• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA - Spring 2015 Rausch Creek Steel Soldiers Rally

drecon

Good time off-roading. O trail had one good downhill to start things off. Timbering has opened things up. Lake Christy either silted in some or the water was a bit lower. We had several guys stuck in the past with 53"s. Getting in and out has gotten a bit tougher.View attachment 553559View attachment 553560View attachment 553561View attachment 553562View attachment 553563View attachment 553564View attachment 553565View attachment 553566View attachment 553567
It was only hard if you drive like Shenkmen Pfffff

Thanks guys. Sh*t happens, especially when you have a toilet on the front of your truck. :DNeed to get replacement engine soon to get back to KY. But it's all ok, I had a blast this weekend. Would do it all again in a heartbeat. And with my car accident the other day, that makes two vehicles I've killed this month. aua

mikey

One thing I think we should do next time is break up into smaller groups. A large convoy through the park is great, but this time around saw the group falling apart by late afternoon for various reasons. I think next time we should do groups of 3-4 trucks each, and take different routes according to the desires and capabilities of the offroaders.
Boy I'd hate to run into another group, or two, coming in the opposite direction.

Mikey

datadawg

Blew up engine on way home. Got you all beat.
View attachment 553722

On another note, anyone have a spare Detroit 6.2L engine laying around?
That sux. Your best bet will be GL, but it's all luck if you can find one and it's close. There is also http://car-part.com/ which is a database of salvage yards. They usually only handle civvy parts, and I don't know enough about Detroit Diesels to know if they are in any other small trucks.

PaFarmer

Boy I'd hate to run into another group, or two, coming in the opposite direction.

Mikey
It happened this weekend on the pole line trail in a narrow spot and it sucked. I spent a lot of time waiting at the front, it was frustrating. I think smaller groups would move along better and would give people more choices on what to ride. It was cool getting back down to lake christy again and the timbering definitely opened trails like o and c up better.

Pkrez1

It happened this weekend on the pole line trail in a narrow spot and it sucked. I spent a lot of time waiting at the front, it was frustrating. I think smaller groups would move along better and would give people more choices on what to ride. It was cool getting back down to lake christy again and the timbering definitely opened trails like o and c up better.
you thought it sucked but I thought it just added to the adventure of off-roading with giant trucks. I enjoyed the entire day.

PaFarmer

you thought it sucked but I thought it just added to the adventure of off-roading with giant trucks. I enjoyed the entire day.
I am glad you had a good time. I would have had a better time if we kept moving. Maybe for me it is not an adventure anymore. I have been off roading since 1996 and mil vehicles at RC rallies since 2008. Waiting for a small group to pass our larger group on the pole line trail, sucked. It was not fun backing down the hill and up a bank to let them past. They could have stopped and backed up as easy as having our whole group stop and wait for them to pass. It really was not a big deal, but the guys who roll along or park in the middle of a trail don't think about the guys that need to sit and wait. We discussed our route at the morning meeting. Without good CB communication the delays were frustrating to me.

I have been on rides with over a thousand jeeps at RC (Topless for TaTas) and did not have near as many delays as this weekend. When jeep groups run into each other it is easier to squeeze past each other. I told several groups we ran into that the army trucks were coming along and they decided to turn around or detour. Not everyone thinks our trucks are as cool as we do. There was CB chatter from other groups not happy with us.

shenkmen

That was a fantastic weekend. Thanks to everyone for coming and adding to the fun. Max and I enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to seeing you guys and doing it again .

Cheers,
shenkmen

mikey

That was a fantastic weekend. Thanks to everyone for coming and adding to the fun. Max and I enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to seeing you guys and doing it again .

Cheers,
shenkmen
Youre just happy that you got your axe back.

I was happy to see a magnesium fire!!!

this weekend was my favorite rc event to date and it was my 4th going back to 2011. Thanks to everyone like Chip and Joe that put it together. It was great to see some new faces as well as some old ones.

Mikey

Jason O

I learned a few things from this weekend:
CB radios in each truck would make the ride go a little smoother.
Some sort of storage in the cab to keep loose stuff from flying around would be helpful.
Out of my entire assortment of toys (CJ7, Jeep Grand Wagoneer, FJ Cruiser) the 5-tonners are the most fun.

I'm local to Rausch Creek, but am moving 5 hrs away this spring. Now I need an old Peterbilt, KW, or Mack Superliner and step deck trailer so we can load up the 5-tonners and attend more of these events.

PKrez1 - Great Video!!!

Jason O

Who else was a little sore from being bounced around on the ride? I doubt the 2 old guys in the 931A2 behind me were able to move the following day.

Pkrez1

I wasn't sore but I did run over a tree when I was picking up my lunch that bounced off the seat. Haha. It stinks that I missed some good mud action with the camera but I'll get it next time. Also sorry to everyone that had to move over when I came down the trail the wrong way. I was just trying to catch up to everyone and didn't know where to go.

PA Farmer sorry you had back up and go onto a bank to get out of my way. I'll invest in a CB so it never happens again. And as far as the jeep guys, who cares what they say , I was waiting for them at times and I paid money to be there also. I always try to be courteous to everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks