until finally where you want it. Mine was overhauled at Lexington in 1975 hence the white interior. It was destined for Germany until the program was cut, hence the smoke dischargers. I like the NATO three-color, so I chose it. The hardest item I had to find was the shell bin, and its one JimK had repoed. Excellent work, too. After several years, I have cheated on the driver's seat with cushion from tractor supply (this was a major complaint in Vietnam), and as you already know, an Edellbrock carb and manifold. Lastly, a Mopar electronic ignition kit. Those three mods alone, 10x the ease and fun of just driving it around and having fun. Be patient and KEEP IT FUN. You will get there.

Hmmm, sounds a bit like the one on ArmyJeeps. **** lottery. :drool:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be patient and KEEP IT FUN. You will get there.
Thanks. I am indeed really enjoying the current work because it yields such visible results and everything is coming together.
There will still be things to do, details here and there, over time, but it will be ready to show soon.

I am pretty sure I will be taking the V to debut at the Temple airshow on the 6th/7th of next month. That is one of our club's bigger events and we provide a convoy to be ambushed/defended in a Vietnam scenario. The colour scheme won't be period correct on some of the vehicles (or the aeroplanes for that matter), but the crowd loves the show anyway, it has been very popular in years past. The re-enactment organizers have been itching to get my V involved, to help their M113 and Quonsethut's gun truck.

Cheers

Last edited:

Barrman

Rory,
Are we going to have to remove our boots and put on white gloves before we look inside at Temple? Just trying to plan ahead on the packing list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks