• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project time once again Swiss's CUCV

zout

Exactly Adam - they are called POT systems - you get all your paint mixed and put em in the pots and mix them some more so all of it is ONE color. BUT when you mix paint there is a controlled mix to consider - one part A - one part B - etc etc etc - it all should come out the same - and more critical when you manufacture or sublet out to a mixer your product. Still all POOP to me. The other stuff from TM I shot on PB's was a top notch product and PB would have to tell you how that surface all looks because I am prejudice.

ANYHOW - CUCV all wet sanded with 320 - then with 600 to the full truck and to the topper tonight already. Truck and Topper is all surface wiped down as well leaving only tacking it off before spraying it tomorrow. Yes - I got home at 4:20 and its now 6:19 typing this. Wanna have some fun come visit me anytime.
Sitting here waiting on the paint delivery - the more time pass's working on the M909 so I can finally take the grandson squirrels out camping gets more inviting by the second. WE ARE going camping before they get back in school.
Photo2461.jpgPhoto2462.jpgPhoto2463.jpgPhoto2464.jpgPhoto2466.jpgPhoto2468.jpgPhoto2469.jpgPhoto2470.jpgPhoto2471.jpg ticks me off the massive smoke off the grinder did not even show up - anyhow Swiss destroyed it and he told me he would take the blame but not be responsible for it cause I told him it was ok to use it.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One letter posts do not count toward post counts Swiss.
Testing that hypothesis 1 letter or number posts do increase your post count! I was typing on the phone and must have forgot a few sentances.

Commander did we get the package today? What do you mean by the responsibility post? I was walking out the door with the grinder in hand to get a new one and got tackled to the ground as it was wrestled from my dirt stained hands :)

The dual handles allow for quick hand-off, there is no down time allowed in the work zone.

zout

New paint mix is here that Swiss confirmed and if its not brown enough I am taking a poop in it is all I gotta tell ya - SPRAY DAY TOMORROW poopie or not

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New paint mix is here that Swiss confirmed and if its not brown enough I am taking a poop in it is all I gotta tell ya - SPRAY DAY TOMORROW poopie or not
I guess I won't be finishing the grinding then :(

Ordered a complete seal kit for the vehicle today. It is on a certain e site. Once it comes in I will take some pictures and give a review on the quality/etc.

Whatzzzz Up with the beer cans all over my new paint job :beer:

zout

OH - forgot to tell ya - I told the 4 squirrels they could crush all the cans for the $$$$$$$ cha ching - I tapped the crusher into the side of the CUCV seeing how its just sittin there anyhow wasting garage space. What do you mean by the responsibility post? I have no clue what that means - maybe an off day for me ?? jibberish??? blah blah blah like some of my posts - no clue.

zout

OK - for those that are reading this and have wondered WTH was up with the paint issue I had- now you will know and the end results as of now including pics - I will try my hardest to be nice and tactful

Paint first sent - can was contaminated with rust - we had to churn the bottom 2 inches of the product up before you could even think about putting a power paddle into it.
Once to consistancy - its catalyst per instructions and its reducer - it shot like horse crap - it kept leaving tiger stripes and heavy granuals on the surface just as if you had too much air and or not overlapping properly (that was not the issue)
SO - the first batch when first shot turned from light green to final on the 3rd coat to brown as it should have been - yet leaving tiger stripes even tho the spray pattern was NOT shot that way.

Swiss contacted the MFG and dicscussed with them - they pulled another batch - shoot the living crap out of it stirring it - screening it - put it in new cans and sent it.
When this was shot on the topper - it was yet another color and tiger stripped as well - again - total POOP.
Lastly I mixed my concoction up with this POOP - sprayed it with the gun shown in the pics and it trashed the gun (this is a gun nearing the $600 figure BTW). I did get it warrantied just because.

Swiss took the POOP gallon can down to Matrix Systems and had a batch mixed and they also sprayed the POOP out of the first can and called me and wanted to know where this chit came from - it did the same thing to them and these
fellas are former PPQ chemists and the guy who owns this dist center owns 11 high end body shops.
The first batch was too green for Swiss when it was delivered so he took it back down which is totally in line to get what he wants as an end result. This was recalibrated to what HE requested - Matrix fella dropped it off to my vendor whom dropped it off to me last night. I do not own a business doing this and just a peon - and these folks all go out of their way to help - its just the kind of folks I deal with and they know what I can do.

I just finished spraying while Swiss has my 4 squirrels out on the lake with his boat along with my son - whom I forwarded pics to when I shot this stuff. Judge for yourself.
Photo2472.jpgPhoto2473.jpgPhoto2474.jpgPhoto2475.jpgPhoto2476.jpgPhoto2477.jpgPhoto2478.jpgPhoto2479.jpgPhoto2480.jpgPhoto2481.jpg

zout

I will add one more thing. The paint came originally from TM Ordinance - the same folks where PB got the paint to shoot his WC - it is excellent paint for what we got for his. The only thing about this WW2 German paint is - hardly anyone shoots it. I am sure they want product available when ordered - it just sat so long and the mix was really crude. For only this type of paint I would say stay away from it and get it mixed the same as we did to get a current up to date product - the remainder of what we have shot previous to this has been an excellent product to shoot - just thought I would toss this in now that I have calmed down after this total fiasco.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Omg lunch break, how awesome!!! My only regret is I am playing and not standing next to the truck checking things out

zout

This is pretty much going to be the end of my posting on any further work of the CUCV - seems folks want the cheapest way out or hack the chit of the trucks with the cheapest fix possible just so they say they have an MV - when they cannot afford doing what it takes to maintain then leaving their chit work to those that want to do it right later on. Does not matter to me but this is a total waste of my time to help doing it right. HO RAY BEHR paint or rattle cans. Mods can close this thread as I am done posting build chit.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got the interior done today. Commander Warp could not sleep last night so he must have been up at 0600 as he had finished repairing all the FUBR fiberglass that the previous owner had slapped in very poorly to cover up some rust. I can see why Commander Z is adament about alot of things in his posts, cleaning up somebody elses mess is no fun and normally creates a ton of more work.

The previous owner had painted perfectly good door panels with rustoleum black paint that does not stick to plastic. As such I was left with a mess and spent the whole afternoon soaking these in brake fluid to eat off the paint. After 3 wash downs I still have a mess but it is about 80% clean.

The paint color looks fabulous now. We had a hard time trying to get work done and let well enough alone and let the paint harden.

I have to move around other pictures of the exterior and interior before posting.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks