• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

trukhead

https://www.bnsf.com/corpcomm/video...orpcomm/video/Wellington.flv&title=Wellington

Just to spice things up a tiny bit, here is some footage taken from (presumably) a Union Pacific locomotive. The train on which this video was produced has failed to approach a stop (red) signal "prepared to stop before any part of the train or engine" passes the signal. The air discharges you can hear are the train brakes being placed in the "emergency" position, and the independant (locomotive) brakes being actuated off (released) to prevent damage to the locomotive wheels (flat spots.) This occurred at Wellington Kansas around a year ago, and the footage was taken from the on-board camera mounted on the dash inside the engineers' side windshield.

The on-coming train is moving through a turn-out (switch) into a siding or other main line. If the timing had been just a little different, this could have been a head on collision. As it turned out, the train producing the footage got stopped within inches of the train passing through the turn-out. The crew undoubtedly was fired for a while.

Haste and "grandstanding" have no place in the operation of a train, or when moving heavy equipment. On several occasions, during my tenure on the Las Vegas-Yermo U.P. district, while laying over in Yermo, I would hear of soldiers on maneuvers at Fort Irwin being run over by tanks and trucks while camped out on the training range. Useless way to die. I understand the Army developed some kind of lights to place around such an area. I hope so. Be hard do get any sleep wondering when an M-1 is going to puree your butt into the desert. Pagan
...by the skin of his teeth...

I didn't realize the train that held the camera was moving until I viewed this clip a few times. WOW!!! Thanks for posting this clip!!:shock:

I wonder if there were some dirty drawers after that episode?:doh::eek:

SS needs a "just filled my pants emoticon"

Tell me were to get the program or what ya gotta do and I'll draw it.[thumbzup]:whistle:

Last edited:

APM215

Here’s my contribution. Some random pic’s from work

Attachments

Pagan

Amtrak hiring engineers

Just in case some of our fellow members would be interested in such a position, here is notification from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen of some new Amtrak positions. I would find it satisfying to see people whos' hearts are in the right place, the members here, get these positions should they desire them. Pagan

CLEVELAND, September 20 — Amtrak has advised the BLET National Division
that it is recruiting dozens of passenger engineers to fill open positions
in the coming months.

Specifically, Amtrak is hiring engineers in eight areas: Washington,
D.C.-Zone 2 (D.C. to New York City); Washington, D.C.-Zone 5 (Richmond,
Va., Newport News, and Charlottesville, Va.); Miami, Fla.; Sanford, Fla.;
Jacksonville, Fla.; Charlotte, N.C.; Raleigh, N.C.; and Florence, S.C.

According to Amtrak’s “help wanted” ad: “Duties include safe operation of
locomotives, complying with train orders, wayside signals, railroad
operating rules, special instructions, federal, state and local
regulations to transport passengers and equipment safely and efficiently.
Perform air brake tests as required. Must make timely and critical
decisions under stressful conditions frequently.”

Additionally, “candidates must have a high school diploma or GED.
Candidates must have a current Class 1 Engineer Certificate and have
operated an engine within one year. Candidates must pass the Hogan
Personality Inventory test. Candidates must be able to report to their
crew base within a two-hour call period. Rate of pay ranges from $22.35
(training) to $38.49 per hour, depending on how much service the candidate
has as an engineer.”

Please fax resume as soon as possible to: (202) 906-3349. Please indicate
“Attention: Nicole Donnelly-ENG” on the fax cover sheet. Please code your
resume for location desired: WAS-2, WAS-5, MIA, SFD, JAX, CLT, RGH, or
FLO.

Interested parties are also advised to check the Amtrak website to see if
these and other possible engineer vacancies are listed. Please go to
www.amtrak.com and click on “careers.”

Amtrak is an equal employment opportunity employer. EOE, F/M, D/V

(BLET Editor’s Note: Amtrak provided the language for this job vacancy
announcement as well as the brief description of passenger engineer job
duties.)

Motorcar

As information, classes are 8 to 10 weeks based on territory (additional time for electrification) unless things have changed of recent. They used to do a re-entry class for currently qualified engineers new to Amtrak that only lasted two weeks, but that has been gone for some time now. A 90% passing grade is required on nearly daily quiz questions and on finals. If at any time the score drops below 90% the student is terminated from the program. After successful completion of the classroom course, the student goes to the field for hands on training. A minimum of 480 hours of on the job training with 240 hours of logged throttle time is required for full certification. Prior engine service is credited towards pay and vacation benifits. National seniority established on day of class graduation is the rule, with zones in place to keep people from jumping around for fair weather. There are currently about 1,500 Amtrak Locomotive Engineers nationwide.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI yes we should,would love to do it but not sure if could have a lot of pics could post too of military rail stuff.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haste and "grandstanding" have no place in the operation of a train. This is very true trukhead,I know this since I have run loco's both light (no cars) and with some cars including passenger cars (then you have lives at stake) too. I have done this in a diesel/electric,an all electric and a steam one,when the average loco today is around 150 to 185 tons you need to remember that 1 wrong move could be a very serious mess. The avarage train pulls 80 to 150 cars haulling every thing from food to ammo,stopping distance is 3/4 to 1.2 miles.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ge7348t.gifUS Army 2-8-0 #620.jpgHI y'all im a rail guy here in cali as some of you know heghe would be willing to start a RXR one if could get some help in setting it up.

The diesel loco (US ARMY) we have 2 and 1 US NAVY one on the Niles Canyon Railway here in ca.

sebaeb

I work for a class 1 railroad and about 2.5 yrs ago i took a ammunition train to indianapolis,In....thought we would have security guards riding along but that was not the case...not even an "eye" in the sky that we could see....was neat reading the paper work on what we were transporting.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this belong here or in Tracked Vehicles?
View attachment 421284

Where's the COW CATCHER? It doesn't have a COW CATCHER ? ! ? ! ?

But it is Steam Powered, and it does at least HAVE Tracks (not "half-tracks") instead of running on Tracks. I like it!

It doesn't have a TENDER, but that's ok - It looks pretty TOUGH.

"Where we're going, we don't need railroads!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flge_rw6RG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AtE54HpXBM

Toot-TOOT !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks