• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK... I admit it... that first step in the M925A1 is a Bit%$ .. what have others done

91W350

I use a boarding ladder occasionally, it depends upon which end of the truck I was getting into, which end of the box you will find it. That tailgate step is a long ways up there for this old fat boy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quitter, haha, thats funny. Come by and watch this old man scale up onto the wrecker repeatedly slinging loads. I'm still jumping off the back deck. My back is what made me scale down my operation. Now Raul, sit down for this one, it's gonna make you think. Remove factory step, attach 2 linear actuators to truck and to step. Install a motion proximity sensor. Install a kill switch inside the cab of the truck. When you step up, the sensor sees you and lowers the step. Once you are on the step and out of the sensors eye, the step raises with you on it, step into the truck and disable power. Kinda like and MV elevator.

scootertrs

Nice, except with my level of tech ability, it would probably spit me out like a watermelon seed... I think I will set my sights on something a bit more accessible like a spring loaded retractable step. BTW, I have to admit that opening and closing the hood is one heck of a lot easier on this truck than it is on my deuce.

Quitter, haha, thats funny. Come by and watch this old man scale up onto the wrecker repeatedly slinging loads. I'm still jumping off the back deck. My back is what made me scale down my operation. Now Raul, sit down for this one, it's gonna make you think. Remove factory step, attach 2 linear actuators to truck and to step. Install a motion proximity sensor. Install a kill switch inside the cab of the truck. When you step up, the sensor sees you and lowers the step. Once you are on the step and out of the sensors eye, the step raises with you on it, step into the truck and disable power. Kinda like and MV elevator.

jdknech

what about a "cable step" i see them on the back of service trucks, they have 2 cables about a foot long, and 1" thick and a step on the end.. there flexable for off roading, but stiff enough that they don't swing away when you step on them.. i would post a pic, but in on the work computer :neutral:

scootertrs

I mentioned something like that... a couple of chains with a piece of pipe... I now remember having seen what you say. Looks good and you are right, it wont snag.

what about a "cable step" i see them on the back of service trucks, they have 2 cables about a foot long, and 1" thick and a step on the end.. there flexable for off roading, but stiff enough that they don't swing away when you step on them.. i would post a pic, but in on the work computer :neutral:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy and I have talked about this for my 813. I can get in and out but it would be nice for it to be easier. His idea was a step like the ones on the HEMTTs. Two pieces of metal that swing away with chain on the other side. That way if you are off-road and hit something it swings out of the way.

o space 8
| space 8
| space 8
| space 8
o-------8

o = hinged corner
8 = chain

Chain towards back of truck.

Last edited:

goldneagle

How about some heavy chain with a 1/2" bolt through it with a pipe over the bolt as a spacer then another heavy chain and then a nut. So you would see front to back: 1/2" hex bolt head, heavy chain link, 1/2" or 5/8" ID pipe, heavy chain link, 1/2" lock nut.

{}......... {}
{} .........{}
{}..........{}
[{}===={}]=

Last edited:

350TacoZilla

or just heavy chain that you weld a couple of the links together to make a stirrup. I dont like the swing away chain style steps (or cable) because they do make it easier to get in but sometimes getting out your foot can knock them out of the way if you dont land your foot on them perfectly square especially with mud on boots or something.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Gimpy and I have talked about this for my 813. I can get in and out but it would be nice for it to be easier. His idea was a step like the ones on the HEMTTs.
I may have a couple of those up in the big van.......or I may have sold them at the GA Rally......I'll look and see.....If I have them I'll cut you a good deal.

scootertrs

I am interested (unless I am busting up a deal for someone else.... in that case, a good pic will suffice) I have to do something though... right now I just popped 2 Aleve b/c my right hip says I'm too old to be flexing that way... and of course I told it to "man-up"...

I may have a couple of those up in the big van.......or I may have sold them at the GA Rally......I'll look and see.....If I have them I'll cut you a good deal.

scootertrs

Off topic though... Scooteerr, do you own one of these beasts? I almost jumped into the recent fray, but other responsibilities like... eating, mortgage, etc. got in the way. Almost did, but will always wonder... what would have happened if!!! If you own it, what is it like? I would like to talk to you about it , maybe call you. pm with a number and I will do the same. I just think that these vehicles are almost the pinnacle of the hobby... (almost as cool as a bullet proof hummer with a/c-amd of course, not going into the armored personnel carriers or the tanks)-Had one (armored per. carrier pass me on the road in So. Fla.-seems the Broward SO has one for swat... Wow...

Here is a pic of the Hemtt step...

Last edited:

goldneagle

OK I think I came up with a nice design for a extra step to climb into the M939 cabs. It has to be the same length or shorter than the the existing step on the driver's side. Here is the design I came up with: The step shape is an L with triangles on the sides to help support the shelf (step). At the top of the L there will be a heavy duty piano hinge the length of the step. The hinge gets bolted or welded to the top edge of the existing step. There will be a rope or small chain that will allow for lifting the step into the stored position once you sit in the cab. I would have to actually fabricate it before I can get all the details figured out. I usually design as I go.

scootertrs

have to draw it out... I will do so tomorrow... I caNNOT SEE IT

OK I think I came up with a nice design for a extra step to climb into the M939 cabs. It has to be the same length or shorter than the the existing step on the driver's side. Here is the design I came up with: The step shape is an L with triangles on the sides to help support the shelf (step). At the top of the L there will be a heavy duty piano hinge the length of the step. The hinge gets bolted or welded to the top edge of the existing step. There will be a rope or small chain that will allow for lifting the step into the stored position once you sit in the cab. I would have to actually fabricate it before I can get all the details figured out. I usually design as I go.

HASSON1911

I know I'm just a "young buck" but I love getting into trucks that need a little jump to get into, with that being said I can't say I don't like the look of the HEMTT step on the 939 trucks

scootertrs

How available are the HEMTT Steps? looks like an elegant, yet simple bolt in solution-I don't know how many of those are being parted out, it may be readily available for testing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks