• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project time once again Swiss's CUCV

zout

OK - just to be perfectly clear - I had 2 scuba Haz Mat breathing systems that needed re-certification on them anyhow - so when I was sanding this CARC this system was on me FULL TIME. When I blew out the garage it was ON - it had rained several times and washed it out the back which is into the power line area. When I spray I use a full breathing mask and take nothing for chance. Fans are on full blast in the garage to move air. Do not mess with this stuff whatever you sand or paint - IT WILL KILL YOU. You have not idea what may be in the surface of the paints on MV's anyhow or where they have been or contaminated with - take nothing for granted. I hate my picture taken so you will seldom see any of me. Besides - I am the only one working on them and I am not going to take a pic of myself.

When I was working on the M43B1 that had served in Nam - I had no idea what it was infected with that may be lingering - so every precaution was taken - do not think for a second it will not matter if you use the right precaution or not.

Do not take anything for granted or take your life in danger - Like Forest Gump - "that is all I have to say about that".

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody have a busted 1009 rear top that is good from the cab back about 6 inches or so? It needs to be in good shape in the whole front area where it mounts behind the main cab. I have an idea but need the front part of the rear roof to pull if off?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody have a busted 1009 rear top that is good from the cab back about 6 inches or so? It needs to be in good shape in the whole front area where it mounts behind the main cab. I have an idea but need the front part of the rear roof to pull if off?
Ah ye, reminds me of an M1009 I saw on Ebay. Why I didn't save pics I don't know. They cut the first few inches off the top and grafted it to the front of an S318 shelter. The 318 is smaller and lighter than the S250. They then carved out the front of the S318 and make a military version of the blazer chalet. It was super cool and they did a great job.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one. Getting ready to haul it to the dumpster

Skinny

OK - just to be perfectly clear - I had 2 scuba Haz Mat breathing systems that needed re-certification on them anyhow - so when I was sanding this CARC this system was on me FULL TIME. When I blew out the garage it was ON - it had rained several times and washed it out the back which is into the power line area. When I spray I use a full breathing mask and take nothing for chance. Fans are on full blast in the garage to move air. Do not mess with this stuff whatever you sand or paint - IT WILL KILL YOU. You have not idea what may be in the surface of the paints on MV's anyhow or where they have been or contaminated with - take nothing for granted. I hate my picture taken so you will seldom see any of me. Besides - I am the only one working on them and I am not going to take a pic of myself.

When I was working on the M43B1 that had served in Nam - I had no idea what it was infected with that may be lingering - so every precaution was taken - do not think for a second it will not matter if you use the right precaution or not.

Do not take anything for granted or take your life in danger - Like Forest Gump - "that is all I have to say about that".
So you are saying I shouldn't have hugged my M1031 when I got it???

That is something I never even thought of until now that the paint may have heavy contaminants and extreme caution should be taken when doing body work. Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have parts here and parts there, even Kenny has the arse end of a Suburban at his place.....

Between the 4 suburbans, 3 M1009s, 1 M54, 1 M35A2C and numerous spare parts, I can start my own parts depot. :mrgreen:

zout

Skinny - glad I provoked some thoughts.

Did you ever take an air blower to the underside of your dash and start blowing it out - blow out all those hidden area's in these trucks - you may be stirring up something that has not moved in them since it was in the sandpit or elsewhere - could have been used for testing ??? Not saying there is something in there - but I am not saying their might not be either.

The service personnel might have taken a water hose to the cab but that just settles somewhere else in these. Hugging it I guess would be fine - but personally I would clean it out protected till I knew I had everything out of it before digging too deep. Same as when I get the M909 home and start molesting it.

Now making a scratch & sniff out of it is a whole nother issue.

zout

I take for granted stuff I know how to do with the tools I learned to own over the years SOOOO.
If anyone looks under the M37 threads to see the M43B1 ambulance holes cut into the sides of the panels that the CROSS belonged in - this is how I did it. The In-Line sander I have is 18 inches and designed to cut
straight lines. The top curve and to the top is basically a straight line - therefore getting Duraglass or All Metal in there to get the base to adhere to the metal - from there it is a cover coat of surface coat to get the body
line straight. It does not matter what this cut coat looks like - it gets finished in fine surface coats from here on out - but the base has a rock solid adhesion to it.

The in line sander will level this overlaid coat out - then hit it with the DA sander then lay the final coats of a more purified bondo to it - the closer you get to a surface coating the finer you need to watch it.

The big dent above the passenger side popped out almost the entire area - there are several dents left around this area - but I will get that tomorrow besides cutting that chincy arse antenna out of the roof - nothing but an attraction for
rust sooner or later.

I did some sanding on the hood - but POY - I am not showing you.
Photo2290.jpgPhoto2291.jpgPhoto2292.jpgPhoto2293.jpgPhoto2294.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to have to back charge Ron for the roof repairs caused by his skull denting my roof. D..n he is hard headed

zout

SOOOOOO - some knucklehead owner calls me while I am on the job trying to get HIS CUCV done - calling me on the phone to chat while I have work to do ?????? DUH

Now that ya wasted my time a tad bit I did not get as far as I could have - CAUSE ya wanted to chat with me.
Amazes me folks see what ya can do - but when it comes to their truck they need affirmation you can do it - no wonder why GOD just forgets about folks sometimes - HEY GOD - if you are STILL there and you show me again your there I will believe in you - DUH - where did ya think he went - he has been here before the beginning of TIME -

I am not comparing myself to my boss is - but
Here are some pics - have a tad bit more to do to the top since someone wanted to chat on the phone with me
Photo2295.jpgPhoto2296.jpgPhoto2297.jpgPhoto2298.jpgPhoto2299.jpgPhoto2300.jpgPhoto2301.jpgPhoto2302.jpgPhoto2303.jpghood is only started to sand for Warthog so I do not enter the BAN zone - keep watch as you will see these areas all come together smooth as a babies butt. As far as the cab top - a little more work to do to get it where I want - OH HOLD ON SWISS IS CALLING ME AGAIN :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your killing me.

In terms of enlightenment, look to the light around the top of the bud can!

D..m that hook looks good.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks