• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

POS transmission

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bunch of NOS deuce transmissions came out a few years back. Check with John Winslow (252-883-2509) in Halifax, NC. He may have some. I bought a few NOS 5 ton transmissions from John over the past several years.

smoke

Hey when in doubt ask someone on here before you do something you are not sure of . We will always help. Must civil shop don't always know alot about MV. It is a learn exp and if avator is still true. You have alot of time to learn good or bad. One saying is " Sometime you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you" I think the Bear got you this time.

smoke

i just bought 2nd for 25 bucks.
It not 2nd gear that you need. It the main shaft that you will need. You said they milled down the shaft not enlarged the gear. The new 2nd gear will be the same inside diameter as the old one so it be just as sloppy as the old one that on it now. Just remember this time to cool down the shaft and warm up the gear it will slide on alot easier

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I think I would have just swapped in a different trans along with the rest of ya, don't get too down on someone thats willing to try something different! Call it a learning experience! I can't tell you how many times I learned things by doing "IT" wrong. Thats the best way for me to educate myself.

BOY, have I made a mistake or two...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local tranny shop said " thats suposed to spin free look at every other gear. it dosent make since that it would be pressed on." I just re read the TM and it says to press it on to the main shaft. Stupid tranny shop.
So they are the stupid ones... aha, really...?

Get THE tranny book: TM9-2520-246-34. Go to table 3-2 on page 59.
There you will find all size and fit dimensions / wear limits & tolerances for the mainshaft assembly... Line 19 shows L - P = 0.0035L to 0.0045L. That is 2nd gear I.D. less shaft journal diameter, min. and max. dims. respectively.

That in fact IS a loose fit; not snug, not tight, not pressed on!
And if there wasn't (at least) that much play the new gear would very soon weld to the shaft again!

Disassemble that MS and sure enough you will find what is wrong.

G.

Marlboro

need to help clear somethings up in above posts. main shafts gears do not git pressed on they should spin free if the are to all be pressed on the trans would stay locked up and u will have no gears. the countershaft gears should be pressed on tight no movement at all.

197thhhc

The young bucks like you are the future of our hobby. Dont get discouraged and soldier on. I honestly think mistakes and screwups are the only way I learn and retain anything. I think in the end you would be better off finding a good used unit. But you need to think about why this happened to begin with. Had you checked and or changed the trans fluid recently. These trucks arent like todays car, they have to be checked out and maintained constantly. I have someones deuce in my driveway now that will have to have the brake system completely rebuilt and the trans replaced because they just drove it. Good luck to you. Remember we are all here to help if you have questions. Ted[thumbzup]

Kalashnikov

I'm curious to know what this noise sounds like. All 3 of my MVs had a gear wine either at WOT in top gear or off the pedal rolling in gear, but I seem to recall it sometimes in other gears as well. I just figured these were noisy transmissions...Everything feels fine though and it's held up this long!

SMOKEWAGON66

Ive heard plenty of strange noises come out of my transmission. Most of them are harmless I think. The one that got me was when it started chirping like a bird at idle in neutral. It was my input shaft bearing letting go lol.