• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well it is Beeville TX, not allot of choices but yes the hot and spicy shrimp is pretty dang good
I thought BBQ's beef was the only choice in the great state of Texas.

Somehow, I had visions of Sesame Beef (no chicken), Beef Lo Mein, Beef Egg Roll, Teriyaki Beef, Beef Fried Rice, Beef Rice Soup, Beef Noodle Soup, Sweet & Sour Beef, Beef & Broccoli, Kung Po Beef, Szechuan Beef, Hunan Beef, Hot & Spicy Beef.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Somehow, I had visions of Sesame Beef (no chicken), Beef Lo Mein, Beef Egg Roll, Teriyaki Beef, Beef Fried Rice, Beef Rice Soup, Beef Noodle Soup, Sweet & Sour Beef, Beef & Broccoli, Kung Po Beef, Szechuan Beef, Hunan Beef, Hot & Spicy Beef.

You are right about the BBQ, but the wifey is the master of the pit so we do our own, here is the pit I built for her a couple years ago.
2.jpg
Watched the welders at work build them for 35 years, figured I could do better and did, I came up with a different idea about a heat defuser for the main grill and it works great, I spread 10 grilltop thermometers around the grill and they were all real close to each other no hot or cold spots!
She smokes the best dang jerky in the state as far as I am concerned and the brisket just melts in your mouth!
Fire box for steaks, center box for BBQ and the square box on the end is the smoker.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You are right about the BBQ, but the wifey is the master of the pit so we do our own, here is the pit I built for her a couple years ago.
View attachment 864131
Watched the welders at work build them for 35 years, figured I could do better and did, I came up with a different idea about a heat defuser for the main grill and it works great, I spread 10 grilltop thermometers around the grill and they were all real close to each other no hot or cold spots!
She smokes the best dang jerky in the state as far as I am concerned and the brisket just melts in your mouth!
Fire box for steaks, center box for BBQ and the square box on the end is the smoker.
Wow!! That is a FIRST CLASS cooker!
You just can't beat having a woman that loves to cook.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Oh we eat a pot load of yard bird, allot of it off the pit and we have 367 miles of shoreline, more than any other state so we our share of gulf shrimp.
Not sure where the Chicom eatery gets the shrimp but they are good, this is what we usually do with shrimp when the guy from the docks sets us up with a few oysters mixed in.
IMG_20211201_182350704.jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my way to Beeville this morning for supplies and of course some Chinese food I stumbled across a couple M1123s sitting on the side of the road in Skidmore, something you do not see every day!
By the looks of them they did not get there under their own power, will have to keep an eye on these...
IMG_20220411_104434233_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220411_104611745_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220411_104555678_HDR.jpg
EDIT, came out of Leesburg, sold on 10-20-21 about 20K for the pair

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First ride in 2022. Parked truck in early November and unhooked the batteries. It's in the 50's here today so felt like going for a ride. Truck started right up with no hesitation. Did about 30 miles, truck ran great.
Great to see another JRTC on the road, How the heck did it get from FT. Polk to PA?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you like that top? I’m considering one.
Well it is the driest one out there AFAIK, going to be a challenge to add AC as there is a ton of cubic feet there.
It is certainly not the most aerodynamic shape.
Once I flipped the side doors the storage area is great! the way they came you needed to be 8 feet tall to reach in over the door to the box and this way they are much more water proof as I added a drip edge.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran down this morning to have breakfast at my favorite spot in Port Aransas, braving the heat (101 today) and running the beach for a while.
IMG_20220612_071003139.jpg
Boy this guy did not even make it out of the traffic lane before getting his boulevard cruiser stuck to the "frame", was an easy pull once he used my shovel to dig underneath far enough to find something not made of plastic...
IMG_20220612_085805047.jpg
I am glad I carry a tree saver, somewhat cheaper than the main strap so that is what I hand the stuck driver to attach in case it gets damaged
IMG_20220612_091652504.jpg
Notice the small pile of sand behind the rear wheel in the last picture, I figured I had not pulled him far enough but for some reason he had all 4 wheels locked up, I did not even know until I noticed him plowing sand!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another beautiful day at the beach in Port A today, as expected there were lots of bikinis, sorry I mean folks on the beach, met a couple with a desert colored HMMWV "pickup" basically the same as the DuraVee is setup now theirs was a 2001 with a GEP NA and 4 speed, forgot to take a photo, what a dummy!!
IMG_20220702_070838748.jpg
Sure hope these folks get back soon!!
IMG_20220702_073812872.jpg

springer1981

Did parade duty today and the truck ran perfectly, never broke 190 temp. My copilot today did a fantastic job throwing out lollipops and waiving to everyone. We used comms the entire time which she loved and actually made it great for talking. The crowd really loved the truck and it was the only HMMWV in the parade. Fitted it yesterday with 2 new flags.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did parade duty today and the truck ran perfectly, never broke 190 temp. My copilot today did a fantastic job throwing out lollipops and waiving to everyone. We used comms the entire time which she loved and actually made it great for talking. The crowd really loved the truck and it was the only HMMWV in the parade. Fitted it yesterday with 2 new flags.

View attachment 872247

View attachment 872248

View attachment 872249

View attachment 872250
Looked like you co-pilot was having a good time too!

Extra neat that you could be a part of the parade - and being the only HMMWV - freshly painted and looking sharp made it even better.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How far can you push a HMMWV before you get it stuck?
@GTUnit ,

There are a hundred variables on how far you can push that HMMWV before "it won't go". My personal opinion is that the driver will make a big difference in where it will go before she bogs down and sits there... Driving gently rather than slapping the throttle when it slides a little can stop you in your tracks an bury the truck to the axles.

Then there are things like tires. What you have... Is it dirt rated, street rated, mud and snow rated? That makes a big difference. How much pressure is in those tires matters a lot too. Ten or twelve pounds of air "fattens" the track of the tires even in sand - that makes a big difference. Back to the operator: The one who stops at the first spin, gets out and lowers the tire pressure might drive out. The hot rod operator who slams the peddle to the floor might just sit there and spin...

Lockers would help too of course, but that still requires a brain behind the steering wheel. No insults to anyone's intelligence, but that does make a difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks