• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quantity of grease in front axle

frioman

First, yes...let me state the obligatory "I have searched and I've read the TMs", but I still can't find out whether or not I just keep pumping grease into the front wheel grease fitting indicated on the attached photo until I see grease coming out of somewhere? I realize you pump most grease fittings with grease till you see grease escaping, but not sure about this. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Picture2.jpg

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Take out BOTH plugs "L", put a grease fitting in one, pump in grease till it comes out the other L hole, as far as "K" goes, you will see grease come out after about 1/2 dozen pumps, unless it is dry, then a few more will be needed.

frioman

Take out BOTH plugs "L", put a grease fitting in one, pump in grease till it comes out the other L hole, as far as "K" goes, you will see grease come out after about 1/2 dozen pumps, unless it is dry, then a few more will be needed.
Thank you for the quick reply.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some place I read about 4lbs of grease each side. I do not use that much, I the 4lbs is to keep out water.
I remove the plugs and just pump it in with out using a grease fitting.

frioman

Some place I read about 4lbs of grease each side. I do not use that much, I the 4lbs is to keep out water.
I remove the plugs and just pump it in with out using a grease fitting.
I appreciate y'all's input, but are your replies based on personal experience, or did you read this somewhere like a TM? I ask because I looked for quite a while. I may have missed it. Also, it seems like I could pump grease into K until I see it oozing out, but that was the basis of my original question.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I appreciate y'all's input, but are your replies based on personal experience, or did you read this somewhere like a TM? I ask because I looked for quite a while. I may have missed it. Also, it seems like I could pump grease into K until I see it oozing out, but that was the basis of my original question.

Yes

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've replaced a boot for exactly the question you're asking (I filled it up with too much grease). Remove the plugs, otherwise you'll blow out the boot with grease. When I bought my 817 two years ago, I went around the whole truck with a grease gun (without reading the TM)....and made this mistake. Excellent question.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I did read it someplace in the TM's, But it was some time back. It may of been about the M809 trucks.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes I did read it someplace in the TM's, But it was some time back. It may of been about the M809 trucks.
All three 5t series service the front end the same as far greasing goes, (the 939 greases the brake actuator)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still don't agree about putting grease in the knuckles inless you have the Timken ball and seat style axles. I have the newer U joint in all of my trucks and how in the world would grease ever get into a spinning U joint please tell me.

Artisan

If you open up "L" , then jack up one wheel so it is off the ground
can you spin thngs till you see a real grease zert? then use a needle end
to grease the joint?

DIndFab

I still don't agree about putting grease in the knuckles inless you have the Timken ball and seat style axles. I have the newer U joint in all of my trucks and how in the world would grease ever get into a spinning U joint please tell me.
I guess in the case of sealed bearing and u joints it would help keep water and moisture out by simply keeping a coating over the assembly, but I agree, it's a sealed ujoint so nothing is supposed to get it.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Grease boots Deuce and 5 ton too

First, yes...let me state the obligatory "I have searched and I've read the TMs", but I still can't find out whether or not I just keep pumping grease into the front wheel grease fitting indicated on the attached photo until I see grease coming out of somewhere? I realize you pump most grease fittings with grease till you see grease escaping, but not sure about this. Thanks for any help you can provide.
View attachment 486582
Frioman did good with this question. Read on. I am learning that the 1/4" hex driven plugs that should be removed were fastened last time by Godzilla.

It was just yesterday I was looking at those plugs and took pictures meaning to ask SS what that was about. I need to grease the truck without breaking anything. Don't want to fail my boots. Frioman asked good question, Thanks

LO 9-2320-272-12 card 19 of 33 is picture

Deuce LO 9-2320-209-12-1 page 22 of 34 shows letters N+P for same thing as K+L on the 5 ton
Then in LO 9-2320-209-12-1 page 7 of 34 it has a disclaimer to go to note 11 (about the letters N;O;P) as to putting the GAA into the front wheel steering knuckle bearings and universal joint. It says take both plugs out and fill until it comes out the other hole, doesn't say how, someone was supposed to teach me that.
Have to make air tanks too.

grease L hole no zerk.jpg

and pictures for the General
grease truck.jpg

air tanks.jpg

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess in the case of sealed bearing and u joints it would help keep water and moisture out by simply keeping a coating over the assembly, but I agree, it's a sealed ujoint so nothing is supposed to get it.
If that grease is ment to get to the spindle bushing I could try and understand. I believe if you are trying to get the spindle bushing greased then when you service the front end put a good amount inside of the spindle before install. Every truck I have serviced there is a mound of grease coating the walls of the spindle but nothing on the Ujoint. Also if you keep the inside of the knuckles clean and if you go swimming you can drop out one of the four bottom bolts that hold on the bushing retainer for the knuckle and drain out almost all the water. I believe they switched to the Ujoint in the early 70's but not real shure.

Post #12 don't think your going to see anything up there Artisan unless we smoke the good stuff.

Last edited:

frioman

So the safe action appears to be open "L", and pump grease into "K" until grease begins oozing out of "L". I hope I didn't already do damage to my M923 A1 by pumping grease into "K" without having "L" open. If anyone disagrees with this please let me/us know. Thanks as always.

frioman

Thanks Floridianson, I'm working today and can't get to my truck; hence, your statement helps put me at ease today and keeps me from wondering all day.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NEED to open BOTH "L" one for the fitting, the other so grease will come out when full.

My m819 does NOT have u-joints, at least on the left side.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pump the grease through the zerk fittings to push out the old grease from the kingpin bushings; the plugs are opened so you don't blow out the boot.