• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

So thanks to UPS losing parts from one of my previous winch parts shipment I was missing the winch side of the pto shaft. I purchased a used one from Arts Parts in MN, the u-joint seals were in tough shape so I took it apart, cleaned and painted it and started looking for a new u-joint. The NSN gave no clues except it looked like a special u-joint, here we go I thought. Dug out the caliper and headed to NAPA, the girl at the counter did not even measure it said I'll be right back, well the caps were too small so she took it back and returned with the exact match ! It goes to show you how valuable a counter person can be when they know what they are doing. Turns out to be a common 861 u-joint. More parts due tomorrow. This turns out to be the same u-joint for the steering shafts.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Winch and lower brackets arrived as well as the mounting tray, chain and other brackets. The winch was dated in the early 70's and had a FSN on the data plate, amazing what still lingers new in old warehouses. In the process of blasting and painting the used brackets.

Attachments

Jericho

Hard parts unlike consumables like tires and o rings don’t have expiration dates. They are stored world wide. They are sub assemblies. Major assemblies ect Disposition just never catches up. I have ordered and recievied Parts in the nineties for F4. Phantom j 79 jet engine parts that were made in the 1960 s and were in the original boxes. Inspector or packager / maker even long Dead. You could have ordered it a hundred times before and got 0 balance in supply and that day. It hit just right and shipped. Navy used to be the worst. There pre positioned ship board supples , especially Diego Garcia. Weren’t computer inventoried in the 70 s early eighties. So Parts sat in bowls of a huge Ship for YEARS then when it came back for reset or to be scrapped they dumped it all back in supply . It was like a lost gold mine had been found I fully expect anouther glut of goat parts at some point. May not be canvas but common hard parts and TCTO kits if I live that long

m38inmaine

Got the first top coat of paint on the mounting tray, finished sand blasting the front bracket and got it primed. Also finished making the remaining 5 shear pins. Still need to finish blasting the second side bracket and the chain/hook. My air compressor is on it's last leg and progress is slow.

Attachments

Jericho

Caught in the Honey DO, spiral , haven't touch my Hubby wanna DO projects in a month , Latest is a large out door kitchen and grill shack and bistro seating for three seasons use ( now she ordered a heater and asked how hard it would be to insulate , Huge griddle three different types of bar be que grills lol gas, charcoal and a gas/ charcoal , wood fired pizza oven, gas pizza oven , summer sink, counters waiting for the upper cabinet and big screen TV work change order. Oh for got smoker . I am the one feeling smoked ! BUT GOT A M-931A2 in the action, using the air to run the nail gun and a M1061 A as a flat work surface !

Attachments

m38inmaine

Looks good, I'll wait to come over when it's finished :mrgreen:. A little more progress today, blasted and primed the second side bracket, compressor crapped but I'm done with it for now. Made up a winch support kit using a hard bottom GI tool kit bag, snatch block just fits along with some spare shear pins.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Finished bolting the winch on today, thought I would never get it done having to try and track down all of the pieces. The hull seal for the winch input shaft was a real treat, not much room to move around down there. Still on the list is to finish blasting and painting the chain/hook assembly, blasting those chain links is tedious work. I ordered the clevis for the cable and that should be in next week. Last will be cutting the slot in the center console for the pto lever.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Here is the new clevis for the winch cable, was able to track down the manufacturer, could not locate one surplus. They are made by Electroline, part number GD-143-N and the plug for the inside is MB-743. The original one I had was quite rusty and I snapped the nut off the cross bolt trying to take it apart, since this is a critical part I went with a new one. They retail for $57.95, doesn't seem to be any on hand where I called and had to drop ship from the factory. Once it is assembled to the cable I will paint it.

Attachments

mutt_r

Just saw a used rear canopy sell on ebay for $810.00 + shipping which would have been $50 for me. I guess some lucky goat owner has deeper pockets than I do.
rear curtain just sold for $102.00 USED! is navy buying up the stock ! M38 just got me one brand new for 20 bucks !!! should be called super expensive bay !
And today we have a $355.00 + shipping top for the tractor w/o doors.

m38inmaine

A slight diversion from the winch project, found a new rear cover here in the SS classified section. I had the end curtians already and the color match was pretty close, lots of turn fasteners. I don't have it secured yet, just tossed it on over the bows. Also decided to remove my soft top and rebuild the hard top that I got with the goat. I'm looking for some of the front seal trim pieces and door glass.

Attachments

m38inmaine

The snow, cold and Ice have taken a good hold here in Maine, goat activities for the winter have come to a halt. Did finish painting the chain/hook assembly and cable clevis. Still need to order the wire rope and finish the console for the pto handle.

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Mark,
Your winch is looking good.

Where did you source the hull seal for the winch input shaft ?

I am going to have to get one or add another bilge pump to the hull before she goes swimming.

Thanks

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

NSN 5330-00-080-0277 P/N 11595527, I tried the usual suppliers and found none. I got mine in a lot of winch parts on ebay. My thought if I did not find one was to try and find a oil seal with the correct dimensions. You would need the ID of the 3" boss welded to the hull and the OD of the winch boss that enters the hull hole and a tiny friend to install it. A couple of other options may be to cut a plug out of some high density foam or use some expanding spray foam and trim off excess. I am still trying to find the trim pieces for the console where the pto handle exits. Sourcing winch kit parts can be a challenge.

m38inmaine

After a long time searching the final missing parts for the winch install arrived today. Now to get busy cutting a slot in the center console.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Lots of measuring and it is installed, the wire around the lever is a safety catch included in the hardware kit, prevents the pto lever from being engaged by accident. Next project is ready to go.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks