• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

I was out of state a few years ago and the in-laws took us to a restaurant called Texas Roadhouse (chain)
I said we will see about this! and ordered one of the most Texas dishes of all, Chicken Fried Steak and was totally shocked when they said it was not on the menu.
The out and out gall to have Texas in their name and not serve Chicken Fried Steak!!
Have you ever tried eating LuLu's cafe in San Antonio? now those are huge CFS.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever tired eating LuLu's cafe in San Antonio? now those are huge CFS.
Yes, I grew up in SA and my sisters still live there, they are huge!
CFS.jpg
EDIT, looks like the Wuhan got them, looks like they have been closed since Thanksgiving 2020 according to their FB page.
And their phone has been disconnected

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the DuraVee for a little jog today to see how it handles with the shelter in place, poor psychobilly DuraVee, by the looks of it you would expect Jethro Bodine to step out of it.
It was in the low 40s when I took off and the pool noodles did a fairly good job of temporarily sealing the gap between the cab and shelter but of course there are big gaping holes behind each seat, these will be addressed by putting in bulkheads from the back side of the cross bar behind the seats to the floor when I rip it all apart again as this is just a trial fitting of the roof, doors and shelter.

I was comfortable enough in short sleeves, but the gap between the top of the doors and the roof made some hellacious noise, these will be filled by the custom broke moldings my metal guy made when he made the roof, I have to take it back to him to trim above the doors as he knew it was going to be too "wide" but thought it would be best to wait, mark and recut the sides after the top and doors were fitted and he was 100% correct as the gap uneven and actually opposite from one side to the other to the top of the doors.

One of the things I have not worked out yet is the permanent seal between the B pillar and the shelter, it of course cannot be ridged but there is not much movement between the B pillar and the shelter those are some pretty damn solid bushings.
IMG_20220205_134505472_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220205_134520193_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220205_134533890_HDR.jpg
But it drove great, I think it rides a little better and it hummed along legal speed with ease

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Took the DuraVee for a little jog today to see how it handles with the shelter in place, poor psychobilly DuraVee, by the looks of it you would expect Jethro Bodine to step out of it.
It was in the low 40s when I took off and the pool noodles did a fairly good job of temporarily sealing the gap between the cab and shelter but of course there are big gaping holes behind each seat, these will be addressed by putting in bulkheads from the back side of the cross bar behind the seats to the floor when I rip it all apart again as this is just a trial fitting of the roof, doors and shelter.

I was comfortable enough in short sleeves, but the gap between the top of the doors and the roof made some hellacious noise, these will be filled by the custom broke moldings my metal guy made when he made the roof, I have to take it back to him to trim above the doors as he knew it was going to be too "wide" but thought it would be best to wait, mark and recut the sides after the top and doors were fitted and he was 100% correct as the gap uneven and actually opposite from one side to the other to the top of the doors.

One of the things I have not worked out yet is the permanent seal between the B pillar and the shelter, it of course cannot be ridged but there is not much movement between the B pillar and the shelter those are some pretty damn solid bushings.
View attachment 857991
View attachment 857992
View attachment 857993
But it drove great, I think it rides a little better and it hummed along legal speed with ease
cool beans, now you just need those litle half doors for the back, the ones with handles on outside only.
Can fit a lot os stuff in there, maybe even make nic way to lock the doors to protect your stuff.
Maybe your guy can make them?

And I like your noodle use too..................

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cool beans, now you just need those litle half doors for the back, the ones with handles on outside only.
Can fit a lot os stuff in there, maybe even make nic way to lock the doors to protect your stuff.
Maybe your guy can make them?

And I like your noodle use too..................
I have the filler doors for the pickup version that we will cut down to fit, plans are to rip out the rear seat bases and on the right side installing a custom 35 gallon "water tank" as my metal guy is calling it for legal reasons. and on the drivers side likely deep cycle batteries and or tool storage.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my BEOD, they sealed up between the cab and the body with a strip of velcro, the same as if it was a troop cargo cover.

You could always get a full wall built behind the cab to seal it up, then you wouldn't have to worry about any gaps between you and the shelter.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my BEOD, they sealed up between the cab and the body with a strip of velcro, the same as if it was a troop cargo cover.

You could always get a full wall built behind the cab to seal it up, then you wouldn't have to worry about any gaps between you and the shelter.
Three reasons I do not want a wall, 1, just more weight, 2 I, want to cut a pass-through so there would HAVE to be a seal anyway and 3, I am going to be passing a crap load of com. and power cables between the cab and shelter so every one would have to deal with two walls, there will be bulkheads from the cross braces behind the seats to the floor so all I have to deal with is from the cross braces up.
besides the shelter sits on top of the cross braces so a wall would be a convoluted venture to start with.
IMG_20220201_125046837_HDR.jpg
AND I already lost one notch on my seat position and cannot afford any more loss, I guess that is #4

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pool noodles are doing a great job although could not be permanent, I wonder if I could cut a large bicycle tube or three and actually seal the ends and inflate them between the B pillar and the shelter, I had something very similar back in the 80s between the cab window and camper top on a pickup worked great!!
Would be cheap and easy, just like I like!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a thread going in the mod section and the camper mod section, and I should not be running multiple threads, this was more of an "out and about"
everything about the shelter mods is going to move to the camper mod forum.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the annual S. Padre Island cleanup was today, and it was not pretty, drizzle on and off and around 44 deg. the sand was not good ether, our group went 46 miles down the beach for a 92mi round trip (they always put us on the long runs for some reason) each group walks and picks up 1 mile of beach, leapfrogging the vehicles along the way.
The first 7 miles of course is always good, to lure you into thinking this will be a milk run, and the last 5 or 6 miles was pretty decent, everything in between was pretty soft.
The leader had a new 4X4 truck with nice wide tires and he was in a hurry so we slugged it out with the sand.
We drove for about 30 miles at 35MPH in really soft sand, I was intentionally dogging the truck in 5th and 6th gear to see how the transmission would handle it, full throttle somewhere between 2000 and 2500 RPM, and then I would guess his trans light came on and he slowed down considerably for the last few miles.
The 6L80 worked flawlessly, I was monitoring it on a laptop during the run and the highest peak temp was 212 deg. not too bad considering it was running out of TC lock most of the time we were slugging out.
On the return trip of course pretty much everyone was on their own so we went into low range and ran out of there at 20-25 MPH in 6th lockup at around 2600 RPM and the trans ran 145-150 deg all the way out!
IMG_20220226_074635117.jpg
The turnout was pretty good considering the weather.
IMG_20220226_101458572_HDR.jpg
This was about half of what we ended up with, then on the way back there were several groups that did not have enough space, maybe no trailers and so we picked up another bunch of trash already bagged up, same deal the truck/trailers would just leapfrog (my word of the day!) each other.
IMG_20220226_112810590_HDR.jpg
Wish I had taken more photos.
Several vehicles got stuck but their was plenty of help, again should have taken more pictures but those were areas I was not comfortable stopping anyway.
The Trash is actually quite heavy as most of it is filled with wet sand.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yes I forgot, I did rib the Jeep folks a little as I knew I would be surrounded by them...
IMG_2022022HDR.jpg
EDIT, we also burned tons of fuel, the gauge was on E for about the last 20mi of beach and then its another 10-12 miles to the nearest fuel stop and it had plastic bags on all the diesel nozzles, when I did get to fill up we put 23 gallons in it, I was determined to get fuel in it before going over the causeway and channel bridge which was walled off to one lane for road work, NOT a good place to run out of fuel, we did have 5gal on the trailer so if nothing else I would have dumped it before then.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like your bumper strip :cool:

Thanks from all of us for the day you dedicated to cleaning up the beach. Looks like your truck had fun too!
The admin gives those of us with trailers several large rolls of those orange bags so we can replace the bags as they are loaded, every year we try to give back the surplus and are told to just keep them.
So in March when the weather gets tolerable to be on the beach and before too hot to comfortably ride in an un-air conditioned HMMWV we make a couple trips down the beach and because the wife likes to collect things for her garden not allowed inside the HMMWV (if you have never smelled a log encrusted with dead and dying barnacles count yourself lucky) we haul the trailer.
We stop by the campsites and hand out bags and ask the campers to put their trash in them and also ask them to police the area around their campsites, tie the bags up and set them out and we pick them up on the way back.
After the initial shock of seeing a Humvee drive up we have always received positive responses.
At that time of year there may be only a dozen or so camp sites in our normal 15-20 mile trip down the beach.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks