• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 1943 Ford GPW

dmetalmiki

Nice pictures, and huge restoration job. You deserve a win there. My three jeeps are all original in every detailto WW.11. but quite rare over here as my oldest companion (1942 jeep) I owned since 1958! ( it is still as the U.S. Army sold it off after the conflict.)has the P.T.O. and pully to drive the generator that used to sit between the front seats. That shaft carries on out and powers a garwood underfloor winch with 300 feet of very useful steel wire rope. out of the rear. It has proved to be absalutely a nescessity in past times. My other jeep 1943 is a ground up stateside renovation with beechwood canvasses and overdive, a delight to drive. Having six equally space gears in hi and low. 2 in reverse hi and low.
My other jeep looks WW11 in detail but has a 4.5 ltr flathead engine circa 1942/3/ goes exremely well and sounds fabulous.
I am following you progress with great interest and look forward to seeing the finished work.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your comments. I sure do envy the stable of jeeps that you have. It must be a real joy to run around in those.

This restoration began a long while back. I just delayed posting pictures so there would be no lengthy gap during the progress. When finished this jeep will look as it did in 1943 with the exception of the turn signal lights and mini brake lights that I installed as unobtrusive as possible. There is also the overdrive lever between the shift and transfer case levers. There are also twin exhaust tips out the back.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost at the point of finishing the frame. The exhaust went in a lot easier then I thought but the passenger pipe is real close to the xfer case filler plug. Makes filling the xfer case a little tricky.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few more picture before beginning work on the body parts and tub

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loads of body tub work. Welding holes, replace hat channel repair, large dents, etc.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Prospector GM

My wife and I were in Bishop on December 2015, and stopped in at Torisco and seen him and his wife:smile:. Check out his 1943 ford GPW along with their other MVs, I must say my hats off to him and his wife, for a great job:goodjob: they are doing on the GPW. Also had good time visting and shooting the bull.:D:D :driver::driver:

68t

looking great. I like the ww 2 vehicles; so keep up the good work. I got 3 halftracks, ww2 5ton semi, and plenty of work to do.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife and I were in Bishop on December 2015, and stopped in at Torisco and seen him and his wife:smile:. Check out his 1943 ford GPW along with their other MVs, I must say my hats off to him and his wife, for a great job:goodjob: they are doing on the GPW. Also had good time visting and shooting the bull.:D:D :driver::driver:

Prospector GM is one of those people that makes you feel great to be able to call him your friend.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looking great. I like the ww 2 vehicles; so keep up the good work. I got 3 halftracks, ww2 5ton semi, and plenty of work to do.
Thanks for the remarks...

Best of luck on your group of M.V.'s the work can sometimes be hard but it is also rewarding and fun to do. Send in some pictures of the work you do on your vehicles. Would love to see them.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will note that I used aluminum channel instead of wood under the hat channel of both fenders.
It will outlast the wood and still has the flexibility that the solid oak wood pieces gave to the fenders.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the hood repairs. Needed weld repairs of the hat channel on both sides along with a few spot welds for unneeded holes and small cracks. The hinge also needed a weld where it was cracked.

I added a rain shield that goes under the hinge to prevent water from going directly onto the engine.
It channels the water to both sides of the body. (Can be seen in later pictures

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks