• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-2009-First Annual Chehalis River Valley MV Convoy

AaronW

Come one! Come all! This thread is to announce the first annual Chehalis River Valley Military Vehicle Convoy and Camp Out.

When: 18-19 July 2009 (you have not much time to make plans!)

Where: Starting at Cabela's in Lacey, WA. Convoy to Napavine, WA via Elma/Montesano/Aberdeen/Raymond/Pe Ell. (Details below)

Who: Open to all MV operators and enthusiasts. We prefer that you have an MV to drive or ride in, but realize that everyone may not have full blown OD Fever. Feel free to fall in behind the convoy in a civvy ride or chase vehicle if you can handle the exhaust.

Why: We have alot of SS menbers and M715Zoners in Western WA/NW OR That need to get together and meet. And.......FUN!!

Organizers: AaronW(Aaron) and wsucougarx(Mike) Feel free to PM either one of us if you have a question.

Distance: Approx. 160 miles once you get to Lacey plus the trip home.

Details: I will add info as the date approaches.
Here is the plan as I envision it as of 4/20/09(7/12/09/0.......
-We will all meet up in the Cabela's parking lot around 1000 on Sat morning. AaronW will make contact with Cabela's prior to this, so we are covered.
-Photo op with all the rigs lined up. (Be sure to bring your own camera)
-Convoy assignments. It might be cool to announce the beginning and end of the convoy. Mike is already working on lights and banners. I thnk it would also be good to have coms between the lead truck and the tail. We might need a set of 2-ways for this. (anyone?) I hope we have a good mix of vehicles for this event. Please let Mike or I know if you have a slow speed requirement. I'm assuming we will all be able to maintain 50 mph at least on the level.
-Underway between 1045 and 1100. We will roll from Cabela's to I-5 south and merge onto HWY 101. Proceed west on 101 and merge into HWY 8 west. We will exit in Elma(first vehicle checks here?) and parallel the freeway toward Montesano. Roll quietly through historic downtown Montesano in order to say HI to all of wsucougarx's friends and neighbors! Hook up with HWY 12 West and on to Aberdeen where we will roll through the historic downtown. Doubling back, we will hit HWY 101 South to Raymond. I think Raymond might be a good place to stop for a picnic and rest. After lunch, we will roll through downtown Raymond and head east on HWY 6 towards Chehalis. In the small town of Pe Ell I thought we might stop for a breather and check out the small tank on display.(more pics?) Finally we have about 35-40 minutes of convoy left before reaching AaronW's place for a camp out if you desire to stay overnight. My place is about 2 miles west of Napavine, WA on HWY 603 for planning purposes. I have about 5 level and cleared acres off the road to park the rigs. I will provide a port-a-pot and hand wash station. I have an RV dump for anyone with a cool 109. I also have a shop with air tools and all basic repair equipment. For anyone coming from farther away, you are also welcome to stay on Friday night and follow me up to Olympia on I-5(about 35 min).
-I figure we will be able to have a campfire/cookout, mini swap meet, bench race session, and general good time. I only have two neighbors in shouting distance, so we have no regulations as to noise. If anyone is planning on bringing wives/kids/dogs...that is great! I a have one friendly lab and one understanding wife (she bought me the first deuce)
-Depart whenever you feel like it before August!

Did I leave anything out?

Thanks alot and see you all in Lacey, Aaron (My place is middle of image,ringed with trees.)

Attachments

Last edited:

AaronW

Dan, Does that mean I can count you in? haha j/k.....Mike and I just felt it was past time to put someting firm in print for a funrun/convoy. Plus, I will be the one supplying the 5 acre camp ground for Sat. night.

wsucougarx

Please perform your safety checks prior to meeting up at the rally point. Make sure you're good to go on fuel and make sure everything is strapped down.

Tentative Convoy Roster: Updated 17JUL09

AaronW......................Yes....... M35A2 w/trailer (x2)
Wsucougarx...............Yes....... M35A2C
Bigelk50......................No
DANMARTIN.................No
Rivired ....................Possible
BIGMIKE .................Possible
SRODOCKER...............Yes........ civvy
ABN173..................... Yes........ CUCV
MilitaryRestoration......No
RattleCan6104...........No
Quarkz.......................No
USMC Deuce CPL.......Yes..........M35A2
AN/ARC186.............Possible
Hammer.....................Yes.......... M818 w/trailer & M1009
Grounded...................Yes..........Civvy
Dma251.....................No
KURTKDS...................Yes...........M35A2 w/CONVOY LIGHTS
5_Ton_Tomatoe........Yes...........M35A2 & M1009 (M816 possible)
JINX...........................No
datsunoholic..............No
OD_Coyote................No
Amphi........................No...........will be at Aaron's later
Wiggall......................No
Josh..........................Yes..........M35A2
Canislupus................No
Coldfusion21.............Yes.........Civvy
Alex400.....................Yes.........Civvy
ODnorth.....................Yes.........M35A2 (From Canada!!!)

1st SF GRP................Yes..........M1008
SGM Garcia............Possible

PLEASE contact me or AaronW to get put on this list w/your ride.

Things needed:

"CONVOY AHEAD" sign for chase MV
"CONVOY FOLLOWS" sign for lead MV

Towbars w/safety chains (on standby)
Good idea for a few to have those Motorola type family walkie talkies w/ear buds for emergencies and what nots.

Pray for good weather!!!

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Probably would be a good time to unload some MV parts you don't want or pickup a couple MV parts you may need. So bring your good workable parts and cash as well. We can do a mini swap meet of sorts after the convoy on Aaron's property:wink:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who knows Highway 12 between yakima and napavine, as it relates to a 5 ton (813a1) pulling a 105A2 trailer? 4.5 hours by google maps from the East Side.

AaronW

Who knows Highway 12 between yakima and napavine, as it relates to a 5 ton (813a1) pulling a 105A2 trailer? 4.5 hours by google maps from the East Side.
Most of the way is just one lane in each direction. Just a few passing lanes. You won't be alone...the milk tankers with loaded trailers always make the climb at about 45 with flashers on.

MR should be able to give you some guidence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks