• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

jrlatt

Thanks for the thread. I have only read the first and last page so far. I have started restoring one. It ran when it went into storage some 25 + years ago and been stored inside. I may have a few questions if you don't mind.

Roger

jrlatt

On your steering wheel. I don't think it is useless. You could make a wall decoration out of it. I think a machine shop could fix it. The cost of fixing it would probably be about the same or more than the replacement.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the thread. I have only read the first and last page so far. I have started restoring one. It ran when it went into storage some 25 + years ago and been stored inside. I may have a few questions if you don't mind.

Roger
I will do my best to assist you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally made it to Doc’s house. We’re putting the finishing touches on the Mite. My wife wanted the antenna bracket and radio mount removed.

I attached a bunch of engine pictures also. It’s so clean now, and runs like a Singer sewing machine!

IMG_5758.jpgIMG_5759.jpgIMG_5760.jpgIMG_5765.jpgIMG_5766.jpgIMG_5767.jpgIMG_5768.jpgIMG_5769.jpgIMG_5770.jpgIMG_5771.jpgIMG_5772.jpgIMG_5773.jpgIMG_5774.jpgIMG_5775.jpgIMG_5776.jpgIMG_5777.jpgIMG_5778.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will install a NOS muffler tomorrow. I placed a 3/4" wrench next to the muffler to give you a size reference.

IMG_5761.jpgIMG_5762.jpgIMG_5763.jpgIMG_5764.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We installed the new muffler. I took reference pictures of the old one. IMG_5782.jpgIMG_5783.jpgIMG_5784.jpgIMG_5785.jpgIMG_5786.jpgIMG_5787.jpgIMG_5788.jpg

The old muffler was rotted inside. I’m glad I spent the $100 for the new one.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay close attention to the brake lines. Doc did a masterful job of bending and routing them.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc used Krylon to touch up the paint. It’s not an exact match but it’s close enough. IMG_5790.jpgIMG_5789.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We finished the driver and passenger safety straps. I bought the stainless steel carabiners from a local amateur radio convention. I got the straps and buckles from work. I dove into the dumpster to salvage them! I drilled out a rivet and Doc painted the buckles. The buckles have sharp teeth that dig into the straps. They are directional. They only allow the strap to be pulled towards the rear.

I got the lifting eyes from Fastenal. They are coarse thread. The threads on the bolts that secure the windshield are fine thread. I learned that there’s no such thing as a lifting eye with fine thread. I used a threaded rod, nuts, and lock washers purchased from Ace Hardware to secure the eyes to the windshield.

IMG_5796.jpgIMG_5797.jpgIMG_5793.jpgIMG_5799.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We decided not to install the fire extinguisher bracket. It’s a big project, though it seems small. The Orlando Veterans Parade is in the very near future, and Jeannie will be in it come heck or high water.

Doc pulled my 22 foot double axle steel bed trailer from his back yard. We loaded up the Mite, strapped it down, and tested the electrical wiring.

Then the ‘fun’ began ...........

Murphy’s Law. Full force. We discovered intermittent problems with the functionality of the lights. I won’t bore you with the details. It was a ridiculous mess. The wiring is so bad that it needs to be replaced entirely. Frustrating, stress inducing, miserable crappy hellish torture. I wanted to leave his house at 4 pm EST. We ended up leaving at 8 pm. Doc had to hook up temporary lights to the back of the trailer and gut the 7 pin trailer plug. His solution saved the day again. We got home much later than we wanted to, but we made it.

IMG_5791.jpgIMG_5792.jpgIMG_5794.jpgIMG_5795.jpgIMG_5800.jpgIMG_5801.jpgIMG_5802.jpgIMG_5803.jpgIMG_5804.jpgIMG_5805.jpgIMG_5806.jpgIMG_5807.jpgIMG_5808.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bulk of the mechanical restoration is done. Jeannie is home safe and sound. My wife is thrilled :clinto::-D:driver:. For the first time in nearly 14 years she can drive her Mighty Mite!!! Hopefully she’ll let me drive her occasionally.

To Do List:
- fix the vacuum operated windshield wipers
- fabricate a fire extinguisher mount
- put black heat shrink tubing on the stainless steel carabiners so they don’t damage the paint

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc sacrificed so much for her. Hundreds of hours. Countless trips to local hardware and auto parts stores. Blood, sweat, tears. Saturday he showed me his trail of quarter sized bloodstains on the garage floor. Doc poured his heart and soul into her restoration. I’m deeply grateful for all his hard work. He is the only person I know - probably one of the only people in the world - that has the talent, skills, and abilities to complete the monumental task of restoring a M422.

Doc - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been A LONG time since I updated this thread. Numerous life events consumed my focus and energy and pulled me away from Steel Soldiers. There's no sense in recalling and recounting all the crapola, but I'm thankful that I survived it. Moving right along....

I'll try to catch y'all up on what has transpired with Jeannie since I brought her home.

We participated in the Orlando Veterans Parade. She ran flawlessly on the run to the parade, in the parade, and on the way home. We honored the USMC on their birthday. Jeannie was the lead vehicle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks