• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator

DanMartin

A little high...seen them go for about $750 or so (Multifuel). OD Iron sells them for $740.20. Still expensive.

Radiators for gassers are even more expensive (but you can use a MF one from what I'm told).

Take good care of your radiators! When they go, they are pricey to replace.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Radiator

desertfox said:
The Radiators are manufactured by Indiana Heat Transfer Corp. MFG 0J567, BM#3240, Phone-574-935-3171.
Gary, how much are they getting for them?, I've got 2 that need fixing, but haven't asked for a quote from anyone yet.....

devilman96

I can tell you that there is little to no profit in radiators!!! There is a good supply of used take outs floating around these days and buying one up is not a bad idea becasue with scrap paying what it does most guys do not bother keeping them around. Shipping is expensive but its a deal to get your hands on a good core!!

If anyone needs one call Matt with Green Gem Motors in Live Oak, FL... I buy my personal stuff from him! 386-364-4669

jim-m35a2

I took mine into a radiator shop and they fixed the holes in it and attached the left top bracket back on that was broken for $68.00. The guy said I should get another 2 years out of it. I told him I could get a used one for $450.00 plus $100.00 shipping and he said not to do it.

How far down should I tighten the lower mounting bolds with the springs? Mine were very tight when I took the radiator off, probably why the top bracket pulled loose from the radiator.
________
MERCEDES-BENZ C291

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 450$ I'd sell you a radiator with the motor still attached to it. :shock: Who gave you that quote for a used one????

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, 450 is crazy for a radiator. I'd sell to get my spare tire carrier for the M48 before the only one "dissappears".

sermis

OK talking about radiators, what is the operating temp in Texas? I went on a 40 mile trip today and hit 240 and started to overflow. Slowed down and temp came down to 215 / 220.
What is the operating temp in Texas in 100 degree weather? What else will cause the temp to rise? Belts are tight. 50 / 50 antifreeze with treatment. I did paint it when I painted the truck. I am going to get it dipped and rodded out. What else will cause it to over heat?.

DanMartin

Take out your thermostat and put it in boiling water to make sure it's opening up all the way. They do wear out over time...

I bet getting it dipped/rodded will make a difference too.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even when my old one leaked, it never did that. You could have clogged tubes or a bad thermostat that is not opening all the way. I bought a used rebuilt one for $450 about 3 years ago. I have the old one in the shed as a possibly rebuildable spare. I didn't get it fixed because the buffoon that removed it took off the top mount and tried to remove it without removing the bottom springs and in doing so bent the mounting.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
OPCOM said:
Even when my old one leaked, it never did that. You could have clogged tubes or a bad thermostat that is not opening all the way. I bought a used rebuilt one for $450 about 3 years ago. I have the old one in the shed as a possibly rebuildable spare. I didn't get it fixed because the buffoon that removed it took off the top mount and tried to remove it without removing the bottom springs and in doing so bent the mounting.
The cooling system in the Deuce works a bit differently than a regular car/truck

If I'm wrong feel free to flame away.......

When I replaced the thermostat in one of my trucks, I was baffled by the configuration of the thermostat housing, after examining it for a bit I figured out how it worked, the thermostat opens as the motor heats up and forces the coolant through the radiator when the engine is hot, when the motor is cold the coolant bypasses the radiator and is routed right back to the motor. So its like a radiator bypass valve.

Not like all the chevys I've owned....

Reminds me of the coolant system we had for the radars I worked on aboard ship.

Ed

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When thermostats go bad, they usually stick/stay open, causing the engine to run cold. So, if you have an overheating problem, with my luck, its never the"quick fix". It the expensive one!

Lee in Alaska

jasonjc

Painting a radiator is a bad thing. They make a real thin paint for doing that. If the paint is to thick it can't trasfer the heat as well or at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks