• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator

jasonjc

If they are in good shape. The shipping would be worth it. All 3 would fit on a pallet easy. plus with the fuel the way it is shipping across town is better than driving. As for the GA rally it's too far from me right now. :(

sermis

Well I had the radiator rodded out. He said it was 2/3 clogged. Refilled with 5 gallons of anti freeze and 2 pints of stabilizer and distilled water. Went for a 60 mile test run with my foot in it and air temp around 100 to 101. Water temp hit 200 and stayed there for the whole trip. Truck speed was 60-65 on the flats and pulling hard on the inclines. Temp dropped down to 180 – 190 in town.

DanMartin

There ya go! 200 degrees on a 100 degree day isn't bad...especially under load (your foot). It got back down to 180 in-town, so I think you're cooling problems have been solved!

I would take Mike's advise and put a coolant filtration set-up on that truck to keep you running cool in the future...

sermis

One step ahead. I installed a coolant filter when I put the radiator back in the truck. Problem is I could not get the lower plug on the water pump to budge. I was able to get the upper one out and plumbed it back in there. Not sure if it will flow enough water to do any good.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
hndrsonj said:
All right I gotta ask, why would anyone buy a 600$ new one when you can buy used ones under 100$ all day long? I must be slow as I know where to get many for under 100$ and haven't really searched.
:shock: Where?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, just looking a bit I have 1, wrecker had some, green gem had several. Just look around. Like I said earlier i'd sell a running multi and radiator for 450$. Parts are cheap if you just look. Heck dragon arms in CO is dropping a heck of alot. I'm thinking of another project cause of prices. Haven't checked but I believe blythewood (I believe) had some parts trucks (5 tons) and could check radiators there. Shipping is the problem. :roll:

littlebob

Great subject. I only had a few months to let mine idle in the yard and drive around the block. It never overheated untill I took it out and tried to clean it out by putting A/C coil cleaner in it, now I'm trying to put it back together and it won't idle for more than about 15min without getting to the top of the operating range.
I plan on getting mine rodded out. Anybody have an idea on what cost to expect?
Thanks,
littlebob

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding another souce for new radiators. Have not compared prices to Indiana Heat Transfer.
McCord Heat Transfer
500 Jackson St.
Columbus, IN 47201
812-377-5000
Unless you really trust the person you are buying a used radiator from, you are buying a" pig in a poke". I would prefer to purchase a new radiator knowing I would not have to spend time and money to have it repaired. And no worry after instal.
Well, this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to it. :lol:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, your fan blade is on backward. You will also have no flow thru the inhibitor you put on, it is plumbed into the pressure side. It needs to have a suction to pull it thru the filter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner said:
Steve, your fan blade is on backward.
Great observation Will. :shock: I see it too, now! Made me go right out and check one of mine that runs hot.

edit; wishful thinking, I still need a new radiator.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got one of my radiators cleaned out/repaired, but need the correct antifreeze/additive for diesel engines. I'll try Fleetpride here in town but I think they will be pricey.....

The "stabilizer" for the antifreeze, anyone have a brand?, where to purchase?

The Autozone guys looked at me like I was from Mars......

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
FMJ, just go in the auto parts place and look for yourself. I found on the bottle that its rated for Cat and Cummins specs. Good enough for me. Can't remeber the name of it right now. Maybe go to Kenworth or Peterbuilt store.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Autozone, Kragan, Pep Boys...they will not have a clue. Find a NAPA or another big truck service center. Pete, KW, IHC, Volvo, etc.

sermis

I can't get the plug on the water pump out. Is there another option to plumb it back into?
I never looked at the fan. I just put it back on the same way I took it off.