• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

Finished sanding the two front fenders, inner fenders and engine cover. Hit all the bare spots with zinc chromate primer. Got the first coat of forest green on the engine cover. Another long day of sanding and painting tomorrow as it may rain Saturday.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Thanks guys, I spent a lot of time sanding those fins, what a pain. A few are bent but there is just so much you can do, they are pretty fragile.

m38inmaine

More sanding and painting today, bottom and top of front fenders 1st coat of green and primed the carrier front rack. That rack was time consuming for sure, a lot of surface area.

Attachments

Jericho

You will be fine. In the same boat, M109 paint touch up not any where near done and refresh on Goat paint is stalled for now at one fender, You have done well, will be nice to see it as it comes from the grave reguardless

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
Do you have more pictures of your tailgate?
Both of mine have a sheet of plywood screwed to the inside. Yours looks a lot different. Maybe an original production. Do you have an early VIN / Serial# on that goat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

Tony, it was a NOS tailgate however the box got wet and it rusted pretty well in the recessed area. It did originally have a sheet of plywood and a sheet of steel over that sandwiched to the back of the gate. It also had a piece of angle iron across the top of the outside of the gate. I believe these were attempts to make it stronger as the originals did not have these features. It may be hard to see but mine has a lot of pitting, I plan to buy a new one but don't have the funds to spend on it right now. My carrier came from a different tractor so I don't know when it was made, the tractor is a M792 REG 03C93770 MFG 1971.

Pictures are of an original tailgate, no upgrades and it's lighter weight.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks