• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

picks of my 25,000 dollar humvee project

jjramrod

ok getting kinda tired of this

I bought it a year ago. When people weren't so anxious to sell any military humvees. Right after I bought it I had two offers to buy it from me for 25k. I didn't just get it anyhow. I got the humvee running and driving, 3 extra driveshafts, 2 pumpkins, 2 lockers, 2 soft tops, 10 brake pads, an extra shifting assembly, and a bunch of other stuff. At the time I spent the money it wasn't a problem. I was. Making any where from 100.00 to 1000.00 an hour got the money together in a month and that was that. Now I haven't worked much in the last year due to this recession. But I keep my head up spirits high and know things will get better. I wasn't naive im happy with my purchase. Maybe your just sad that you don't have one. Or maybe you just aren't happy all together but I am and you can go preach to someone else preacherboy.

Preacherboy

I bought it a year ago. When people weren't so anxious to sell any military humvees. Right after I bought it I had two offers to buy it from me for 25k. I didn't just get it anyhow. I got the humvee running and driving, 3 extra driveshafts, 2 pumpkins, 2 lockers, 2 soft tops, 10 brake pads, an extra shifting assembly, and a bunch of other stuff. At the time I spent the money it wasn't a problem. I was. Making any where from 100.00 to 1000.00 an hour got the money together in a month and that was that. Now I haven't worked much in the last year due to this recession. But I keep my head up spirits high and know things will get better. I wasn't naive im happy with my purchase. Maybe your just sad that you don't have one. Or maybe you just aren't happy all together but I am and you can go preach to someone else preacherboy.
Not preaching at you, just letting you know why you are getting bashed so much...people don't actually believe that you were naive enough to pay $25,000 for that truck. Folks think you are "trolling". But you probably did, I have no reason to doubt you...actually I was trying to be helpful, in the future you should consider taking a picture of said vehicle, post it on here and ask, is x amount too much?

Shoot, if I was offered $25,000 I'd sell it in a heartbeat and contact someone who has one already restored for about the same price and buy it and be done.

If you re-read my post I re-affirmed that it is your decision what you do with your money, have at it! I never bashed you or preached at you. It doesn't matter to me what you do as long as you are not hurting someone close to me; however, I am interested in helping folks not get ripped off. There are people out there that will try to take advantage of folks at every turn, me and a lot of our steelsoldiers brethren are on the lookout for those folks, we are here to help.

By the way, I am happy with my vehicles; and I am not sad that I don't have your truck...and I definately don't dream about military hmmwv's all day long, I've sat in one and my deuce is more comfortable, so I'm happy with that! I've not rode in a civilian H1, but I'm sure my suburban (with the same powerplant) is just as comfortable if not more!

You don't have to justify your purchases to me, just as I don't have to justify mine to you; but you made the post which opens yourself up to all kinds of comments both negative and positive. I believe that you also have the power to delete your thread too if you don't like what is being written.

jjramrod

Ok first of all I did try to find out about getting a humvee on here. Before I got this one and everyone wanted 35k or more. Then I thought what's the point in buying a humvee that is restored and tearing it apart to make what I want. When its done I wont have 30k into it. I should have less than 25k by the time I sell everything I don't need that came with it. I appreciate the looking out for people patrolle but its too late and im fine. Oh and I've seen just body tubs for 14k. If I was to buy everything piece by piece it would of cost alot more.

jjramrod

transmission

So out of curiosity let's see what you guys think. What would be the best 6 speed standard transmission? My only experience is with dodge. But id like to know witch is the most heavy duty and reliable?

Chief_919

So out of curiosity let's see what you guys think. What would be the best 6 speed standard transmission? My only experience is with dodge. But id like to know witch is the most heavy duty and reliable?
Based on how the transmission sits, working a manual transmission in there is going to be very unwieldy to shift.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JJ - I think saving this was a good thing. It may be a lot more than most here, but hey, it's your cash. You can restore it how you want it, without trashing a restored example. Please keep us updated with pics as you progress....

buzzinhalfdozzen

Don't know much about 350 engines but I know it only runs good on racing fuel, it sounds like a jet engine, it sucks fuel like its going out of style, and it will burn all 4 tires off. I don't really care any how just letting ya know its getting sold to my buddy anyhow.
2 barrel carb (maybe 1 barrel?), factory manifolds, smog heads, cast iron anchor intake manifold. I'd say you have a whopping 165 hp there on a good day.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

Ok first of all I did try to find out about getting a humvee on here. Before I got this one and everyone wanted 35k or more. Then I thought what's the point in buying a humvee that is restored and tearing it apart to make what I want. When its done I wont have 30k into it. I should have less than 25k by the time I sell everything I don't need that came with it. I appreciate the looking out for people patrolle but its too late and im fine. Oh and I've seen just body tubs for 14k. If I was to buy everything piece by piece it would of cost alot more.
Keep us posted, we all would love to learn from you and how you will get your Cummins engine, new transmission and paint, tires, etc. and keep your total cost under $25,000.

keep posting prices and pictures, because I'm not being sarcastic I'd love to learn from you and your creative ideas.

Chief_919

2 barrel carb (maybe 1 barrel?), factory manifolds, smog heads, cast iron anchor intake manifold. I'd say you have a whopping 165 hp there on a good day.
Yup.

That engine looks like whatever was laying in the junkyard closest.

Which is likely how this truck was built in the first place.

jjramrod

to all this may concearn

Still stuck on that motor I don't care about it as far as im concerned if its gas its junk but im getting 3k out of it so I don't care. That brings the total to 22k. Then I allready sold the bias tires for 500.00 so im down to 21,500. The 4bt motor I bought is in an aluminum Bread truck witch I will scrap and get close to or possibly more than I spent ill keep you guys updated on how that goes.

That being said back on topic. I have seen some with five speeds in them so ill figure it out. Id really like to know what tranny you guys prefer in a standard. Im not really a fan of automatic transmissions.

ryan77

This thread is a joke, I have a m1009 i can pull the 6.2 and put a 350 in it! It can be yours for $ 20,000........
:deadhorse:

jjramrod

wow ryan

This is no joke. Why is it so hard to believe? If you read enough on the net where some one actually traded two Rolls Royce cars for one h1 now that guy is nuts. The deal I made before this was nuts 10k for an Ifa w50 witch was from a member on here. Although I did not even know about this sight at the time. It had no title and no bed. Then after the purchase I saw one on here for less than 5k that was complete. So I have had my share of being screwed over but im actually happy with this purchase. Yes now I could of gotten a better deal but that was then and this is now. Can you guys just get over the fact that I spent 25k. He'll its not near as bad as these Chicks on tv that have 300k birthday parties. I've got something its mine and I know it will be awesome when its done.

ODdave

cheaper, Lighter and shorter. plenty strong and very close final drive ratio. Get one from a 4x4 chevy with the 241 t-case and you will gain selectable 4x4 and it will bolt up to your bread truck adapter.

jjramrod

I allways thought a nv4500 was a good tranny. But when I called a tranny shop they said a getrag was a heavier duty set up and I hate them. I've owned one nv4500 and I loved it. Untill it sheared the bolts between the transmission and transfer case and about caught fire. Put it back together (after i got it towed home) and drove it 3 miles. Then it lost all the gears but 3rd and shop said main shaft was stripped. I hope that's not a common occurrence.