• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-2011-Third Annual Chehalis River Valley M/V Convoy&Campout

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ed,
On my trip home I started to master the Low 5th. Did it all the way up Snoqualmie Pass
And with out a deuce in front of me (Matt) I got some pretty good runs at the hills.
Lots of 65mph cruising on the flats. It is nice when you have to take your foot off of the accelerator because your doing over the posted 60mph speed limit (HWY 22).
Also I got an IP pump from Brad and he says I need to get it rebuilt to 350HP @ 2400rpm. So I will look into that along with some new 350 top stop injectors. Then....well let's just say Brad has lots of interesting ideas to explore.

Glad you made it back OK Matt. Did you transfer fuel a 2nd time, with the additional 6 hrs of travel?

Speaking of bad shifting, did anyone get pics of me climbing the 1st hill at the beginning of the 2nd half of the convoy?

I liked the 2nd half better than the 1st. I have seen plenty of pasture, but driving thru the tall rainforest pine was the best.

Thanx for leading us Ed.

Thanx to Rydel for riding on the wrong sides of the double yellow line and blocking the intersections.
And thanx to the Red Headed Stepchild for bringing up the rear....

Last edited:

Hammer

It took a high lift jack, pry bar (that is pretty crooked now, sorry Rob...) a bottle jack and a cheap ratchet strap got the dogbone back on and held together to make the trip home.
Funny, the one I broke last year STILL hasn't come loose, but that top dogbone didn't like to stay put with the abuse I gave it this year.

Tony, practice practice practice. I split it all the time, and it can really make a difference when it's needed.

Videos should be coming up in a little bit.

Hammer

Couple more vids, but youtube is taking forever to process them.

Edit: I will get this uploaded tomorrow, I had to go to yakima and back last night, and I am whooped!

Last edited:

Varyag

Now I have had a little time to rest.

That was a great trip. The rain gave the camp-out a little character at the beginning but it was just a good time.

At the end of the day me and Crystal calculated the mileage on the deuce to be 1005 miles. By far my longest trip in the deuce. I used 125 gallons of fuel and drove about the equivalent of a day and a half.

Thanks guys for making this so fun. I will be back next year.

hwcurtice

Now I have had a little time to rest.

That was a great trip. The rain gave the camp-out a little character at the beginning but it was just a good time.

At the end of the day me and Crystal calculated the mileage on the deuce to be 1005 miles. By far my longest trip in the deuce. I used 125 gallons of fuel and drove about the equivalent of a day and a half.

Thanks guys for making this so fun. I will be back next year.
That's funny. The email I got said 145 gallons...

So, 1005/145=6.93 mpg or
1005/125=8.04 mpg

Question. Does that influence the fun factor at all?

wsucougarx

I have a few pics yet to display. attempted last night but for some reason when I tried to attach then the computer couldn't find them. Need to troubleshoot to see whats going on.probably wont be until friday though when I get a day off.at last count I had about 129 pics

Varyag

On the way over refueling just for fun I was getting closer to 10 - 11 coming from Garfield to Tri Cities doing between 45 and 50.

90 gallons of that fuel was waste oil so I am really not worried about it. By the GPS, my speed from Yelm to MT vernon and then to Garfield was around 57 so I figure I was doing pretty good. I don't even want to know what me and Tony were doing on the way there... It was way faster and I had no way to accurately measure it. because of my bigger tires, 45 on the speedo is 52 on the GPS. I saw the speedo hit 56 at least once headed out with Tony.

The fun factor is definitely worth the cost.

Hammer

The fun factor is definitely worth the cost.
I think this describes MOST of what we are doing, and how we do it!

Btw, I get between 5 to 7 mpg with my 818. So you still got me beat, and I can't even run WMO (or that blasted 'mostly ATF' stuff .... )

Pictures

Not many and not very good:(

Ezra 6:1 Then King Darius issued a decree, and a search was made in the archives, where the treasures were stored in Babylon.

Attachments