• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometers

baxter

Hey Robb if you would post the # that would be helpfull. I tried to order an Autometer pyro from NAPA but couldnt find a mechanical gauge with a bulb that I could change to 24v.
I'm not trying to hijack but if anyone has info on autometer that would help also.

Vaughn

Condec

Hi you guys, just a hint about Pyros--- I use ISSPRO Pyros with the R660-10 lead wire and R650 thermo couple and a TS 456 24V bulb. in all my trucks, They come in single bank or dual needle faces. I know the Del Hewitt pyros are very good also ,They used to be from the west coast (Portland I think) I know that if my exhaust temp goes over 900 degrees I am lugging the engine or she is starving for air(back-pressure from exhaust) or air filter is slowly plugging up, I found that too much exhaust heat resulted in engine head problems, Maybe Im wrong but this is what I found over the years

steelandcanvas

The Hewitt instruments, are they from Performance Monitoring? Decent prices, but I'm not sure what to order for the Deuce. Just got a "D" turbo today, and would like to install a Pyro, EGT, and Oil Temp gauges. The site said gauges also come with 24 VDC illumination.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry I forgot to post the number! I am working on getting it posted as we speak(sending a PM to another member). Pistons and turbo fan blades melt around 1250-1300.

Camoclad

pyrometer

I used a stewart warner 3 " gauge and an aviation thermocouple that my buddy got for me for free. gauge was 45$ on fleabay. You can use the same light bulbs as the dash bulbs. I just spliced into the closest bulb on the instrument panel and ran the ground to one of the data plate screws on my dash. used ss hose clamp to mount on steering column. Saturn surplus has bulbs for 1$ ea. My truck idles just below 300. No way of verifying that temp is accurate I just keep my truck at about 1000 max. Have a cheapo chinese made autometer boost gauge that will be changed soon to SW. That shows about 13-15 psi boost @ wot with brand new c turbo. initial was about 8 psi before increasing injector pump.

Armada

I used the Hewitt gages also. They were great to work with. The guy I talked to way back when said they had never had a deuce application before. I gave him the temp and boost ranges and he figured out the best gauges for the ranges given. I used 2 thermocouples for the EGT gauge. The only power needed for them is for illumination. They even supplied the 24v bulbs. I highly recommend them.

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a resistor in series with the 12V lamp's power lead. I do not recall the value. It works fine. Find the lamp type, then the voltage and current.

1. multiply the voltage by the current. then double it. That, (or no less than 75% of that), is the safe wattage rating for the resistor.

2. divide the voltage by the current. this is the required resistance in Ohms. Use the next higher standard value.

place selected resistor in series with lamp + lead to 24v source. Mount so resistor body, which will become as warm as the lamp itself, does not melt anything.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I used the Hewitt gages also. They were great to work with. The guy I talked to way back when said they had never had a deuce application before. I gave him the temp and boost ranges and he figured out the best gauges for the ranges given. I used 2 thermocouples for the EGT gauge. The only power needed for them is for illumination. They even supplied the 24v bulbs. I highly recommend them.
What are the correct temp and boost ranges?

steelandcanvas

I will install all the Hewitt gear and get a baseline of results, then install the SW gauge and see if there is a big temp change. If not I will run the SW gauge with the Hewitt probes and wires on my other trucks. Hewitt
How are you doing on this, Gimp? I'm really close to buying a Boost and EGT gauges, and was curious about your results.

gimpyrobb

If things go right, I may have the truck fired up in 2 weeks. I have to empty and scrub the fuel tank and get a boot to adapt the 5ton fender air filter to the turbo intake. Things are a little slow, but I'd rather do the individual things right. This weekend I have to visit family in the hospital which is a little higher on the priority scale. I have looked over the parts from Hewit, and they look good. Their pyro gauge is a closer match to the original stuff, so that one will go in the 53 wrecker. I like the SW gauges for ease of readability and they are color coded. I will post up once we are running.

gimpyrobb

Got the truck fired up this past weekend. I will get a mount for the gauge and let everyone know something soon. I will have to register it and go for a shake down run.

gimpyrobb

I have tested the Hewit probe and SW gauge, they work great! I have not used the Hewit gauge to see if there is any skewed temp readings yet, time is still short. I will get round-tewit soon. I suggest this addition to anyone thinking of changing the pump settings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks