• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

This will be the official restoration thread of the newly acquired M561 I posted about in an earlier thread. I was going to get it on the way to the Weare, NH rally but I just could not wait. I headed out Thursday at midnight and arrived in NY at 07:30 Friday Morning. Took about 6 hours of messing around, extracting parts from multiple hidey holes and loading. Got a few bonus items such as a hard top and NOS tailgate which were un expected but much appreciated. Arrived home just after midnight Friday/Saturday morning.

As you can see the trailer is loaded to the max, I don't think I could have fit much more, both carriers and the pickup bed are full of parts. It's going to take a couple days of sorting through things to see what I have for extras to trade. I do have some extra cab top bows, not sure if they are all complete, a really nice set of folding troop seats and an extra rear steer box cover for Tom.

My priority parts list will be a front steering box and front fenders. I got a nice set of rear fenders and splash guards but no front fenders. The window glass was all smashed out so a new windshield assy. may be in order. My next challenge is to get it all unloaded, headed out now.

Oh, and you are probably wondering why is the back half of a tractor is hacked off and attached to a carrier with a steering wheel. That was a farmer who had an idea to use it to harvest apples out of his orchard. He never finished it and I'm not sure how he planned to power it or get the steering linkage to work. However, it is a nice carrier and provides an extra rear tractor diff and two extra tires.

Keep a look out for part numbers, socket sizes etc. as I progress along. I will do my best to list all the cross over part numbers I can find. Perhaps at the end we can come up with a collective list of part numbers.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

If all you goat owners felt a disturbance in the force yesterday it was my fault. The carrier on the end of the trailer would not roll, the wheels would rotate a few inches then lock up. I unhooked the drive shaft and still locked, the differential was locked and either while under power or dragged the result was the axle shafts snapped a u joint on each side. The steering was also locked solid and the wheels of course were not straight. So I had no choice but to get the torch out and cut off the axle shafts and both steering tie rod tubes. I don't have a tractor to unload with so I had to have them all roll off. That carrier will be used for parts. The other units rolled off fine. I was able to use a bar and manually rotate the steering coupler on the other carrier, it actually turned quite easy, what a relief.
I did manage to get some work done, removed what was left of the fenders on the RH side and removed all the bolts holding the cowl on. Started to disconnect all the wiring on the dash and removing switches etc. Pictures of the removed parts and Tom's deck cover, that carrier is supplying parts already.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Had a little time after work today to get some work done on the goat. Managed to get the cowl off, had to cut it in several pieces and carefully remove the wiring. Looks naked but much better. Next I will remove the seats and clean the cab.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

I am totally taken aback by your enthusiasm to do this project. Well done you! I shall be following your progress at all stages of the project. Awesome.

combat32

Had a little time after work today to get some work done on the goat. Managed to get the cowl off, had to cut it in several pieces and carefully remove the wiring. Looks naked but much better. Next I will remove the seats and clean the cab.

Are those wiper motors still good to go? Tin snips look like they came in handy.

m38inmaine

I'm going to check the motors today, they came in handy but the reason I pictured them was I snapped off one side of the jaw cutting the cowl, grip of steel!

m38inmaine

Today I tried getting the pintle off the parts carrier, that castle nut is stuck pretty well. Tried the hot foot but I was by myself so I could not keep the heat on it and turn the pintle at the same time. Cleaned the debris out of the good carrier and removed the master cylinder and peddle assy. out of the new cowl. But a nice before/after shot of the instrument panel. I refurbished the gages, used flitz metal polish on the glass and blasted/painted the bezels, and replaced one bad bulb.

Attachments

combat32

Mark the DVR side fender has a pretty good Whang in it, passenger side too but not as bad, sent these pics to your phone but was not sure if you got them.But they still look better than what you got, thats good work on the instrument cluster, wish you were closer I would put you to work!:mrgreen:

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I purchased a used M151 instrument cluster to source the replacement parts. I knew I would need a cluster so I refurbed this one over the winter. Tom, I actually have two very nice front fender sections, I can always have them tig welded on if these are too bad. I have the horn guard but am missing the front light brackets.

While searching for parts I found some cross over parts.

Brake light switch= M151/A1 Jeep
Speedo cable=M35A2 Tach cable
Steering wheel=5 Ton wheel M35A3 MODEL 2.5 TON TRUCKS, AND THE M54, M809, AND M939 SERIES 5 TON

Last edited:

BillIdaho

Wait a minute..............................5 ton steering wheels are the same as a Goat steering wheel? Which 5 ton? I would imagine the M54 series, as that would be about the same time frame.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've gotten a new wind to jump back in on my project now.Thanks!!
There appear to be 5 of us actively working on Goats at the moment. For a vehicle that they didn't make that many of and that weren't usually available I'd say that's kind of astounding.

Dirtdobber make sure to update your thread to include any parts you're looking for.

dirtdobber

There appear to be 5 of us actively working on Goats at the moment. For a vehicle that they didn't make that many of and that weren't usually available I'd say that's kind of astounding.QUOTE]I agree with that. And for the four others on this site I thank you for your knowledge as it cannot be found anywhere else.

turnkey

So which one of you guys is goat of the mountain????? Just wondering...great build so far....So when they are done, are you guys going to have a goat poker run???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks