• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent MEP 802A report

TurboJoe

This has been a learning experience, to say the least. Thank you all for your input. I was bidding on some of those units but was outbid on all of them. On top of that it was my first time bidding on GL. I had another post asking about how the exhaust was piped because I was concerned about the exhaust flap missing and how easy it would be for water to work its way into the engine. Thank you all for the input!
It seems its exceptionally easy for water to work its way in to the engine. As AVC pointed out, the real kicker was the set that was on fire. There is no salvaging that, the whole harness and most likely alternator head (generator part) are shot.

ETN550

6 months or more of outside storage from DRMO to a G/L sale is standard. However, its odd how they just rip off the exhaust flapper on about 70 units. Makes one wonder. It's a shame they leave all the machine tools outside to rust down, that's unbelievable. Nobody in the military seems to care about maintaining the value of equipment. I would think everyone involved could capture more dollars if the equipment was not abused after it is made surplus.

Sometime we just have to make lemonade out of the lemons. When done we have a better understanding of the unit, we know its exact status, and it can give us 20 years of service going forward. Still worth the money in the end.

reset2

I have bought several things a Meade. Most been just what is expected. A generator is a gamble. I bought a MEP 002a couple months ago and haven't had time to get it running yet but its in the garage now. All the power outages got me started again.
Talking to GL reps over the several trips I have put this together.
1. Military surpluses an item.
2. All scrap goes through GL.
3. GL decides to scrap or auction the item.
4. We see it on the auction schedule.
I suppose that the Government workers think that it is all scrap so not much attention is paid to handling.
This is just my thinking I don't know if any is concrete.

MusgroveM

Well if misery loves company, I'm in good company..... Water down the exhaust...In the engine... And to add insult to injury, some ass drilled 3 holes in the fuel tank. I epoxied 1 and tried to fill it, only to find the other 2 drilled through the frame in the bottom.
I have to agree with Tennessee though, before I got this, I knew very little about this 802a. It's time to set up the lemonade stand and make the best of it. We've gotten spoiled because most of the 002A's were easy fixes. This time we were the suckers. Good luck to everybody and remember to look for that exhaust flap.......
Mike

Last edited:

avc8130

I came across another problem.

The vast majority of these sets had engines full of water. We must realize this winter has been brutal in Maryland. There are very real possibilities some have cracked blocks and broken parts from the water freezing and thawing...

ac

BrendanB

Welll after being one of the first people to get their set running, im now the first to destroy a number one piston and cyl wall!
after running for 4 hours since purchase i herd a noise and lost compression in number one. I pulled the head and the piston was in peices.
so motor has allready been pulled and im using my tears to tear it down.

BrendanB

nope the number one is the one that was dry! they cyl that was stuck actually looks great.
had to take alot aprt but only had abou 1.5 hours into getting the motor out. I did allready have the head off at that point though.
i had to pull the main bolts that hold the gen head together to get it off the motor.

avc8130

nope the number one is the one that was dry! they cyl that was stuck actually looks great.
had to take alot aprt but only had abou 1.5 hours into getting the motor out. I did allready have the head off at that point though.
i had to pull the main bolts that hold the gen head together to get it off the motor.
Did you have to essentially get down to the "skid"?

Any pics of her all stripped down?

ac

BrendanB

No I was able to leave all the electronics in place, il try and remember to get some pics tomorrow for you.
By the time I got the motor out I didn't even want to look at it anymore and went home. Lol

avc8130

No I was able to leave all the electronics in place, il try and remember to get some pics tomorrow for you.
By the time I got the motor out I didn't even want to look at it anymore and went home. Lol
That's good news. Maybe Turbo can swap the motor from his "fire" unit into his "drowned" unit.

ac

max bowtie

Welll after being one of the first people to get their set running, im now the first to destroy a number one piston and cyl wall!
after running for 4 hours since purchase i herd a noise and lost compression in number one. I pulled the head and the piston was in peices.
so motor has allready been pulled and im using my tears to tear it down.
Wow Brendan! Any idea why after getting the head pulled and looking into the engine?

BrendanB

Its really hard to tell since the motor keep runnin on one cyl after the piston pet go.
So instead of seeing a piston in number one all I saw was a chunk of aluminum.
Il try and get some pics today, I'm going to swing it by a machine shop and see
about having it cut to press a sleeve in and new piston/rod.
If any one knows turbo I might be interested in his swamped motor for hard parts!

avc8130

Its really hard to tell since the motor keep runnin on one cyl after the piston pet go.
So instead of seeing a piston in number one all I saw was a chunk of aluminum.
Il try and get some pics today, I'm going to swing it by a machine shop and see
about having it cut to press a sleeve in and new piston/rod.
If any one knows turbo I might be interested in his swamped motor for hard parts!
I bet he'll be willing to sell some parts.

ac

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has a bad unit and is parting their 802a out please let me know. I need two of the brass nex nuts for the load terminal. Thanks

Update:
MusgroveM was kind enough to ship me off a couple brass hex nuts...Thanks Mike....

Last edited:

MusgroveM

latest update....
She lives......after
1) Adding oil and filter
2) antifreeze and radiator cap
3) new fuel filter and separator
4) repairing 3 holes on fuel tank (that tank isn't easy to get out)
5) Removing water from top of pistons
6) pouring liquid wrench into the exhaust over nite
7) swapping primary fuel pump for aux pump
8)new batteries and making a jumper to connect the batteries
9) Bleeding the air and R&R the injectors
10) not to mention I'm working outside during one of the coldest winters I've ever seen.
Now.....
The problem I'm having is, there is no power at he stud terminals..... 115V at the outlet, but nothing at the studs. Is there a 3 pole breaker that is hidden somewhere?

avc8130

latest update....
She lives......after
1) Adding oil and filter
8) new batteries and making a jumper to connect the batteries
10) not to mention I'm working outside during one of the coldest winters I've ever seen.
Now.....
The problem I'm having is, there is no power at he stud terminals..... 115V at the outlet, but nothing at the studs. Is there a 3 pole breaker that is hidden somewhere?
Have you dropped your control panel down and looked behind?

ac

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
latest update....
She lives......after
1) Adding oil and filter
8)new batteries and making a jumper to connect the batteries
Now.....
Congrats on at least getting yours running MusgoveM. My first one fired right up....Second one is giving me problems.

Turns over but will not fire. I sprayed a smidge of ether in the air filter and she does run. I pulled the fuel line going to the one of the injectors and its getting fuel. I tried removing one of the injectors but I can't pull it out. It will turn and come up a 1/8 inch but not anymore. Any suggestions?

avc8130

Congrats on at least getting yours running MusgoveM. My first one fired right up....Second one is giving me problems.

Turns over but will not fire. I sprayed a smidge of ether in the air filter and she does run. I pulled the fuel line going to the one of the injectors and its getting fuel. I tried removing one of the injectors but I can't pull it out. It will turn and come up a 1/8 inch but not anymore. Any suggestions?
PB Blaster around the injector.
Loosen the fuel line nut, but do not remove, just crack it loose.
Remove the keeper.
Use a wrench to rotate the injector while PB Blasting.
Use a pry bar to pop injector.
Remove line.

About the only way I could get the 6 we've played with apart.

ac

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks