• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Possibility?

welldigger

About to install air o matic on my truck. Good write up m16y. As for the torque valve, they can be had brand new from maradyne. They are still making the air o matic for the m35. They aren't cheap though. I would attempt a rebuild even if I failed before I bought a new one. My kit is n.o.s. So hopefully all will be ok with it. We will see.

offroadexpeditions

I need the power steering box which can operate the twin steering from two 2-1/2 steering axles. I assume that Ross HF54 box is the one from M800 series 5 ton trucks, used with the ram on the passenger side? Is it possible to use the box without the ram, and still have the true power steering? Thanks, Peter
I wanted a SAFE steering system at a low cost and looked at the OEM systems for guidance. Some things you won't find on OEM on-road trucks: full hydraulic steering, torque generators, steering servos, jam nuts, etc. There are already two good solutions: the HF54 and Tom's kit. IMHO, the rest are crap shortcuts. My generalization is that Tom's kit requires $$$, the ross system requires some work on the part of the installer/ owner. If you don't want to buy Tom's kit and instead want to do the ross box, you will have to scrounge the yards and make some custom parts. I bought a new box for $250 and a used one for $175 with pitman arm. I don't know what else to say other than look harder.

panzerwillie

I put a torque multiplier on my half track {OT-810} 2 weeks ago and i tell you no one could move the steering wheel with out it moving and applying the track brakes now you can turn it with one finger standing steal i am very impress not sure how if it is street legal but feels like my M52A2 use to feel...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem your going to run into is frame flexing and eventually cracking if you try to steer both axles with just the box.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I put a torque multiplier on my half track {OT-810} 2 weeks ago and i tell you no one could move the steering wheel with out it moving and applying the track brakes now you can turn it with one finger standing steal i am very impress not sure how if it is street legal but feels like my M52A2 use to feel...
how long do you really think it will be until the steering box fails, being so extremely overloaded?

panzerwillie

Well being that it only puts out 90lb torque and i taking that gear box apart and change all the bearings a few years back is very over kill that will never happen but thank you for your concerns ....

ivbeenrokd

I drove mine again today with the air assist for a couple of miles and around the parking lot. In the gravel I can steer easily with the palm of one hand while sitting still (took 2 strong arms before) and can steer on pavement with minimal effort. With the perches flipped it returns to center very well (thanks m35Tom) and with the system well oiled it turns nice and smooth (thanks Gimpy). All around I'm very pleased and hope it lasts forever like this. It does have a slightly looser feel driving down the road than it did before but I do have a higher center of gravity now that might be impacting that too.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does have a slightly looser feel driving down the road than it did before
I think this has to do with the small amount the drag link sensor moves in and out which will add a little play in the steering. Like you, I noticed a little looser feel on a stock truck.

bigtruck

Does anybody here have first hand experience driving a deuce with the torque generator option? Curious how much assistance it provides. Palm steering without truck in motion..? I'm running stock tires and don't plan on increasing tire size.

Streetgliderx

I have a char-Lynn power unit from an M farmall tractor, if it's not too stinkin huge I'm goin that route if it is I'm gonna get a smaller unit. Might go the 5 ton pump on the truck. Need to go research how to fit one of those

Streetgliderx

thanks tom i have a local who has a military grave yard, i may try and source him first but if i cant find one you will be my go to guy. i love your kit but my one concern is when i go 395s will that box on the outer frame hit?

jsthnt@gmail.com

The way I understand it, the torsion bar only controls the valving. The shaft goes straight through so even if the torsion bar broke you would still have manual control.

I'm seriously considering this setup (Woodward servo). I may need to start a new thread but I'd like to talk about some mounting options. I haven't really looked into it that close but I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount the servo to the stock steering shaft. The weld in couplers will come in handy but what's the best way to support the shaft after you cut a section out of it?
Did u ask if they would do a bolt on replacement? After all they are already working on other military trucks. It might be a nice side project for someone there.

rustystud

View attachment Scan0005.pdfView attachment Scan0006.pdf
Did u ask if they would do a bolt on replacement? After all they are already working on other military trucks. It might be a nice side project for someone there.
I just ordered the Woodward servo last week. I have a NOS pump assembly and reservoir, so now I need the ram and make-up some hoses. The guy at the tech line said I didn't need to secure the servo, just use welded sleeves on the shaft and then use their sleeve connectors. This will give you a solid shaft all the way through. The hoses themselves will keep the servo from spinning around. I'm gonna solidly mount the servo though for my own peace of mind. I'll post pictures when I start this project.

Last edited:

7bdiver

This is exactly what I was planning for my deuce, but my main roadblock is in the solid one-piece steering shaft. It's a 7/8 spline at the steering wheel. Thats pretty serious.

I had been looking at Sweet's steering servos. Very similar to the woodwards. The largest splines they have are 3/4". I'm worried that's not going to be strong enough. The last thing I need is the servo becoming the weak link in my steering shaft. Then have total steering failure!

Any opinions? If the steering assist goes out, do I risk breaking the 3/4" servo shafts muscling the steering wheel?

Considering scrapping this plan and doing a garrison drag link valve instead. Waaay easier, but i really dont like the flex lines in the wheel well.

I suppose the splines should at least be as strong as a 1/2" socket drive. Maybe thats good enough?

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Hmm, My M45-530 C TffT. Is fitted with the air assist Pack, And even with the truck full to the brim with water, And at a standstill I can Easily turn the steering either way to squeeze out of the shop on concrete.
And at shows or driving in confined places I do like to 'Impress' with that lovely 'SWASH SWISH' of the air release sound.
Oh, And I do have an additional air tank to have a much larger air supply reserve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks