• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about register M35 in VA

hoop

OK calm down.
Take a deep breath.

No need to flame him on here. He has a business to run....
I have bought from him several times. And he always ships fast and the price is the price.
Accept that.
There are usually "Deals" out there so just look for them.

Redneckbmxer24

Yes but the prices he quoted me over the phone for mirrors that were on his site for $15 each he quoted $50 each over the phone. I'm not looking for the best deal, I would happily pay a little extra to get parts from a reputable company that has good customer service, but I'm not going to pay over 3X more than they have it listed on their site own for. I wasn't trying to flame the guy, I was just asking if anybody else had a similar experience. I'm new to this and don't know the vendors and how they operate.

Another member PMed me a place to check out and they have brand new mirror brackets for $95 each, and the round mirrors for $25 each so I'll go that route. He was great to talk to and didn't give me that "I don't HAVE to sell this" feeling.

I'm in the process of selling a muzzleloader and a Swarovski scope and then I'll have the cash to go pick up the deuce. After that the first thing I'm going to buy will be the mirror brackets and round mirrors, then I'll probably pick up the troop carrier sides, top and all that stuff. The guy I'm getting the deuce from offered me it for $500 extra but I'm not sure if he's willing to wait a week or two after I buy the deuce to sell them. If not I know the guy in Annapolis has them for $500 for everything aswell. I also want a M105 trailer and a generator setup but that will have to wait.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in MD you MUST enter weigh stations if your vehicle is registered, rated or actually weighs 10,001 pounds or more. Once you get there, you are exempted from most of the DOT inspection rules if you are not a commercial carrier, or if the vehicle is not used in the furtherance of a commercial venture. If you are overweight however, you are still subject to the STATE laws governing weights and measures.

If you are not a commercial vehicle, or not operating the vehicle in the furtherance of a commercial venture, then you do NOT need an IFTA decal or IRP apportioned registration.

Having said this, check with your local and state ordnances and laws to ascertain if anything differs. Your mileage may vary....

Redneckbmxer24

Yeah I'm going to pass through the weigh stations from now on just to cover my butt even in my F250. It seems like its a real grey area here in VA, but better to be safe than sorry. I've always wanted to pass through them but I've always worried I'd get in trouble for going through if I wasn't commercial.

I did hear back from another state trooper I know that works out of the braddock station that also works with DOT officers and he said he talked to one of them and he said technically all vehicles besides RV's over 7500LBS GVW had to stop but he said the DOT doesn't enforce it at all. He said they're looking for box trucks and commercial vehicles. He said even if a 3/4 ton truck was going down the highway passed a weigh station with a trailer and a heavy load they still would never go after it. He also said this wasn't up to the individual officer he said it's what their superiors tell them to do.

He said if you cruise passed in a deuce though even if there was no load, if they see a license plate and know it isn't military there's a chance they may come out after you but most likely they would just smile and carry on their with day. He said just cruise on through the station and 9 times out of 10 they would just wave you through without weighing especially if they see antique or farm use tags and no load.

micmccon

Hey all, I said I would try to do some reserch on the inspection rules for deuces and such and get back to you, so here it is. LIS > Administrative Code
You can read through it at your leisure and reserch what you want. It's not light reading. If you are still confused by a reg, the only help I can offer is to ask a trooper for clarification.:beer:

HeadWizard

I've been off the site for a little while so I haven't been reading or posting. He's my 2cents2cents wanted or not.

First off, no reason to flame or get in urination contests...especially between newbies and old timers. We're all here to help each other.

Second, contrary to the thoughts presented in this post there are quite a few of us in VA. I keep most of my MV obsession of trucks in Chantilly at work. Also, there are a few others who have trucks for sale locally. I've sold a decent amount of deuces, 5 tons, trailers, generators and CUCV's over the last several years.

The VA code says what it says but that doesn't mean that it's enforced. I've driven or tow- barred at least 25 deuces and 5 tons out of Richmond, Ft. Meade, Mechanicsburg, Ft. Indiantown Gap, Chambersburg, Butner, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Ft. Lee and Camp Lejeune. I have never stopped at a weigh station nor have I ever been stopped by a LEO - in fact I've never passed one who did not wave. Am I lucky...maybe. I also have had my deuces and 5 tons registered as antique with no ill consequences, taxes or state inspection - even though I am a VA Safety Inspector.

Any of you are welcome to come by and look at / drive the trucks I own just so you can familiarize yourself with them before you go out and buy one somewhere. NO this is not an ad, it's an offer to help. I'm also willing to help and go check out trucks for people as time permits.

I do recommend that anyone buying one off a private individual or dealer insist on a title. It makes life so much easier.

PM me, email me or call me at your convenience.

Don
five seven one 436-58 zero zero
:beer:

vajeeper

HeadWizard,

Is your offer to view your m35s still open? I just found (and subsequently registered) this forum and thread. I've been wanting to get an m35/m813 and trying to get as much information as I possibly can. I'm out by you in Oakton and would love to stop by some time.

Thanks!

Redneckbmxer24

I'd suggest giving Don a call. He had a few vehicles up for grabs when I talked to him. I'm buying my M35 from another member but as soon as my cobra sells I'm probably going to pick up a M818 from him.

micmccon

BTW, I went out and met Cevon (decodeme) at his home in Md. I almost bought a nice m35a2 from him. I passed on it only because it was pricey as a toy and wouldn't be well suited for doing what i had envisioned (plowing snow) in close quarters for long periods of time. I have nothing negative to say about him and he seems pretty straight foreward about his vehicles. I would gladly have given him the $500 for a title. The truck I looked at was a 1987 Airforce truck with 3,600 miles and 400 hours. Hard top, drop bed sides, heater. It does need a starter. Otherwise, ran well and not very rusty!

Redneckbmxer24

So are you not going to be buying one? I paid for mine yesterday and got the title. I'm headed to DMV select in the morning to do the title and tag paperwork and then out to warrenton to pick up my new baby.

Adragontattoo

Another Va person here, no MV yet but the plan is in place and this thread is VERY informative.

Ok, so who is the VA driver I saw out in Winchester a couple weeks ago in the Pinz?

Im on hold for buying a duece until I get out of the Condo I am renting. I have no where I could park the truck and would probably have to file a stolen vehicle report if I parked it in my area anyways.

micmccon

I just won one on GL. I have to wait for my EUC to clear and then I can pick it up. I'm excited about it, but need to find a transportation option other than "just drive it". It might be drivable, might not. If anybody knows someone who could help get a deuce home from Ft. Indiantown Gap to Fredericksburg, I would be greatly appreciative! @Redneckmbxer24, I saw your post about getting stuck 30 mins after getting yours and I chuckled. I seem to think I could get one stuck in my yard, so I didn't laugh too hard!
:-D

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how much help I can be with the recovery, but I have some mounted tires if you have any flats, and are in need. Depending on which way you go, I'm on the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks