• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local Veteran's Day parade wanted the HMMWV and told me I would have two WWII vets in the back seats. Cool, I'll be there.

So I get to the staging area this morning and discovered my County Sheriffs have an MRAP? Sleepy little county with a SWAT team, an armored HMMWV (they didn't bring it because it's broke) and this giant MRAP?

View attachment 910316

So the parade people inform me they want me to carry three WWII vets and one of the wives, and that they're the parade Grand Marshals.

OK, but I only have three seats, so they put one of the vets in the vehicle behind me. I was sorta the lead vehicle. The County firetruck was lead, then the Marine Color Guard, then me.

View attachment 910317

View attachment 910318
God Bless America!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today looked like the last day for a while that I could take the DuraVee to the beach, as usual I got a pre-dawn ride on the ferry and then breakfast at the best restaurant on the island, 4 eggs, 4 pancakes, steak, 2 sausage patties, two pieces of toast and a large tea in a to-go cup $10.00, should not have ordered the pancakes but no body was looking so they did not count yes???
I guess it is getting time to pull the doors down on the shop and go to work.
11-20.jpg11_20.jpg
68 was a little cool for short sleeves, but not uncomfortable enough for me to break out the "emergency" long sleeve shirt.
I picked up a little rain on the way home, that was not even forecast

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine heats with wood. But as the road to his wood yard is in about the same state as the front in the Ukraine due to the snowfall of the last few days, I helped him.
No chance of getting there with a normal vehicle, like my RAM or Durango.
But the view from there was great... from above over the beautiful Lake Constance.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine heats with wood. But as the road to his wood yard is in about the same state as the front in the Ukraine due to the snowfall of the last few days, I helped him.
No chance of getting there with a normal vehicle, like my RAM or Durango.
But the view from there was great... from above over the beautiful Lake Constance.
Beautiful!!!
I have two 96/11s and two K31s (one sport/re barreled in 338 fed) all fine examples of Swiss engineering, one 96/11 is probably the only possession I still have after over 50 years

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a front moving through today so I stuck the DuraVee back together (installing A/C) and went to town for lunch, a little 40 mile jog, forgot to take a pic, then I had a buddy ride me over the George West to pick up the scooter I bought for Pam, a 22 Honda Rebel 500 with only 400mi on the clock!
Surprising power/weight ratio for sure
Merry Christmas babe!!!
Honda.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a trip in the DuraVee to Texas Humvee's shop in Mico TX Friday to help with some electrical troubleshooting on a M1151A1.
I decided as I hit the road at 3:45AM to take the scenic route up Hwy 181 instead of the boring ride up I37, I did think to myself that I would be taking a somewhat larger chance on having a deer encounter and only 15 mi or so up the road I did... A really nice looking buck was crossing the road and if he had any snot on his nose I surly wiped it off as I took as much of an evasive maneuver as I dared to and expect to keep the greasy side down.
Don and I had a grand time playing with wires and whatnot as we usually do.
I had the chance to look at some of West Kentucky surplus's work, a set of fiberglass doors and the new "armored" hard top, both looked and fit well.
Unfortunately I was so concentrated on work and then ready to hit the road to get home I did not take a single picture, need to put a post-it on the inside of the windshield next time!!
I managed to wiz through San Antonio before the traffic got too heavy in the morning and had plenty of time to stop and have a hearty breakfast before getting to Mico.
The 330 mile day was very enjoyable as I also took the scenic route on the way home, stopping in a nice mom and pop restaurant in Florelsville for a late lunch along the way !!!
It is nice that it is warming up enough to run highway speeds without doors or rear curtain at 3:30 in the morning!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks