• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post your m37 pictures

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they all have the hole for the winch shaft , the winch could be added to a non winch truck if needed by the military . They had winch kits , heater kits , cold weather kits , hard tops , etc , all could be added in the field .

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking real good !, very nice . Now you can kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel ! LOL

ken mcculloch

Still got a ways to go but here we are as of last weekend (new shoes)

Have all the window, hood & fender rubber coming in the next few days from John @ MWM, so that will be the next project.Tires4.jpgTires5.jpg

Mayor Joe

Just finished (99%) my M37 (Air Force). Got two more I'm starting on now. The M43 next to it is mine also - restored last year. The trailer isn't period correct, but it's actually a fully stocked Chuck Wagon with grill and equipment to feed a small group. We use it for Picnics and other events - it's a big hit when we open it up.

9-21-13 Ropkey by JW (47).jpg2013-06-01 10.11.16.jpg2013-06-01 10.11.36.jpg2013-06-01 10.12.05.jpg2013-06-01 10.12.21.jpg

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the STRATA BLUE paint MAYOR JOE , what a nice restore . You do not see many AF M37's at all . I am toying with painting mine it's original strata blue color . When I purchased it , it was painted 24087 OD , come to find out it was a 1953 AF truck out of California . It came with the hard top , never was a soft top . I am so tempted to give a back it's proper BLUE color . bob k

Mayor Joe

Go for it Bob, you won't be disappointed. I did mine to honor two local AF Vets (hence the markings) also knowing as you said, you don't see many. I live near Chicago and another MVPA member has one also. We do about 25 - 30 events a year and I never see any AF vehicles. Thanks for the kind words. The AF M37 gets a lot of attention in parades - AF Vets and families seem to really appreciate seeing their service branch represented. M43 Ambulance was originally AF converted to Army, the M37 was Army now converted to AF (go figure). Anyway, looking for a WC53 project to restore in Navy to honor my father. My M35A2 is dedicated to my Father In Law.

Joe

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe , you do great work , I live outside Buffalo , so winter is upon us . The funny part is that before I realized my M37 was EX AF I purchased 2 gallons of 24087 OD , something else to sell at Aberdeen this spring , LOL . The other thing is my DATA plates were not the originals . What color is the frame on a Strata Blue M37 ? I would think black , and were the seat covers still OD ?

Mayor Joe

Bob - Thanks for the compliment. It's snowing here (south of Chicago). A group of us go to Aberdeen each year, so we'll see you there - and I might be the guy to buy that 24087. As far as your questions, I could not find any data (specs.) or photos of original AF, so regarding frame color, I did mine in black (wheels and steering box too). I used SEM which is a satin black rust converter. I REALLY like it because it works like POR15, but one step, cheaper and shoots like other paints. I also used it because I drive my trucks A LOT and wanted the protection. As far as the seats, since my truck has a soft top, I used od Canvas on the seats and the top. I think AF M37 had the hard tops like yours. The other AF M37 nearby did his in black vinyl, which looks good too (he has a hard top). I left the mirrors black and the handles of the pioneer tools are also black. Obviously, I strayed from Mil Spec here and there, but I'm not a purist, I like to find a happy medium between too close and too far from original. My deuce is painted WWII colors and markings in order to 'represent' the CCKW that my father in law would have had in his company. I use it to pull a trailer with one of my other trucks and it has an S250 radio shelter (camper) in the back - oh well, I guess that's stretching it a bit, but most seem to appreciate the effort, the respect for Vets and the general concept. Just having fun driving 'em too.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya Joe , your storm is headed our way . Pretty much that is the color combo I had in mind . I also like to use my MV's . I belong to the "Empire State West" MV club . I may take spot this at Aberdeen as I have lots of extra M37 parts I need to sell . I am not a purist either and like to use the vehicle also , besides it makes the Car Club guys crazy when we show up , we do not "FIT" in a category, usually always win something , LOL see you in Aberdeen , bob k

3dAngus

Really dumb question, I'm sure,...
But what is the purpose of all the Manila rope around the front bumpers?
And was there a specification for it?
I have a new 600' roll of pure Manila rope that is built to military specifications and 1" diameter that came with a couple of 4400 pound pullies. Would a 1" rope be appropriate for this unknown purpose?

chillywilly

Hello gentlemen ,new to the site. This is my M37 I picked up this summer , its mostly all there 54 Canadian model. It sat in the trees since 1983-84 (with a m43 air force ambulance) ,motor turns over and has compression
2-0DD248DD-853608-800.jpg2-1638E57E-1228039-800.jpg

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck looks to be good shape after sitting under the trees for almost 30 years! Looks like a nice truck to start a restoration on.

Good luck with your project, and post pictures as you make progress!

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks