• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning an LDS swap

jesusgatos

No, have to pull the old engine/trans out first and then am going to tow it down to have the bare rolling chassis sandblasted and painted (not going to remove the M109 box). THEN I'll bring it back and install the new engine. Just found a guy that's got a big Unimog and he agreed to help me tow it down there and back. Now I've just gotta coordinate schedules with the sandblaster/painter.

jesusgatos

Trying to coordinate a tow down to get the rig sandblasted and painted, then it will finally be time to reassemble. Has been virtually no progress in recent months, as can't really do anything until it's painted, and my sandblaster/painter has been jammed-up with other projects.

jesusgatos

I haven't had to order too many military-specific parts, so... who should I contact about purchasing gaskets and stuff? Am in CA right now, if there's anybody on the west coast, not that it really matters much I guess.

EDIT: Just talked to someone at Memphis Equipment and they were able to get me everything I need. Gentleman was real nice, and patient! Was asking a lot of dumb questions, about parts I'm not familiar with, and he answered them all with a great attitude. Appreciate that kind of service.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Going to pull the transmission and bellhousing off of the old engine right now. Got a new clutch for the swap, but am wondering if I can use any of the new 5-ton parts (flywheel, pressure-plate, etc.). Nevermind. Was obvious as soon as I pulled the transmission off the old engine.

The clutch fibers on the brand new clutch are about .415" thick, and the old clutch is .400" thick. Flywheel is being resurfaced right now, and the pressure-plate is in pretty good shape. Should I bother installing the new clutch when it seems like there's plenty of life left in the old one?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks