• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering for the Deuce?

jesusgatos

There might be another option. Over on pirate we've been discussing the possibility of using something like a traditional power-steering box to operate a hydraulic cylinder (master) that would be connected with hydraulic 'steering linkage' to another hydraulic cylinder (slave) mounted on the axle. This would be a closed-loop system, completely independent of the power-side of the hydraulics. The primary advantage would be that if it works, you'd get something close to the benefits of mechanical steering linkage - without the linkage.

Heath_h49008

The hydro legality/safety has been beat to death..even just in this thread.

That drag link can be made from 2 tie rods and a link as well and be legal. (as well as adjustable)

Jesusgatos, love the engineering, but I think you're taking the long way around for no real benefit on the steering. But I'll still watch the build and rip off the idea if it's a good one! :wink:

I still need to find a pump/gear/etc, and reservoir. Box is sourced.

jesusgatos

For dot regs have to have a mechanical connection and the power steering box HF54043 you can add a hydraulic assist cyl to axle
Hydraulic assist with mechanical linkage is great if that meets your needs, but the stock steering linkage doesn't work for me, for reasons that I explained earlier in this thread (and others).

Jesusgatos, love the engineering, but I think you're taking the long way around for no real benefit on the steering. But I'll still watch the build and rip off the idea if it's a good one! :wink:

I still need to find a pump/gear/etc, and reservoir. Box is sourced.
Oh, but there are potential benefits! By maintaining something like mechanical linkage, but using hydraulics, we would effectively eliminate the 'wandering center' problem that we get with orbital valves and we'd get feedback too (depending on how we build/tune the system). And over-think things? Me? Naw...

jesusgatos

Oh, well yeah, I'd use that in conjunction with hydro-assist. In my case, I'd still use that 3" double-ended steering cylinder I got from PSC. Think we've figured out a pretty slick way to do this, but the guy I've been talking to about it is building a new Ultra4 racecar and has asked me not to share too many details until they debut their new car.

Heath_h49008

I was toying with the thought of a ram and an orbital valve timed to the steering gear and run off a spur gear/chain/other linkage. Stock gearbox in place, but the ram would take the load as long as it was functional.

I decided the HF54 was cheaper and less complicated...

jesusgatos

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's basically how a Sweet servo works. Spliced into the steering shaft and opens/closes hydraulic ports. Cheap/easy way to add hydro-assist to a vehicle with a manual steering box, and there are lots of other uses for them too.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the 2013 trail rides having the steering wheel taking from my hands twice and receiving a bad steering wheel burn on my right hand, rounding up the items i need to convert my M35A3 to the HF54 power steering. I will post pic's and info. as i go.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Steve, guess you forgot to mention that that happened to you even while having the original A3-air-assisted system operating normally...

G.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air-assiste system offered no hold back at all. I have gathered a lot of info. on your steering setup and looking for the HF542996 / PN#54050 / LN8000

jatonka

Gringeltaube's power steering is the nicest I've seen, and he did it way long time ago. But, if the air-o-matic is truly functioning correctly, you would have to be doing something insane at high speed to get a steering wheel whiplash in off road conditions. I don't sell these items or work for the company, but I have been using many of them at work for years and have no regrets. JT out

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Might I add my $0.02?

After seeing the failures the Morgans have had in their trucks on the trails. I've come to this conclusion. I would not run a power steering box with large tires. I mean that as no disrespect to what we've discussed here. But in the two failures I've seen from them, the steering linkage has failed. (Once sheering the output shaft off the box, the other sheering the bolts off the steering arm at the knuckle) It's my opinion that the "best" solution for a large tire/off road truck would be a stock steering box fitted with a servo on the column and a hyd. ram on the axle connecting the tie rod. This would eliminate the heavy stresses on the linkage. Course, this setup would require welding, more plumbing, and cost.

I believe if I ever do a "trail deuce". I'll opt for the system I described.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The selector shaft on the stock duece and haft is 1.312" diameter with grade 5 studs on the steering arm. The selector shaft on the power steering box 2.00". an increase of 152% and with ARP studs for the steering arm over double strenght. The setup you have selected does by pass these two areas and is a good choose, made by C&C equipment.

JasonS

Might I add my $0.02?

After seeing the failures the Morgans have had in their trucks on the trails. I've come to this conclusion. I would not run a power steering box with large tires. I mean that as no disrespect to what we've discussed here. But in the two failures I've seen from them, the steering linkage has failed. (Once sheering the output shaft off the box, the other sheering the bolts off the steering arm at the knuckle) It's my opinion that the "best" solution for a large tire/off road truck would be a stock steering box fitted with a servo on the column and a hyd. ram on the axle connecting the tie rod. This would eliminate the heavy stresses on the linkage. Course, this setup would require welding, more plumbing, and cost.

I believe if I ever do a "trail deuce". I'll opt for the system I described.
This can easily be done with a 4-port HF54 box and either mounting the slave cylinder to the axle/ tie rod or like the 5-tons do with a slave cylinder actuating the passenger side steering arm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks