• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the latest info from Indiana Heat Transfer Corp. Phone #574-936-3171-Spoke with Rick regarding BM#3240. He knew exactly what I was referring to and the price quote is $601.50 per radiator. He inferred that if a number were purchased at the same time there may be a price reduction? They still manufacture the deuce radiators in limited quantities.

sermis

I pulled my radiator due to the heat problem. Will have it rodded and cleaned.
I noticed that the fluid was green for the most part until the last and it was really rusty.
Will the rust settle out over night or is there a flow problem. I have not pulled the stat yet.

devilman96

sermis said:
OK talking about radiators, what is the operating temp in Texas? I went on a 40 mile trip today and hit 240 and started to overflow. Slowed down and temp came down to 215 / 220.
What is the operating temp in Texas in 100 degree weather? What else will cause the temp to rise? Belts are tight. 50 / 50 antifreeze with treatment. I did paint it when I painted the truck. I am going to get it dipped and rodded out. What else will cause it to over heat?.
Your tires!!! Back off with that foot!!!!

devilman96

In your case that is the probem... Where as a LDT has a hard time under normal conditions staying warm enough when you toss in tires you have to have a cooling system that is working 100% to keep up with the heat... If not you get that slow but steady temp rise which only backs down by letting off of the pedal...

Put a filter system on the coolant when you get your radiator cleaned out... It does help with the trash.

Propane.... Reserve coolant tank.... lots of things you can do for speed!!! Cause I like 80 better than 70!!!

devilman96

Geee ummmm... Makes them run faster but cooler... lowers EGTs... boost HP... I know nothin bout these things im just a parts guy, your the truck builder!!! lol

O i know what propane does to it smartass rofl. but i have not looked into putting it on the deuce yet. but since mine is almost tore clear down. its time to start adding it and some other things :D. and guys thought the diablo build was bad

Flea

Geeze guys, I'm still running a cold weather front and have only touched 200* once or twice this summer. And I have verified that the temp gauge is reading accurate (or close enough). Perhaps a lazy cruise at 45-50 mph and no load have something to do with that, though.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, gimpy's stays cool because it's only putting out 100hp!

With a turned up pump, towing a 20,000 lb M108, and 95 degrees air, my truck ran 220 degrees plus. Just towing 6000 lbs can get it pretty hot. Without a load, it runs 180-190.

I've tested the thermostat, had the raditator cleaned, fresh antifreeze, and checked the water pump. I just think the radiator is a bit small for what I'm doing. It's never overheated or overflowed.

Dennis

jim-m35a2

Desertfox.............how many radiators would have to be spoken for before Indiana Heat Transfer Corp gave a reduction in cost?

Before I installed my repaired radiator back in to the Deuce, I painted it. Just a thin coat on the fins but the temp guage got up to 210 degrees. Ran it hard and the temp guage read 180 degrees and stayed there.

Jim
________
Uggs

Last edited:

devilman96

jim-m35a2 said:
Desertfox.............how many radiators would have to be spoken for before Indiana Heat Transfer Corp gave a reduction in cost?

Before I installed my repaired radiator back in to the Deuce, I painted it. Just a thin coat on the fins but the temp guage got up to 210 degrees. Ran it hard and the temp guage read 180 degrees and stayed there.

Jim
Lots of 10 will save you about $100, their lead time runs about 120 days...

55Cameo

I have a hard time getting mine to 165 degrees on a 95 degree day with my foot on the floor and 53" tires. Maybe my gauge isn't reading correctly but it sure doesn't seem hot at all. I don't have the fuel turned up though.

saddamsnightmare

July 25th, 2008.

My experience here in Paris, Texas during the July 4th Parade this year- High 91/92*F, walking pace with the deuce.... about 170*F on the guage and no problems.... On the road in 98-100*F temperatures, not pulling hard 170-180*F, so I guess I must either have a good radiator, water pump or both....
You may want to check your thermostat, and have the radiator properly cleaned out and flush the cooling system...... too much heat is not good for the deuce, but when you consider the size of these radiators, $750-1250 ought not to phase you guys... Model T radiators new are over $600.00, and they are much smaller lighter duty units.... When I owned an EMD GP-9 1750 HP roadswitcher (Diesel) locomotive, the radiators (2) on those would give you a heart attack when replacement time came around.....

Just my 2cents worth...
Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The radiators are an exact replacement. Same radiator we have in most all M35s.
Anyone want to take a poll on how many are willing to commit to purchase a new radiator??

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All right I gotta ask, why would anyone buy a 600$ new one when you can buy used ones under 100$ all day long? I must be slow as I know where to get many for under 100$ and haven't really searched.