• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NO LONGER Wrecked wrecker

dmetalmiki

concerned

first sorry to hear of the accident. and glad yoiu are personally ok. but I was concrened as to tiye pressures at the time. I run my truck at 55 psi. (T.M) and noted an article "
Blowouts

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">Improper inflation, whether over-inflation or under-inflation, causes tires to overheat and increases the risk of blowout. A blown-out tire ruptures and can cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle. This could lead to a serious, even fatal accident.

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Over-Inflating Vehicle Tires? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5784335_dangers-over_inflating-vehicle-tires_.html#ixzz13gj4vSsQ

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates on the wrecked wrecker repairs?

Glad you're ok and glad for old crusty NCOs like PB.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well a salute to ALL those who helped Ron get her home! Good job shipmates!:driver:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked Ron up after it happened and brought him back to the rally. It could have been WAAAAY worse. I totally understand why the seat came out of the truck with Ron.[thumbzup]

jatonka

Is the 819 wheel base longer than the 816? I think it is 36" longer than the wrecker, If so, consider the weight increase on the front wheels and tires. I would go with 11x24.5s in 16 ply rating, you will gain height and plys. JT out

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is the 819 wheel base longer than the 816? I think it is 36" longer than the wrecker, If so, consider the weight increase on the front wheels and tires. I would go with 11x24.5s in 16 ply rating, you will gain height and plys. JT out
I really cant go higher then the rears (44") because of the sprag, it will think the 819 is spinning the rears, I would like to put 12R22.5 G177s (43.7") 16 ply, H rated, or something similar if I can afford them, any other suggestions along that line

Last edited:

Andy1234

Most of the 915's that I have seen have 11R22.5's, and they are tubeless radials. There are a few w/ 11.00x20's, mostly tube type radials.

The 11.00x24's that are on the 916/920's are tube type, and can be either radials or bias ply.

Approx 1 month ago, Idaho Motor Pool (??? not sure, but it's one of the bigger surplus places in Idaho) had 11.00x24 take off's (no wheels) for $175/ea. He had Goodyear's and Cooper's.

Personally, I'd find a nice take off set of 11.00x24 radials and run them. Just because you can top out at 65 mph doesn't mean you have to go that fast....

Andy

Andy

Andy1234

Have you thought about singleing it out with say 395s or 1400's?
That was my next thought.

14.00's are 47" tall, and the sets that I have put on M818's drove nice.

They'll also be cheaper then anything else, and easier to get. Berg Tire (in AL or GA, don't remember exactly) has buildings full of them.

For wheels, either the HEMTT wheels or combat wheels.

James (M1075) in OK might be able to hook you up w/ some 395's on FMTV wheels...

Andy

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yeah singling out to super singles seems like the best solution... don't really see a reason to keep the NDTs in the rear.
1--I have 3 NEW unmounted, 10 almost NEW 1200 x 20s
2--The COSt, at a cheap $200 a tire x 8 =$1600 + rims, I can see a easy $2500 If not more like $3000
3--With duels, if I loose a rear tire, there still a tire to keep on going and EXTRA SPARES
4--I like the look of duels on a big truck that is made for them, just makes them LOOK that much more heavier

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think I figured out what happened, First off I had never heard of the MWO before DH told me at the rally, I have NO warning decal, ect. The 819 HAS the 105 tire psi data plate (you can see the old screw holes), as per the mwo, I have one of the old tires, it is 16 ply, H rated, the hub does not have the pin though. the tires I bought are 14 ply, G rated, not knowing that the front called for 16 ply H , I installed the 14 ply all the way around, lucky I didn't blow both fronts. The data plate calls for 105 psi on all tires for highway use. I just wonder what the weight is on the front axle, ACTUAL weight, NOT data plate weight. The tires I put on calls for 90 psi, thinking that since they were newer tires (04), that the 90 replaced the 105 because of a different brand or something. So all in all I think excessive HEAT build up caused the event

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll agree, tire heat (don't forget it was 80 degrees that day also).

The MWO does not use NDT tires.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It was early, i think just road heat, I didnt read in the mwo about NOT useing NDTs, mght have missed that

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks