• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometers

DieselBob

You should be fine. If you want to hedge your bets you could use a magnet to magnetize the drill bit just like a screw driver. Just a thought.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is not necessary to have the motor running. If your worried about it, you can have it running, or dip the drill bit in some grease. The grease will catch the metal bits. Its not a snow flake, so don't over think it.

rustystud

It is not necessary to have the motor running. If your worried about it, you can have it running, or dip the drill bit in some grease. The grease will catch the metal bits. Its not a snow flake, so don't over think it.
Cast-iron drills differently then steel. You will not get the long curly-cuews like you do with steel. It comes out more like a powder. So if you drill until your almost through, then start your engine you will be fine. Just be sure to wear goggles as the cast-iron dust will be blown into your face !

DavidWymore

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one cause that's what we should do, anyway, I'm installing 2 pyros on a friend's truck right now, I already know where and how to do the one after the turbo. But, I want to hear from you on where to put the pyro before the turbo, back 1/3 of the exhust manifold or front 1/3 or try for the center section, the manifold is off the truck and the turbo is off the manifold so I am not worried about drill or tap chips, just best location from some of you who have done it and are happy with results. JT out
What is the temp difference pre and post turbo?

Katavic918

The only thing that makes me nervous about installing a pyrometer is drilling into the manifold before the turbo. It seems that's what most people here have done. In my mind I know that if the engine is running, there is little to no chance of dropping chips into the turbo. But if some do fall into the turbo it shouldn't cause any major problems right? I'm guessing they would just get blown out the other side. I have one on the way so I guess I'll have to find out soon enough. Also, should I keep the idle turned up while doing this? Thanks.
Got her all back together. Ended up removing my turbo anyway. Replaced the gaskets and oil return when I put it back together. It's nice to know how hot I'm getting now. I'm not sure how high my boost will go but It will quickly spool up to 15psi which is where I let off. Taking it easy on a grade will get my egt up to about 1150. Ill probably be turning my fuel back down a bit.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've drilled several with the engine running. With the amount of air force that comes out the hole, I couldn't imagine anything not getting blown out.

As Rusty said, cast iron chips are pretty small. even if one or two get sucked into the turbo, I doubt it would hurt anything.

Katavic918

After having done it I agree that it would have been fine to do while assembled and running. I'm just overly cautious until I fully understand something.

profo

My deuce will run 900 towing my dozer on the trailer it weights about 22k lbs other than that about 600-800 also my truck is bobbed and fuel is turned up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice install, but man those look like they have tiny print! Can you read them while bouncing down the road? I mounted my pyro on the steering column.

What pto do you have? Whats it run?

Ratchetop

Nice install, but man those look like they have tiny print! Can you read them while bouncing down the road? I mounted my pyro on the steering column.

What pto do you have? Whats it run?
The pto switch is for the transfer case. It was a sprag style and I installed an air actuated case so I used that to lock it in. The gauges are a little hard to see, didn't realize that until it was to late but none the less I just needed to know EGTs with the 5th gear mod. The red light is just a power indicator. There was a hole there and the light fit so in it went. Thanks on the install.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks