• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

POS transmission

sandcobra164

M35-tom or someone with a similar name has a fix for second gear welding along with a taller OverDrive for the trans. For second, he has a roller bearing that goes between the gear and the shaft. I've not ordered one of his kits but reading his posts about his research into the trans, he'd be the gentleman I'd be looking for. I'll be fortunate enough one day to purchase one of his kits and go through my trans and update the OD as well as go through the rest of it. Until then, I'll read here (or "search"), and attempt to educate myself.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Second gear broke and welded its self to the main shaft. So in order to put the new second gear on i had to get the mainshaft milled down alittle bit for it to spin freeley.
Why not replace the main shaft, turning it down does not help, to much play, may not seem like it but there is, to much clearance will cause noise, hard shifting

big hoss

before i couldnt even get 2nd gear on with out using a press. So i took it to a local machine shop and got it milled down just a smidge and it spins free with no slop

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you could have bought a used main shaft on this site, for about $50.

sandcobra164

well, with my limited knowledge and I hope M35-Tom reads this and chimes in words of wisdom. 2nd gear is the weak link in this trans which is why he goes to the trouble to install a roller bearing with the taller overdrive. The shaft going through 2nd spins pretty fast and even faster once the taller overdrive is installed. Your 2nd welded itself to the shaft and you had the shaft turned downsize, albeit, slightly. The tolerances for bearing surfaces are usually in the .0001 or thousands of an inch. Cut ever slightly too deep, the gear screams as it oscillates back and forth at a high rate of speed. If I've read correctly, that trans won't last long in it's current shape.

big hoss

The thing is that if i get a used one i might have the same problem. if i get a new tranny it wont be for a couple of months when i get enuff money.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
before i couldnt even get 2nd gear on with out using a press. So i took it to a local machine shop and got it milled down just a smidge and it spins free with no slop
Did not think 2nd gear was supposed to spin free, I may be wrong but was under the understanding that second GEAR was KEYED to the main shaft, and a sorta TIGHT fit on the shaft (hand tight)

smoke

Did not think 2nd gear was supposed to spin free, I may be wrong but was under the understanding that second GEAR was KEYED to the main shaft, and a sorta TIGHT fit on the shaft (hand tight)
I believe 73m819 is correct. I believe must gears are pressed on fitted in manual trans. If anything you should of put shaft in freezer and warmed up the gear some. That would of giving you enough clearance to get gear on the shaft. When everything went back to room temp it would of tightened back up on the shaft. 2nd gear is problemly slide back and forth on the keyway causing the noise. The local machine shop should of told you that it was a press fit gear and never milled it down. Just my2cents

big hoss

The local tranny shop said " thats suposed to spin free look at every other gear. it dosent make since that it would be pressed on." I just re read the TM and it says to press it on to the main shaft. Stupid tranny shop.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local tranny shop said " thats suposed to spin free look at every other gear. it dosent make since that it would be pressed on." I just re read the TM and it says to press it on to the main shaft. Stupid tranny shop.
No offense intended, but you are blaming the transmission shop and you only now re-read the TM to figure out what was what. When I once had a head gasket replaced on a deuce (when I first got into the hobby and knew nothing), I purchase the engine overhaul TM and provided it to the shop doing the head gasket. Everything worked out well. Your shop screwed up and you did, too. Now, it is going to cost you more. This is a learning experience and we have all been there.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Had to mill down, the old 2nd spun and welded itself to the main shaft, this alone should have told the op to replace it, bet the heat BLUED it, the shaft, down the road, would have died no matter what else was done to the trans.

You can not pin this on the trans shop, sorry to say ("just re read the TM and it says to press it on to the main shaft"), don't feel to bad, we ALL have been in the same boat one time or another, think you have learned a lot today and not just about trans either. :beer:

I just type slow

Coal Cracker

Ugggh, I'm shaking my head. Second is mildly pressed on the shaft, you'd have to freeze the shaft in the freezer,and mildly heat the gear, and quickly put them together, by turning down a smidge,,whats a smidge?,100 thousanth of an in. 2 0r 3 hundred thosandths. you probably just trashed your trans, now second gear and the shaft are toast, and the metal that has circulated, would make me wary. not to mention I wouldn't trust the second synchro now that the gear was out a smidge. I'd look for another trans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks