• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK... I admit it... that first step in the M925A1 is a Bit%$ .. what have others done

goldneagle

How available are the HEMTT Steps? looks like an elegant, yet simple bolt in solution-I don't know how many of those are being parted out, it may be readily available for testing.
If they are rigid, they may be an issue off-road. If they catch on anything they will tear, or even possibly damage the fuel tank.

scootertrs

I agree, but I don't think they are, not the way they hang down on a HeMtt - I have never seen them up close, so I don't know. I have seen many pictures of Hemtts and never noticed a bent step, and I am sure if it had been like that I would have. Maybe a member that has experience with them can clarify that? I did look at the picture on the hemtt and thought that with their step size and proximity to the tire, they could shred that tire if it bent backwards, except the tire is rotating forward most of the time, thus it would just push it away...

If they are rigid, they may be an issue off-road. If they catch on anything they will tear, or even possibly damage the fuel tank.

gunboy1656

Another thought to look into is a folding aluminum boat ladder, the ones used to get people out of the water. My cabin cruiser has one step that would fold down, and you just flip it up when done. Not very expensive.

goldneagle

I agree, but I don't think they are, not the way they hang down on a HeMtt - I have never seen them up close, so I don't know. I have seen many pictures of Hemtts and never noticed a bent step, and I am sure if it had been like that I would have. Maybe a member that has experience with them can clarify that? I did look at the picture on the hemtt and thought that with their step size and proximity to the tire, they could shred that tire if it bent backwards, except the tire is rotating forward most of the time, thus it would just push it away...
The difference is the location. It would be about half way between the front and middle axle. If the front went down the middle point would catch first.

scootertrs

I plead ignorance... I honestly am not familiar enough with HeMtts (not blessed I guess) to know. I do know that this issue is obviously more of a problem for a lot of members than it first seemed. I am confident that a solution will come from it... As it is, my right hip is giving me heck. Thanks for the help.

The difference is the location. It would be about half way between the front and middle axle. If the front went down the middle point would catch first.

I got a fold down step used to get up on the rear deck of a semi and looking forward to getting it in place up front between the grill and front bumper. Fortunately the work is mostly done with the front winch putting the bumper out there. Getting in and out of my M818 is hard but compared to climbing up on top and getting the hood raised and latched just to add oil, well, you won't see me doing it for less than 3 quarts and closer to a gallon. Mention of linear actuators has my gears whirring about raising that hood. Man those 900 series trucks have some improvements in some areas!

scootertrs

OK... I have seen the light/// Saw first hand how the MK48 step works... It is a contraption that actually has a hinge on the leading edge (front) and a chain on the rear edge/ if someting were to snag or hit it on the bottom, it would fold back as it pivots behind the main step. once you are over the obstruction, it would swing down (gravity assisted) to its normal resting place parallel to the ground. I will be fabricating 2 such gizmos and will report to group fortwith/ Have to thank bbf and the colonel for the access to the mk48

Last edited:

scootertrs

"...OK... I have seen the light/// Saw first hand how the MK48 step works..."

Great! Just don't back up.

Steve
Lets put it this way... I am still limping from my first encounter with my M925A1... I suppose the MK48 have the same problem if they back up... either way, I will either fix it so I can get on and off without issue or sell or scrap it... I don't have toys I cannot use...

scootertrs

BTW, I can see if the swivel works both ways, with another swivel down at the actual step... I can see the entire problem of snagging avoided

Lets put it this way... I am still limping from my first encounter with my M925A1... I suppose the MK48 have the same problem if they back up... either way, I will either fix it so I can get on and off without issue or sell or scrap it... I don't have toys I cannot use...

nlauffer

If you try to use the MK48 steps, they will be too low. You have to use the lower step portion and the hinge without the upper step. I ended up going with steel cable steps for the 4 923s I just got for the fire department.

I also ordered a slide away ladder step, but this was for getting on to the bed.

scootertrs

You are right. I also noticed that the rear tire is not the problem... the problem would be the fuel tank... wow. I would like to see the pic of the steps you got and where you got them. I thought of fabricating some chain or cable steps, but if they are already manufactured (and not crazy money) I would consider them. (You did say that you got them for the Fire Dept... if the department is anything like ours here in Miami, Dade, I pretty much know that I cannot afford them, but what the heck, I would like to know anyway)

Thank you for the assist... I am still nursing my first 20 or so climbs into the cab of the 925.

Be safe

If you try to use the MK48 steps, they will be too low. You have to use the lower step portion and the hinge without the upper step. I ended up going with steel cable steps for the 4 923s I just got for the fire department.

I also ordered a slide away ladder step, but this was for getting on to the bed.

erixun

I second the vote for a spring loaded step that can easily be removed by two pins when offroading, and will be about a 11" lower first step- and they are about $110. Here is a link to one type at summit racing- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mre-jkst07/overview/

and some pics of what they look like: MRE-JKST07.jpgMRE-JKST07_OH.jpgMRE-JKST07_SN.jpg or a another type that is just a little more$$: BST-75300-15.jpg http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bst-75300-15/overview/ I do like the chain/cable look- it looks more 'stock', but I hate how some of them swing away from you when you put weight on them.

Last edited:

joesco

Man you SS members are the best, most resourceful bunch folks that I have ever run across in my 57 years on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many thanks!

350TacoZilla

erixun-- those are the exact type I was thinking of in my one post, very simple design to adapt and dont hang down all the time but also have a solid feel when you step on it.

I actually drew up a quick version in paint it, please no picking on my drawing skills lol. I think this step could be made by just about anyone with access to welder and should cost less than $50 in materials to outfit both sides.

396089_10200484861148153_1182261045_n - Copy - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

scootertrs

I tried to see how low they hang when "retracted" and could not see the info. Looks like it may be 4-5 inches... starting with the amount of ground clearance on the M925, I don't see how this could be a problem.

I second the vote for a spring loaded step that can easily be removed by two pins when offroading, and will be about a 11" lower first step- and they are about $110. Here is a link to one type at summit racing- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mre-jkst07/overview/

and some pics of what they look like: View attachment 408969View attachment 408970View attachment 408971 or a another type that is just a little more$$: View attachment 408974 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bst-75300-15/overview/ I do like the chain/cable look- it looks more 'stock', but I hate how some of them swing away from you when you put weight on them.

scootertrs

I like it. One concern would be that in the raised position it will have to stick out from the step... (maybe an inch or 2) depending on how low you want it to drop so you could lower it with your foot while climbing down and not have it creep under the step as it swings down... a small issue... would you do the same for both sides? and how much would you plan to have it drop? I did some testing on mine (with 1400 singles) and it would have to lower at least 9-10 inches or so.

erixun-- those are the exact type I was thinking of in my one post, very simple design to adapt and dont hang down all the time but also have a solid feel when you step on it.

I actually drew up a quick version in paint it, please no picking on my drawing skills lol. I think this step could be made by just about anyone with access to welder and should cost less than $50 in materials to outfit both sides.

View attachment 409032

350TacoZilla

I was thinking it would stick out or maybe even start with a small gap between the top of it and the bottom of stock step (would still only hang down 3" or so if it had a 2" gap) and then have something like a 10" travel giving you a 12" drop total which would almost half the distance required for the step up, nice part is you could play with different length cables pretty easy to get it to a height you like or even make it a 2 stage step with very little extra work (first step folds down then other folds down from 1st)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks