• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions Michelin XZL 365/85r20

welldigger

The 365's are the metric equivalent of the 14.5x20's found on the a3's. If you are using 2 piece bolt together wheels I don't believe there is really any difference in mounting other than maybe weight. Me and a friend mounted some 14.00x20's on a3 wheels and it was no big deal. So the 395's I'm about to mount will be a breeze. 365's tend to be more expensive than 395's due to the limited number used by the military. Plus I like the speed and ground clearance boost of the 395's.

rongaudier

The 365's are the metric equivalent of the 14.5x20's found on the a3's. If you are using 2 piece bolt together wheels I don't believe there is really any difference in mounting other than maybe weight. Me and a friend mounted some 14.00x20's on a3 wheels and it was no big deal. So the 395's I'm about to mount will be a breeze. 365's tend to be more expensive than 395's due to the limited number used by the military. Plus I like the speed and ground clearance boost of the 395's.
Now since the 395's fit on stock wheels, I'm assuming the 365's should go on even easier since they are narrower? Anyone try this yet?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 365's are the metric equivalent of the 14.5x20's found on the a3's.....
If we are talking about 365/85R20 that is not quite correct... the 365/80R20's are.
The /85 vs. /80 makes for almost two inches more diameter. The Michelin 365/85R20 XZL is about 45" O.D.

G.

welldigger

Interesting G. I didn't realize they had 2 different aspect ratios in the 365 width. Not surprising really. As always your knowledge impresses me.

jeremymx26

There seems to be lots of six tires coming up for auction on GL. Would they fit on a duece without any mods or rubbing? And I'm guessing you would have to run singles.

tobyS

Welldigger, you should ask Gringeltaube about rim differences. I was asking a similar question, about tires with (nearly) the same diameter as my 11.00R20 and find that while the tires are about the same OD, they do not mount on the same rims as the 14.00R20. There appears to be 2 mm of diameter difference in the rim diameter of the industrial and metric rims. Thus I do not believe you will just mount 365 or 395 on the A3 rim and have a proper fit.

...but I'm no authority, just trying to prevent both of us a lot of work for bad results. What I still question is if the 14.5 requires the same rim as the metric 365?

My purpose is to have a more "flotation" front tire while keeping the dual 11.00 rears. Which I still have not solved, re the rim/tire combination for putting an equal diameter tire on the 925 with 11.00R20 (without machining a deuce rim for ten bolt pattern). Going to 22.5 is one option a member used, but I'd hoped to stay with military 20". My $02.

Last edited:

JOateyNV

Welldigger, you should ask Gringeltaube about rim differences. I was asking a similar question, about tires with (nearly) the same diameter as my 11.00R20 and find that while the tires are about the same OD, they do not mount on the same rims as the 14.00R20. There appears to be 2 mm of diameter difference in the rim diameter of the industrial and metric rims. Thus I do not believe you will just mount 365 or 395 on the A3 rim and have a proper fit.

...but I'm no authority, just trying to prevent both of us a lot of work for bad results. What I still question is if the 14.5 requires the same rim as the metric 365?

My purpose is to have a more "flotation" front tire while keeping the dual 11.00 rears. Which I still have not solved, re the rim/tire combination for putting an equal diameter tire on the 925 with 11.00R20 (without machining a deuce rim for ten bolt pattern). Going to 22.5 is one option a member used, but I'd hoped to stay with military 20". My $02.
TobyS, if you are looking to go with 11.00r20 dueled in the back an 14.5R20 is the same height mount on a A3 rim and you are good to go. (I happen to have that tire for sale, only 1)

tobyS

I went through this question on another thread and while I was confused a bit by the difference in the metric vs. industrial, I came to believe there is a difference, based upon Gringeltaube's info. I'm sorry for not being proficient enough to bring that info to this thread but will make a copy-paste attempt with a chart that has both of the rim diameters for comparison.

And here is the advise from Gringeltaube; (copy/paste)

"Yes they are the same O.D.. But in order to run 14.5's (or their metric equivalent size 365/80R20) you will need M35A3 wheels and have them recentered.

14.5R20 /A3 wheels are the European MPT style. DO NOT MOUNT AND RUN MPT-tires on stock M939A1 /A2 wheels: bead flanges are different and not compatible!!"

Please note that the 365/80 and the 365/85 are about 2" different and the rev/mile is much different so while the 365/80 will be within one r/mi, the 365/85 are much different and are not compatible with the 11.00R20 (diameter).

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks JOateyNV, but we are very far apart and shipping would be a killer. But I do want to get this figured out so when cash flow improves, I'm ready.

Sephirothq...were closer... but the 365/85 is 2" taller than my 11.00R20. I need 365/80 but thanks for the offer.

welldigger

The issue with a3 wheels is the bead. It is an mpt bead. You can mount both mpt tires and non mpt tires on an a3 wheel.

However, 5 ton wheels are non mpt beads. So ONLY non mpt tires can be mounted on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks