• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We removed the pressure plate, clutch plate, and flywheel. Thankfully the flywheel is is good shape. It needs to be cut, but there are no cracks or broken teeth. It quickly became apparent to us that this is the factory clutch, and has not seen the light of day since late 1960!

It took Doc a while to scrub the crap off of the flywheel, bell housing, and the back of the engine.
The bell housing is shot. We didn’t see a sleeve bearing. The hole is oval shaped. The rod is worn down. I suspect that the factory didn’t install a sleeve bearing, which led to the problems. UGH!!!
auaauaauaauaaua
I called Daryl and asked him if he had a replacement bell housing. He will start hunting for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plenty of meat left on that clutch disc! Not! Ha ha, really looking good Mark. Can't wait to see it!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clutch disk thickness comparison:
IMG_4913.jpg

New oil line on the back of the engine:
IMG_4914.jpg
:)

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work Sir! Thanks for the updates. Can’t wait to see the finished product and hear how much your wife likes her lil’ mite!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She asked if she'll have the Mite for Memorial Day. I was afraid to answer her at first, fearing Murphy would rear his ugly head and create EVEN MORE problems. :roll: I skirted the question. The more time I can spend wrenching on it, the sooner we will bring her home.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc took the flywheel to a shop to have it resurfaced. IMG_4927.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc installed the bell housing and throwout bearing. He cleaned up the differential and surrounding areas.

DSCN2579.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Doc last night. Here's the latest to-do list:
- Install the brake drums, bleed the brakes, and figure out why the pedal is so low to the floor. The master cylinder has been rebuilt twice. Ugh. aua
- Rebuild the carburetor. Again. For the 6th or 7th time. I've lost track. It's still causing Doc problems. He took it off, installed it on his Mite, drove it, and experienced the same problems as he did on my wife's Mite. auaaua My thought is that the jets are shot. He will give it one last effort, and if it is still causing problems he'll break the seal on the NOS carburetor box and install it. I've hoped that the carb could be resurrected, but I understand that there's only so much you can do with a 58 year old hunk of pot metal.
- Install the engine.
- Drive it and confirm proper functionality of all systems.

Murphy - Please do us a favor. GO AWAY!!! My beloved wife wants her Mite done!!!! She's been more than patient; she's waited over a decade to drive her. Can you please back off a bit so we can bring a smile to her face? Lord knows she deserves it!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc sent me an update on June 29. He installed the engine by himself.

Yes, it can be done. A clutch can be changed by removing the engine only, from the vehicle. The exhaust pipes can stay intact but the starter, generator, generator bracket, and all front motor mount brackets must be removed. Be sure to remove oil pan drain plug and temperature sensor and bracket so they won't be damaged.
IMG_5555.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday Doc installed the front clip, connected the wiring harness, started it up, tweaked the carburetor, and tested the clutch. There’s a lot of meat on the new clutch. You have to press the pedal to the floor for it to release. IMG_5554.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc got the Mite running perfectly. He logged 20 miles since installing the engine and adjusting the clutch.

He has gone through every other possible component on the vehicle except the rear axles and bearings. He put it on jack stands and pulled the hubs apart.

He could not remove the lube plugs on the hub. Both were frozen so he had to drill and use an easy-out and retap. Thankfully he was successful.
IMG_5603.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc had to remove the seals to check the bearings. This proved quite difficult. He won this round with a slide hammer. IMG_5604.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hub had a rumble to it when turned without the drive shaft connected. The bearings had some scarring although you can't see it in the photo, but the races are shadow scarred.

IMG_5605.jpg

Doc will install 4 new bearings, 4 new races, fresh grease, and new seals.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the parts for the hub. Missed the flat washer under the nut.

The hub cleaned and ready for reassembly.

Hub with bearings and seals installed.

IMG_5635.jpgIMG_5636.jpgIMG_5637.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All parts installed.

Yoke tightened up.

Axle installed.

IMG_5638.jpgIMG_5639.jpgIMG_5640.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I submitted FLHSMV Form 83045 to Tallahassee for a permanent license plate. I want a permanent plate for the Mite.
https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83045.pdf

I checked the box for a Historic Military Vehicle plate (regardless of the vehicle’s age). This is under section 3, fourth check box from the top. I sent a check for $46.50

The plate has the following lettering:
FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE
RESTRICTED USE ONLY
Signalcorps owns this Chenowth Fast Attack Vehicle with the license plate. http://www.fastattackvehicle.com/myfav.html
IMG_5650.JPG

I received an email from a clerk requesting clarification on which plate I wanted. I assumed that her office issues the MV plate. I was wrong! She consulted with her supervisor and gave me the news, outlined below.

Lessons Learned:
DO NOT check the box for Historic Military Vehicle plate (regardless of the vehicle’s age) and send the form to Tallahassee. Their office cannot issue the MV plate.
Your regional tag office has to inspect the vehicle, and can issue the FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE plate. I’m assuming they use form 83045 as well.
This information is not indicated on the instructions.

I had the option to cancel my order, have my check returned, and proceed to a regional tag office for a MV plate. This poses logistical nightmares for my situation, so I chose not to take that path.

I was able to modify my request verbally for a permanent antique plate (blue with white letters). The cost is the same for both plates. The clerk processed my order and dropped the plate into outgoing mail this morning. I will receive the plate in a few days!!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the blue and white Permanent Antique plate for all of my MV's. I don't really care which plate I have as long as it's a permanent plate. They all ride in the glove compartment anyway so you never see them.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received the license plate in record time!! :) I'm one step closer to bringing the Mite home in time for the Orlando Veterans Parade!!! :clinto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks