• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning an LDS swap

Clay James

That's the flame heater. The one on the engine is fine but you don't really need it unless you live in a cold climate. You'll also need to put in LDT plumbing for the oil pump because the pickup is in the back on the LDS and won't fit the short sump on the oil pump.

jesusgatos

Thanks gimp. Remember that thread, but didn't think to go back to look at it again. Does anybody have an extra oil pickup setup for the deuce that I could buy? Would just rather not have to open-up the old engine...

jesusgatos

Thanks. Just got all those parts ordered from Memphis. Would have just ordered them when I got the pan gasket, but that was before the engine hoist failed and now I'd rather not have to deal with pulling parts off the old engine.

jesusgatos

DONE with the engine-swap. At least the hard part. Big thanks to Kevin at Pacific Fabrication for letting be borrow one of their forklifts, and thanks for the hand today Brett.

Picked up that forklift this morning, lifted the new engine, dropped the oilpan and pulled off pickups for the 5-ton. But couldn't quite figure out how the 2.5-ton oil pickups were supposed to be installed, so dropped the oilpan on the old engine to take a look. Wanted to do that anyway to see what the extent of the damage was (engine hoist from A Tool Shed failed and dropped it). The oilpan was smashed-up and both of the oil pickups were damaged, but luckily that was it. Installed new oil pickups and oilpan gaskets. Used copper gasket spray and a little bit of RTV at the joints (multi-piece oilpan seal). Sealed it all up and dropped it into the chassis. Was an easy job with the right tools and a bit of help.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's always a good thing. It means your ability to recognize danger is still intact. :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The housing size is the same(from what I've seen 5 or 6 different pumps) but the out put is different(gpm and psi).

jesusgatos

Thanks. Yeah, know there are different outputs. Was thinking more about the external dimensions. Know it would have been helpful if I had access to some templates and mounting dimensions for things like this back before I had parts on-hand. Would have allowed me to do a lot of the work ahead of time.