• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ military trail ride in the pines

Mike_Pop

Great photos! I've done some trail rides as well as Mark. I've been exploring the Pines since I started driving in 1984. Both of us know that area like it was our back yards. We did a trail ride in 2003 during a severe snow storm where the Pines got 23" of snow! Visibility was down to fifty feet. Bruce Kalin wrote a great article for the MTA and you can read it here (page 7): http://www.mtaofnj.org/newsletter/year_2003/nl_0403.pdf

The Pines are a great place to explore but the trails are pretty much flat. It does get boring after a while but if you know where to find the pits that are excavated, then you can have a lot of fun.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful Unimog, Mike! I really want a 1300! I just haven't gotten up the courage (and the funds) to spend what it takes to get one. I've heard they go for $25K and up.

Mike_Pop

Bruce,

$25K is a steal for a U1300L. They are going for $35K and up right now. Well worth the money spent though. Check out my photos of my Mog in the SS photo gallery.

Oh...BTW, the M1009 is running great. No problems crossing the country three times except that a U-joint wore out and my speedo gear is not working. Other than that, I love the truck.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Brent:
Thanks for posting the link to your pictures it gave me a whole new feeling to having my legs in water waiting for me to hook up to Nicks duece. Welcome to Steel Soldiers you will find this to be a great place to spend time on the web.

Mike_Pop

Are we still on for the 27th? This threads been pretty quiet.
Bob...I'm going. Maybe you can pick me up on the way down? I would much rather ride in a Unimog than my station wagon! I'm only five miles off of Route 206, just off of Route 130 in Florence, NJ. I'll buy you breakfast.

marksgarage2

Sorry guys. I fell last week and broke a couple teeth off on a door frame. My first oral surgery is this thurs. I am not sure how I will be feeling after that. Mike P knows the pines just as good if not better than me. He has lead these before and I am sure he would not mind. See ya next time. Mark

Mike_Pop

Mark,

We will miss you. Sounds like a painful thing to happen. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I'm up at the ex's place in Florence where you picked up my M1009.

For everyone else...let's keep the plan the same and meet at the diner on the 27th. We'll figure it out from there. If anyone has any questions, feel free to call my cell phone (PM me for the number).

Mike_Pop

So who is coming to the trail ride? So far, we have a few Unimogs and assorted mv's. We are meeting at the Red Lion Diner which is at the intersection of Route 206 and Route 70 in Red Lion. We'll meet at 9am and hit the trails at 11am. We'll most likely head for the water obstacles, Apple Pie Hill, the Carranza Memorial, and Hampton Furnace. If time permits, we may make it to Batsto Village.

Mike_Pop

Hey Everyone....we've had a few cancellations so please let me know who is coming.

If there are not enough people, I've got other things to do. We can reschedule when Mark is feeling better.

FormerNewMVGuy

Due to my wifes father, having health issues in south caralina, I will be leaving tonite at 6:00 pm to go to SC. and wont be back until monday nite at the soonest.
Maybe next time.

Mike_Pop

I haven't gotten a lot of responses from anyone if they are definitely doing the trail ride. Sooooo...looks like we will have to reschedule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks