• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read of there fielding , but only in the USMC goats I did get one of mine that had a FAR radar, ground to air missile launcher on it in the last life, still have the brackets on the carrier and the placards , but the unit was pulled off for separate sale before I bought it. would like a sweet mountain pack 75 or a 105 /155 too tow behind my 109 . suspect its not in the cards unless I build it , have been looking for an honest John nose cone to do a missile and carrier to tow. hard part to find is the cone, rest is quick and easy
You have a goat with the brackets for the radar set up? Mine has the same set up!! BAE Systems (or one of its predecessors) was putting them together in the 1980s for the Army. I bought one and a friend got the other. I didn't know there was any other units out there with the set up. Love to see some pics.

m38inmaine

Long awaited antenna mount arrived today, hardware bag attached had a large hole in the side of it but only 1 nut was missing. Will get the antenna base installed this weekend I hope.

Attachments

Jericho

Having a big spring ( really doesn't come here till JUNE) snow storm , will post some picks after the SNAFU . Mark M 38 in Maine, think you going to get more then me brother, Be safe

Jericho

BAE , British Aerospace, Hawker, list of names goes on and one , their naval division HQ is just 80 miles away , Worked some of their CRAP , may be a little bias, love my British WIFE, don't like British Jet Engines , GE all the WAY !

m38inmaine

I am looking for installation instructions that came with optional kits for the goat to go into my book. I have the soft door kit instructions and updated engine wiring harness sheet, looking for winch, hard top etc.

Thanks

wsucougarx

I also have the cab seatbelt MWO instructions somewhere. If I recall correctly, the install instructions are on large 3'x2' instruction sheets. You just want a digital image? I can use my iPad to take a pic and make a PDF out of it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jericho

Had the winch intructions some where and the soft top , will have to look after YOUR snow melts , ( lucked out last night only got rain, you got snow lol)

m38inmaine

I printed them and the clarity is only fair, if you could find a way to scan them I think it would be better. Speaking of winches, Adelman's Truck Parts Ohio has new in the crate winch bodies for $250, no cable.

Last edited:

combat32

I thought about a winch, but had one on my deuce and never used it. Had one a couple of m37's i have owned, never used them.

I suspect if i went to all the trouble and expense to put one on the goat i would never use it, plus i really don't want to put a hole in the front of my goat.

m38inmaine

Finally got the logistics figured out and have a set of tires on the way from UT, will post about those when they arrive. Continuing on with the radio install, something seemingly so simple but taking forever. I got the corner antenna mount install finished and looking over the instruction sheet decided to go the extra mile and install the early MX-2799 matching unit. I had a couple on the shelf, to include the special bottom mast section, thought I had it licked. Went to install it on the corner mount and discovered none of the holes lined up. Looking closer at the instruction sheet I see a "channel" was needed between the matching unit and mount, what are the chances of finding that ?. No hits using the part number so I crossed it to the NSN and found a couple new ones and they arrived today. Luckily they came with the hardware, this project has been extremely hardware intense. I am still short 14 of the 1/4'' int/ext star washers to finish the matching unit install on the channel. I like the looks of the early matching unit, it goes perfectly with the blocky shape of the truck.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! Glad you were able to find everything you needed. Every time I think I miss mine I go drive the M1078 and just think about climbing in/out, shifting, and steering the Goat. I'm generally smiling about then :)

m38inmaine

Just got a call, the tires were dropped off at the Fastenal this afternoon in UT. I looked for those TN tires, found this, HARRISON MOBILE TIRE SERVICE in Jackson, TN at 731-423-8210, ask for Ricky.. Also tracked down a guy in Maine who was suppose to have some but he had none. I never called the TN number but it might be worth a try. Happy to hear your new truck is working out for you Mark, I am going to keep going on this for a while, certainly keeps me busy.

m38inmaine

Made the 200 mile round trip today to pick up the goat tires at the Fastenal store that arrived from Utah last Friday. Very pleased, 90%+ tread and no rot and no re treads. A good clean and paint of the wheels and they will be ready to go on just in time for Memorial Day activities.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks