• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
History documents well the convergence of the Railroad Industry and the War Effort that was World War I.

Ninety-six years ago today, in 1917, most of the Railroad System of the US became MILITARY VEHICLES ! ! !
Additionally, under government control to support of the war effort, "Over 100,000 new railroad cars and 1,930 steam engines were ordered--designed to the latest standards--at a total cost of $380 million."

These were indeed MILITARY VEHICLES.

On behalf of the supporters of an SS Railroad Forum, I present this "substantiating evidence"... <GRIN>...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-...nment-takes-over-control-of-nations-railroads

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I have a question for the antique railroad collectors here on the site I saved these signal locks from the scrapper last summer they were in a bucket of brass they were going to ship to china. I want to list them on a well know auction site to sell them there is 14 of them with a whole bunch of keys they are local from the CJ&E railroad which was the Chicago aurora and elgin railroad known around here as the old third rail any ideas.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on condition, and railroad, I have seen them go for as much as 100.00 a piece. Since they have keys, that is a plus. A google search will give you some idea of the prices out there.

Fishtail

I have a question for the antique railroad collectors here on the site I saved these signal locks from the scrapper last summer they were in a bucket of brass they were going to ship to china. I want to list them on a well know auction site to sell them there is 14 of them with a whole bunch of keys they are local from the CJ&E railroad which was the Chicago aurora and elgin railroad known around here as the old third rail any ideas.
You can't list them on a well-known auction site as they don't allow RR locks and keys to be sold per their policies. As a collector myself, I'd say you have $100-$150 each lock plus probably $50 each key if marked similarly.

Last summer I took some bags of cans into the local recycler, and he had a brass RR lock on his desk, some old lady found in the garage and turned it in with her recyclables. I had about $15 in cans, so I swapped it for the lock.:naner:

Scott

ranchhopper

I didn't know they couldn't be listed I know spikes, tie plates and rail iron is illegal to own without written permission of the railroad as they still technically still own it but this railroad went under in the 50s.

ryan77

I didn't know they couldn't be listed I know spikes, tie plates and rail iron is illegal to own without written permission of the railroad as they still technically still own it but this railroad went under in the 50s.
We still use those locks on stuff at my work! We have them on valves with a chain to lock them out on the old boilers!!

PureMayhem

You have a huge job ahead of you. In the 70's, I drove truck for Oscar Cooke, who was setting up his museum, Oscar's Dreamland, outside Billings, Montana. The main focus of the museum was antique farm machinery, cars and trucks, etc. He also had an M4 high speed tractor in there which I would love to have. As the years went by, he assembled a narrow gauge railroad on the property, with a steam and a diesel locomotive. The old man was rich, and could do anything he wanted. He went around Montana buying old buildings like barbershops, a depot, and many others, and had them moved to the museum. It was truly awesome. I don't know what happened to the railroad equipment after he died in the early '90s. Krause auctioneers had to have two auctions to sell all the stuff. Maybe they have records of where some of the stuff went. Pagan
Pagan I know exactly where you are talking about. I lived in Billings in 1980 - 1982 and I used to store and fly my Ultralight airplane at Oscar's hanger. I would fly my ultralight all up and down the valley from Billings down to Laurel. Oscar did have quite a collection.

bobr2004

I think a Train Thread is very appropriate and fitting in as much as Railroads won the Second World War and continue to provide the most efficient form of mass land transportation. Shucks troops, if it weren't for the Railroad we wouldn't have any MVs' to enjoy.

trukhead

I'd give $50.00 for a lock and a matching working skeleton key.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks