• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PETLAS Has anyone tried these tires?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are so many late date but have been mounted tires available I wonder if many of those had failed inspection after being mounted, not being surplussed because the shelf life ran out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Petlas tires weigh 69LB, the only Goodyear weight I could find quickly is the MT/R at 83LB

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the weight difference, makes me wonder if they are all nylon belted, and not steel belted. I could not find that info in the description, but I did come across this statement in their description " The intended purpose of Mud Terrain tire types is off-road use. They are not designed for regular highway driving. "

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think if you dig most manufactures have that statement hoping to limit liability
Looking at the weight difference, makes me wonder if they are all nylon belted, and not steel belted. I could not find that info in the description, but I did come across this statement in their description " The intended purpose of Mud Terrain tire types is off-road use. They are not designed for regular highway driving. "

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they DOT stamped or have a speed rating?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent in for a shipping quote so the actual price can be compared, although I would expect it to be less than the $90 difference in price.
Of course the Goodyears could be made in China or any other of a host of third world countries.
Not sure about our size, but the rest of the Enforcer family of tires is manufactured in U.S.A. of foreign and domestic components.
I'd imagine with it being a military contract that our sizes are also domestically produced.

87cr250r

If you have 17 inch rims Yokohama Geolandar MT are available in 37x12.5. Mine are under a M1008. I had to hand mount them because I didn't have a running truck at the time. They're not balanced and are still smooth at 65mph. I have load range D tires. They're made in Japan. I can tell they're noisy but I can't really hear them over the engine. I think it was $350 a tire with free shipping.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have 17 inch rims Yokohama Geolandar MT are available in 37x12.5. Mine are under a M1008. I had to hand mount them because I didn't have a running truck at the time. They're not balanced and are still smooth at 65mph. I have load range D tires. They're made in Japan. I can tell they're noisy but I can't really hear them over the engine. I think it was $350 a tire with free shipping.
17 inch opens up a ton of options, personally I have not found a set of rims I like.

87cr250r

17 inch opens up a ton of options, personally I have not found a set of rims I like.
Can you get some donor steel rims and have them welded on your centers? For the M1008 I found a bunch of Dodge rims from 2000ish on Rock Auto. They were cheap.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you get some donor steel rims and have them welded on your centers? For the M1008 I found a bunch of Dodge rims from 2000ish on Rock Auto. They were cheap.
I'm sure it can be done, I do not have that capability.

blutow

Sorry, missed this. Last I checked they had them at MAC Motors. I dont know if they still have any or not.
I got a set of 4 new enforcers from Mac motors for under $2k (including shipping). I had to go pick them up at a local freight depot to get reasonable shipping. That was over a year ago, not sure of current pricing. Installed w run flats and they run smooth up to highway speeds (got lucky that they didn’t need balancing). I did check carefully the runout of my rims and aligned the heavy spot on the tire (marked on new tires w red or yellow dots, can’t remember which one I used).

Used tires with recent date codes seem like a good deal, I just have a mental hangup on buying used tires and the price difference on current date codes wasn’t that much.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the best price I have found on these tires is the same for 1-2-4 or 5 tires shipped per tire I decided to just get one and see what they looked like.
So here is my first impressions and some specs compared to the BFGs
They are a little more aggressive than the pictures led me to believe which is good and maybe a little taller than the BFGs
So compared to the BFGs
Petlas tread depth, .580, BFG .550
Petlas load range E, load index 133 = 4541lb, BFG load range E load index 127= 3858lb
Both tires have a 10 ply rating (of course this has nothing to do with how many actual plies there are)
Petlas tread 3 poly, 2 steel and 2 nylon, BFG 4 poly, 2 steel and 1 nylon
Petlas side wall 3 poly, BFG 4 poly
So the BFGs may be a little better for the rock guys with a 4 ply sidewall, The Petlas may ride a little smoother, the Petlas has a more aggressive sidewall, but of course nether are good for serious rock work.
The Petlas seem to have a quality build and finish.
Unfortunately I am being pulled in several different directions right now so it may be a month or so before I get finished setting up to measure the rim radial and lateral runout and marking static balance, then get this tire mounted and balanced.
IMG_20231121_133814766.jpg

Last edited:

camarossguy2

Considering the best price I have found on these tires is the same for 1-2-4 or 5 tires shipped per tire I decided to just get one and see what they looked like.
So here is my first impressions and some specs compared to the BFGs
They are a little more aggressive than the pictures led me to believe which is good and maybe a little taller than the BFGs
So compared to the BFGs
Petlas tread depth, .580, BFG .550
Petlas load range E, load index 133 = 4541lb, BFG load range E load index 127= 3858lb
Both tires have a 10 ply rating (of course this has nothing to do with how many actual plies there are)
Petlas tread 3 poly, 2 steel and 2 nylon, BFG 4 poly, 2 steel and 1 nylon
Petlas side wall 3 poly, BFG 4 poly
So the BFGs may be a little better for the rock guys with a 4 ply sidewall, The Petlas may ride a little smoother, the Petlas has a more aggressive sidewall, but of course nether are good for serious rock work.
The Petlas seem to have a quality build and finish.
Unfortunately I am being pulled in several different directions right now so it may be a month or so before I get finished setting up to measure the rim radial and lateral runout and marking static balance, then get this tire mounted and balanced.
View attachment 911089
Any updates on the peltas? pictures installed? how well they ride/balance? Thanks

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates on the peltas? pictures installed? how well they ride/balance? Thanks
Sorry, still need to check all the rims first, it is spring in S TX so ranch work takes president, that and my knees are only allowing a few hours a day to work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks