• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

combat32

Thanks, your part is packaged in a flat rate medium box and will go out tomorrow. Another item I forgot to install was the engine cover torque rod, installed that after work today.
My steel hood had two torque rods, one on each side, since I switched to the aluminum hood only need one now.

Truck sure looks good, workin too many hours right now to get much done here.

m38inmaine

Thanks Tom, it wasn't as bad as I thought to get it installed and it made a world of difference as I can open and close it by myself easily. I had to take off 2 weeks of work to get it done enough to take to the rally. Just not enough time in the day to get it done. When you get a chance post up a few pictures of your rig in progress, sure would like to see some current pictures.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow 2 Goats in the MV of the Month competition. Wish I still had mine then all 3 of us could watch a M923 or CUCV win.

m38inmaine

Received the correct screws from Fastenal so I started installing the front fender splash guards. The screw is a 1/4"-14 tapping pan head with a type "B" point.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Transfer case oil pumps 101

There are two types of oil pumps, a ball check valve type and a shuttle check valve type. I have no information to know when each type was made but I have only ever seen the ball type shown in the TM's. I have 3 pumps, 2 are the shuttle type.

I hand primed mine until my hand went numb and could never get it to prime, it was the shuttle type. I used a suction pump from a brake bleeder kit to pull oil from the transfer through the output of the pump, even then hand action showed little results. I don't understand how hand priming is better or necessary rather than letting the transfer pump it, someone will have to explain it to me. The best way I found was to inject some lucas oil right into the outlet pipe of the pump, re connect the clear tube, put transfer in neutral, select 4th gear and let it pump. Observing the flow of oil in the clear tube it's obvious that it takes a lot of pumping action to get that oil flowing, it actually pulses not a steady flow.

A discussion with another member provided a lot of this information on the pump types and what seemed to work best. Given his own experience and what I discovered it appears the ball type of pump works the best. It is sound advice to make sure you have clean oil in the transfer and be sure to add up to 50% Lucas oil stabilizer to ensure pump reliability.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Any one have a line on the copper hull plug gaskets?, only place I found wanted $5.44 each and you have to buy 10. If not perhaps a group buy would be in order. They are 4.25 OD and 4.0 ID copper crush washer/gasket.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks