• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Questions

cucvrus

Yes. That will work. This is a scrap near new radiator I picked up. It was scrapped. I knew what it was as soon as I seen it. Bought as scrap. DSCF7030.JPGDSCF7031.JPGDSCF7032.JPG$100. later all cleaned out and checked. It was twisted and mis-handled as scrap. DSCF7096.JPGDSCF7097.JPGAs it is now. I picked it up at the radiator shop today. Ready for another project. Take Care. Be Safe.

SouthernSteel256

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have probably abused an M1009 in stock form more than anyone else outside of the military. I never had any radiator failures. A few clogged cooling fins from axle deep mud. But nothing a pressure washer couldn't clean out. I have installed no fewer than 25 of the Harrison plastic aluminum and they get my seal of approval. It's a Simple Task. the choice is yours. But I will add make sure you replace the radiator isolators at the time the new radiator is installed to avoid failures in the securement. Do it right the first time and never look back. No half fast work done in my camp.
Do you have the part number handy for the aluminum/plastic radiator or a link?

cucvrus

I would buy it at Autozone for the same price as Parts Geek and that way you can visually inspect it before taking it home for install. Also I recommend you change the isolator mounts, hoses, cross over manifold gaskets, and rear head cover plate and temp sensor gaskets. Do as you wish. Good Luck. Be Safe. And do it right the first time.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know a new copper/brass radiator is available right?

Do a search for a copper/brass radiator install.
I installed mine over two years and it’s been flawless ever since.

Pricey, but worth every penny.

cucvrus

Also if you do not need the tanks I could use the passenger tank as I need a good one for a damaged one.
[/QUOTE]

Are you looking for an old Harrison Radiator tanks? Copper and Brass style? I will have one in a month of so. I can Sawzall off both tanks and mail them to you on your account. I don't want anything for the old tanks if that helps you out. Let me know. Thank you. Be Safe.

Zeus51

I am compiling a list of parts and numbers before placing an order and tackling this. Here are the parts I was going to order so far (please feel free to add something or offer opinions):

Radiator rebuild vs. autozone b850
Rad Mounts Prothane 7-1712
Thermostat autozone 15478
Water outlet gasket, part number ???
Water temp gauge, installed on water pump vs. coolant crossover just before the heater core connection with a Tee, isn't there constant flow thru core?
Oil temp gauge, still looking for best location to ensure dumby lights still work
Cold advance switch rear passenger, Standard TS-621
GP Sensor, rear driver SU102
Temp sensor, front driver, still looking for part number??
extra coolant
extra engine oil
extra transmission fluid

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where can I get this copper/brass radiator?
I don’t remember the part number now.
If you do a search, the thread I started about installing a copper/brass radiator should show up.
Has the part number and plenty of pictures.

cucvrus

You buy me an Autozone gift card for a Spectra plastic aluminum one and I will exchange my freshly rebuilt copper brass one. You pay the shipping. That is how strongly I prefer the plastic aluminum radiators. I have had them in every new truck I bought for the past 25 years and do not recall any of the leaking. Big over the road trucks have the plastic aluminum radiators. Times move on and things change. I am only stating this because it will be less expensive to buy a new one. they come with a LIFETIME warranty.

Pricey, but worth every penny. You do know if it cools the engine and holds hot coolant under pressure it is doing what it is designed to do. So if it can be made out of lighter material and still does the job it is just a matter of personal preference. Good Luck and Stay Safe.

Must be for manual transmission. NO transmission cooler. https://www.radiatorexpress.com/pro..._campaign=PRODUCT ADS(BSC)&utm_term=458544452

saddamsnightmare

March 28th, 2020

Better luck to you. I had my Jeep Wrangler's radiator and coolant system cleaned (2006 model), and the tank had embrittled and broke from the cleaning. I'd take a traditional radiator any day. Look around your area and you might find a traditional radiator repair guy who can put a new core in your old tanks.... The modern stuff, is to put it politely...junk. When I had my M35A2's radiator cleaned, it leaked like a sieve and was unrepairable. Fortunately White Owl had a new one in the box for $600, and I make $300 back selling the old radiator for scrap! You have to love those brass radiators!

Zeus51

You buy me an Autozone gift card for a Spectra plastic aluminum one and I will exchange my freshly rebuilt copper brass one. You pay the shipping. That is how strongly I prefer the plastic aluminum radiators. I have had them in every new truck I bought for the past 25 years and do not recall any of the leaking. Big over the road trucks have the plastic aluminum radiators. Times move on and things change. I am only stating this because it will be less expensive to buy a new one. they come with a LIFETIME warranty.

Pricey, but worth every penny. You do know if it cools the engine and holds hot coolant under pressure it is doing what it is designed to do. So if it can be made out of lighter material and still does the job it is just a matter of personal preference. Good Luck and Stay Safe.

Must be for manual transmission. NO transmission cooler. https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/radiator/chevrolet/1984/k30/base/57l-v8/221126/1053010?msclkid=6bbc9d3e3f0c1ca8f7e5c3418430a13f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PRODUCT ADS(BSC)&utm_term=458544452
Cucvrus, to be clear: you are saying that you prefer the new aluminum/plastic ones over the old copper/brass rads?

cucvrus

Yes I do. I never had one fail for me in a CUCV or any of my trucks. They are in every new vehicle out there and I removed a lot of old Harrison radiators from CUCV's over the years and replaced them with Harrison aluminum plastic. General Motors discontinued the copper / brass as early as 1995. They are a direct fit.

Last edited:

cucvrus

March 28th, 2020

Better luck to you. I had my Jeep Wrangler's radiator and coolant system cleaned (2006 model), and the tank had embrittled and broke from the cleaning. I'd take a traditional radiator any day. Look around your area and you might find a traditional radiator repair guy who can put a new core in your old tanks.... The modern stuff, is to put it politely...junk. When I had my M35A2's radiator cleaned, it leaked like a sieve and was unrepairable. Fortunately White Owl had a new one in the box for $600, and I make $300 back selling the old radiator for scrap! You have to love those brass radiators!
I have replaced a lot of Dodge/Jeep plastic tanked radiators. That is not a reflection of plastic aluminum in general. I seen the Dodge Durango plastic tanks crack and get brittle that you could crumble them. Jeep Liberty's also have poor cooling systems and every engine that Chrysler/ Jeep/ Fiat makes that ends in .7 is a poor engine. My friend owns a salvage yard and sell every Chrysler / Fiat engine that comes in. And personally I replaced a few of the plastic aluminum radiators in the 4.7 Durango's / Dakota's and the engines get that hot under normal use that they solidify the plastic tanks and make them basically melt from under hood temperatures. The engines and blocks look like they are encrusted in a rust and corrosion and eat the cores of the radiators out from cavitation. But on the GM trucks I have had and have at work we have over 200K on several plow trucks and they have the original radiators in them Not much left of the rest of the truck but the plastic aluminum radiators are holding up well. I had a friend with a 2006 F250 6.0 diesel and the engine block was rusted thru. The radiator still held fluid. I have accepted new vehicles as reliable , comfortable transportation. I wouldn't want to drive any old vehicles on a daily driver basis. I don't dislike them but they are not as reliable as newer modern vehicles as daily drivers in ALL situations. Good Luck with what ever choice you make. Be Safe.

cucvrus

That radiator is getting ready to check out. It also appears to be a very thin cored radiator. Possibly a 2 core. Original CUVCV radiators were 4 core. And they did make replacements that are 3 core. The number of rows makes the heat exchange greater. In reality you can use a 3 core. I have used 3 core replacements for years in plow trucks and my wood hauler M1009. Plowing snow and pulling trailers makes lots of heat and I never had an issue with it. So I would get ready to change that radiator now. Be proactive. Don't wait till it overheats or just plain blows out. I had a 1984 Diesel Chevette that I bought new. It had a little 4 core radiator in it. Harrison made great radiators for all GM vehicles. Many are discontinued at this point. The after market replacements are great equal replacements. Basically they cool the coolant. If they do that they are doing the job. Good Luck. Stay Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks